April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (LRF, Jolly Bill, CJF, 3 invisible), 1,040 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,122
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54951 09/03/07 02:45 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Traded for a Baikal IZH 94 30-06 O/U this weekend. Always wanted a double rifle and thought this might be a cheap way to try one out. Traded a Savage 24V 222/20ga that was a coyote slayer, so I was hoping this gun wasn't a big piece of crap. Got it home and shot about 10 rounds through it at my property and was pleasantly suprised. At 75 yards, from a bench (picnic table) with a homemade sandbag, you could cover all 10 shots with a piepan. I wasn't expecting same hole type accuracy, but I didn't think it was bad for the first time out. Surplus military ammo too, so who knows with some better ammo. I've obviously never owned a double rife and was wondering if it was worth trying to regulate the lower barrel. They have some sort of adjustment screw on it so you can play with it a little. Anyone have any experience with this? Does it work as designed?

Lloyd Purvis - Director of Collegiate Scouting
College Prospects of America
cpoaohiovalley@yahoo.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have any experence with the Baikal but I do have a custom made 45-70 made on a 20ga Ruger Red Label action. The smith who made it spent a lot of time regulating it and got it to where it will drop them almost on top of oneanother at 25 and keep less than 2in at 50. More than useful hunting accuracy.

What I learned from him was that different loads will cause the barrels to converge or diverge depending on the vibrations created. Kind of complicated.

If your rifle has the system that allows you to adjust the barrels by all means play with it. Pick a couple of loads you will be hunting with and then see which one you can get to shoot the tightest groups with. I'm guessing that 2 inches at 50 is doable.

Ray Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Go to the EEA website,www.eaacorp.com, and click on the manuals button. You can download the manual for the IZH 94 Express rifle. The manual provides instructions on regulating the barrels, which is worth the effort. Have fun with the gun,it's the poor mans way to have a double rifle. I have one, and to be honest, the quality isn't bad at all for the money.

Ray #55488 09/07/07 06:08 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The friend of mine got this piece with set of 3 barrels, smooth, combination and DR 308Win.
There was little problem with DR barells crossing point and MOA, but he fixed it just like that, but you have to undestand what'cha doing turning this screw at muzzle and check it every time by shooting. Don't forget to cool barrels before every regulating step.
Finally he got 1MOA at 100 yards from the first two shots and about 2MOA with six shots and no more, than 20 sec between every two shots.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Baikal IZH guns are functional and well built. I picked up a IZH 27 o/u in 12ga. I have used it on everything from quail to high flying geese. It digests whatever I feed it and keeps on working. I remember when the 94 came on the market here. I remember reading about a lot of folks who were very happy with their new inexpensive double rifles. Most were eastern deer hunters. How can you complain about a gun that costs less than half of a Valmet/Tikka/FinnClassic double rifle? If memory serves, most of them preferred the lighter 150 / 160 grain bullets.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Built like a tank and mine has some really nice wood. If I can get 4-5" groups at 100-150 yards, I'll be one happy camper. I sure wish the barrels came sxs, but beggars cant be choosers. If I ever decide to step up to a nice SxS rifle, I'll just trade this one plus about $4000 cash and take it on home! I'll probably never have the means to do that (except Powerball Lotto) so that makes me even happier to get this one in 30-06. Pretty good all around caliber for N.America. Thanks for the comments - all good stuff.

Lloyd Purvis - Director of Collegiate Scouting
College Prospects of America
cpoaohiovalley@yahoo.com

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.