May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (bbman3, Marks_21, HMAK, KDGJ, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,430
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Craig, I'd be tempted to buy a Mossberg from you just to make you feel good. The old NRA lie that any concession would lead overnight to total confiscation and a return to the Dark Ages is just what it is , a lie. The regulations on Class III weapons shows that regulation of some types of firearms works. Trump is toxic, no doubt, but the less he put shis tiny hands on the wheel, the better off we all are.

Bill, that old NRA canard is NOT a lie. There is no end to regulation until confiscation has been effected. Look at England. Look at Australia. Look at New Zealand. Look at Canada. The evidence is overwhelmingly against the position you just asserted.

And as a hunter/gun owner the only lies going on are the ones you tell yourself about how with just a little more regulation, all will be safe from the misuse of firearms and the anti gun faction will be satisfied.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CB, This is not England, Canada, or Australia or New Zealand. Those countries don't have our history, traditions, or constitution.However, since you brought them up, I'll just point out that their rate of gun deaths is a minute fraction of ours. Gun control works. Those countries are not totalitarian nightmares unlike Russia, North Korea, or the Phillipines, all countries whose leaders our President admires.I think how Americans feel about gun control has a lot to do with how close gun violence has come in their personal lives. My brother was shot to death in 1984. The teacher who was killed in the school shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon had been my student teacher a few years prior and a guide I fished with. All will never be safe, but we can do better. Not to try is stupid.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 06/24/19 03:40 PM. Reason: addition

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may be able to do better but you dont have a gun problem. You have a social problem. It always helps to solve problems by first acknowledging what the problems are.

Trying is understandable, especially with your personal connection to gun violence. It is the solutions put forward so often that seem stupid. Not the trying.

BTW its a social / mental health problem elsewhere as well. I just looked at the top 10 most wanted by Winnipeg police. Winnipeg is well on its way to recapturing the murder capital of Canada crown. More so far this year than all of last year. 9 of 10 were of native origins and most of those had obvious gang affiliation. Yet our government thinks the solution to gun violence is to further restrict the law abiding citizens who legally own and use guns responsibly.

In the face of idiocy, a certain amount of obstinance is required.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/24/19 03:37 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CB, What makes more background checks stupid? How could it be stupid to keep guys too young to buy beer from owing assault rifles? Yes, it's a social problem, but what makes it a problem is allowing misfits to get guns. Why can't we take steps to achieve just what we all want: guns owned by law-abiding citizens?

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Background checks are meaningless as long as healthcare providers are barred from warning police and family members about mental health issues. HIPAA restricts mental health reporting to much. Go back and look at all these mass shootings. 2/3 of the shooters have serious mental health issues. Most were known but you cant violate a HIPAA without running serious legal risks. Easier to not report. So all the red flags get ignored. No gun laws can be effective when you seal major information like this. Gun laws only stop law abiding people from breaking the law. Those who choose to break the law ignore them. And what is a minor jail sentence to someone willing to commit a mass shooting or rob a bank? Not even a consideration.

Sidelock
Sidelock

....I think how Americans feel about gun control has a lot to do with how close gun violence has come in their personal lives. My brother was shot to death in 1984. The teacher who was killed in the school shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon had been my student teacher a few years prior and a guide I fished with. All will never be safe, but we can do better. Not to try is stupid.

You gotta clear something up for me. You might entitle me to feel good about selling you a mossberg, but you turn around and claim feelings are for political weaponizing? Well wouldn't I feel short changed.

Sorry you've run into tragedies so close and personal to you. Since there was no crime and only law abiding use of firearms, do you feel subsequent gun control laws have done better, or not enough?

I have no idea of the stats, but I'd bet your great state ranks per capita near the top in the nation for recreational fully automatic weapon use, tactical rifle and handgun training, supressor use, heck all manner of game is taken at extremely long range with muzzle braked, synthetic machine shop wonders, right? Where's your state's gun crime come from, there or in the pockets of progressive, drug abusive, mental health wacked, dem. boondoggle hell holes?

Will you really feel better if the entire country is needy victims? Then, a cory or bern or kamala will unilaterally wave a magic wand and all will feel okay? Where do ya wanna take us Bill?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just quickly Bill.

First, what is an assault rifle and how is it different from other rifles?

Second, beer and all liquor, in an unarguable way, impairs judgement. Drink a little bit and be slightly impaired. Drink a lot and be a lot impaired. Owning a gun does not physically alter ones capability for making judgements. There is a giant difference between the two. Many here owned their first gun in their early teens. Quick show of hands....how many shot someone when they were a teenager?

BTW shooting someone on Uncle Sams payroll and instructions doesnt count.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/24/19 04:10 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CB, You're not sounding as astute as you usually do, maybe a bit more like Craig. The point is that if beer and immaturity are not a good mix, immaturity and firearms probably aren't the best idea either. You and I both know what assault rifle means, even if it's only semi-automatic. It's the ability to shoot fast and at great length.The other difference is they automatically look menacing to the public. There's a reason for that. I know two people who shot others to death as teens, one accidentally, the other on purpose Teen- agers in this country are disappointingly willing to shoot people. Read the news.KY Jon, by all means, let's enable Drs to rep[ort them. C raig, there are fully auto guns here. They're registered and don't appear in shooting deaths. They're not confiscated either.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

....You're not sounding as astute as you usually do, maybe a bit more like Craig....

....I know two people who shot others to death as teens, one accidentally, the other on purpose Teen- agers in this country are disappointingly willing to shoot people....

Thanks Bill, I think. I 'feel' like you're being evasive, you know, trying to read like you're reasonable, but no substance?

Asked again, and you can do better than that, where are you going with your anecdotes? The purposeful shooting may or may not be legal, and it's probably illegal to accidentally shoot someone. So, now you want to legislate the willingness to break the law? And, this will prevent what?

Let me expand on your example. Who taught these teens to be willing to shoot others? Their responsible parents or guardians, their mentors and role models, their teachers? Will it ever be possible for you to do an internal heart to heart, and decide not peddle your feelings on others when you haven't applied a little thought to them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most states have health care provider "mandatory reporting" requirements for domestic violence, evidence of physical, sexual or serious emotional abuse or neglect, self-harm, and for "a serious threat of physical violence against a reasonably identifiable victim", with protection for good faith reporting.
I've reported a school bus driver to the Mo. DOT who was proven to be using cocaine and heroin.
Scroll down about 1/2 way - past the "Counseling Patients about Firearm Safety" propaganda
https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/art...violent/2018-01

The problem of course is how does a provider decide if the threat is "serious".
I am not aware of a case in which a provider lost a suit for good faith violation of confidentiality, but as Jon said, it is easier (cowardly) just to not deal with it. But my Pediatrician sister reported a drug addict for child abuse and the addict threatened to kidnap and kill my sister's child. And health provider assaults and shootings by a disgruntled/mentally ill/angry patient are increasing markedly
https://www.modernhealthcare.com/providers/healthcare-workers-face-violence-epidemic

Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.