Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a right ejector that the small pin has broke off flush with the back of the ejector. How were these originally installed? I am assuming another pin could be installed for a repair. How should this be done?

Also did the firing pins in this gun vary in size by comparison to the 20 or 12 ga? I also have a broken firing pin on the same side as the broken ejector pin.

I picked this gun up on the broker very reasonable. I do not think the seller could open the gun (the firing pin was stuck too far out to let the gun open beyond just a little bit)and as such he had very little info and marginal pics. I saw just enough and had to give little enough to take a chance and picked up a real nice gun with excellent barrels (in/out and sound), good wood and except the two issues above, everything else looks great and original.

Many thanks

Travis

Last edited by Travis S; 07/15/19 08:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The firing pins are all the same. The early bushed firing pins were made in three different sizes, but that was for a Regular frame gun.

Travis in reading your post again, you are talking about the split extractor stem that has a broken pin. They are pressed in and you should be able to see the pin showing faintly on the outside where it was ground.

Last edited by David Williamson; 07/15/19 09:08 PM.

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is not the main split stem but the smaller pin. I will look a little closer. I figured it was not too difficult a fix.

I have extra firing pins so I should be up and running in short order.

Many thanks

Travis

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pin was threaded in. you would have to drill out any remains of the old pin (without damaging the threads) and make a new pin and thread it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Travis,
If you have or can find a left hand drill small enough to miss the thread, it may back the pin out.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have some micro drills bits so off to the races.

Thanks to all

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Travis S
I have some micro drills bits so off to the races.

Thanks to all

Don't forget to start with a well centered dimple made with a sharp center punch. Small drill bits "walk" very easily. Use high rpm and low pressure. If the broken surface is very uneven, it often helps to use a carbide dental burr to smooth things up. Ask your dentist to save some used burrs for you. This is the kind of job that makes me glad I bought a Unimat lathe-mill-drill years ago.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can find a left hand center drill in the size you need it will be well worth the cost, even if you never use it again. They don't wander.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here ya' go, Travis. Great company to do business with. Ship very quickly.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/01043017

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The steady pin is driven in but the thing we may all been missing is that there is a second pin driven across the steady pin from the side of the ejector in order to hold it in place. This has to be drilled out first as it is a blind pin and does not go all the way across the ejector I do not think.

Under magnification I can see where the second pin is actually breaking through the face of the ejector by me trying to whack the steady pin out without first removing the second pin.

OH well it had to happen. The ejector is not beyond repair but I imagine some tig is the future.

Anyone want to sell me a spare 16 bore LC Smith FW right side ejector so I can at least get up and running for the dove opener?

Thanks

Travis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.