March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Dan S. W., Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 722 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#548563 06/18/19 08:46 PM
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is going to be a pretty puerile question but here goes. My son has been shooting my Remington 870 at sporting clays for two years since I introduced him to the sport. He doesn't get much charge out of our SxS's. He said the other day that he liked the pointing characteristic of the Remington but that he'd gone about as far as he can with the pump and at some point would like an O/U.

So, birthday coming up, I'm considering it. I don't want to spend more than about $1,500 and know zip about O/U's (and don't much like the looks of the things). But I see a lot of Browning Citori's and Beretta's for sale on gun broker. So, what would be a good o/u for him to shoot on the range. I don't think he's ever going to be a hunter (but you never can tell) and this will be a hobby, not an obsession.

Last edited by Argo44; 06/18/19 08:57 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

For clays, in your budget, hard to beat a Browning Cynergy CX. I have also owned a Beretta 686 and multiple Citori's. I find the latter too tall in the action. All were purchased for $1350 or less, some more used than the others. The Cynergy was practically
brand new.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're on the right track.

I'd advise to avoid the temptation to go cheap.

Trigger pull is a big part of a target gun, and either the Citori or 680 series lend themselves to a trigger job IF necessary.

Not everyone can work on a Cynergy. It's a good gun, but often has lousy triggers and it's a mechanical monstrosity like a Krieghoff.

There is a lot of junk coming out of Turkey, and a fair amount of junk out of Italy.

Citori or 68x are safe bets.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene,

See if you can find a Browning and a Beretta to try before you buy. The 680 series are rock solid, but you'll be buying an off the shelf gun. Just make sure the stock fits him reasonably well. If he is only planning to use it on clays, you'll probably want a heavier gun.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

From personal experience I would recommend the Beretta. Any of them in the 680 series. Very shootable guns, and rock solid, with excellent single triggers.

My best to your son, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

beretta and browning are the most popular...

it would be great if your son could go to a big range, where guns are for rent...kinda like drive one before you buy one...

for my money, the brownings are a best buy...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't overlook the SKB's. Every bit as solid as the Japanese Brownings. Choke tubes could be added for versatility.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good

for my money, the brownings are a best buy...

FWIW, I would take what anybody says about the value of a particular shotgun, who calls himself restoring case colors on shotgun actions with an acetylene torch, with a grain of salt .................or less.

SRH

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW. While it's been over 8 years, I spoke with a local former gunshop owner and gunsmith who sold both Browning and Beretta O/U shotguns. As for Beretta vs. Browning, he recommended the Beretta as he saw fewer problems or customer complaints over the years compared with the Brownings. When a Beretta had issues, parts were readily available. Browning Citoris were another story. Despite a higher frequency of repairs he experienced, parts were difficult to obtain from Browning. Maybe that's been rectified since then. Here's a review of the 686 including a stripping down of action and ejectors all done with simple tools or fingers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekjbgWBecgg&t=1212s

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've lost count of the number of non-professional sporting clays shooters that I know, who have shot Brownings' bolting loose in a few short years, to the point that the lever opens on it's own accord after the first shot. Not uncommon to see a young guy with a rubber band stretched around the wrist, and looped around the top lever from both directions. I've never seen but one Beretta do that, and it was bought second hand by a friend. I know there are those on here who love their Brownings and have never had this issue, but I'm not exaggerating the frequency with which I've seen this over the last 15-20 years .......... and it continues. I do not have a bone to pick with Browning, just reporting my experiences.

SRH

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.