March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (cable, craigd, battle, AZMike, FlyChamps, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Friend of mine has 110 acres he lives on but does little with the property. It is about 80% forested. I turkey hunt on it. As I have come to know it over the last few years, I have found about 7 what I consider to be large walnut trees. 4' to 5' in diameter 1' off the ground. Several of them have many significant large branches (trunks?) splitting off from the base within the first 4'. And they all have very large limbs higher up.

He's said if I want to do the work I can have one....they are all in the forest and no one but he and I would ever know one got taken down. Does anyone know what specific attributes should I look for when trying to decide which tree??

There is some heavy equipment available as well as trails through the forest so getting the logs out is very doable. I just want to select the best one.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

It depends on what you want to do with it. For lumber, straightness factors in hugely and fewer limbs are more desirable. Also, large limbs are often very unstable wood, so limb wood per se is not all that desirable.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

SamW asked me to post some photos of his homegrown walnut. Pretty nice stuff and very nice work, but we gotta help SamW with his Paul Bunyan outfit... smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If you're looking for figure, try to plan to get the stump out of the ground. The stuff that might be of most interest will look more like the chunk in Sam's picture than lumber. If you are starting to narrow choices down, see if you can figure out which ones were subject to the toughest and slowest growing conditions. It may not end up being on an easy trail. If you're doing it for fun, saw for maximum quality, not yield. Maybe, offer the odds and ends to woodworkers, like bowl turners, and don't worry about it if a bunch ends up as fire wood. Good luck with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Craig.....it's for fun and interest.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has been so muddy here this spring I even got my chainsaw stuck! Sam, what gauge are those ukes? ;}

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

soprano gauge. The stump photo was in 1989 in AR. The wood cured over 20 years in UT. AR is not the best local for stock wood walnut...very porous wood.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

The oldest black walnut trees in my part of the world are in old yards, where a house used to be, and may be chock full of nails and other things saw blades don't like. It seems to have been almost a given that a tenant house, or sharecropper's house, would have a walnut tree on the yard. They have the characteristic of emitting some odor or substance that drives fleas away. Maybe that is part of the reason for their popularity in yards of old. I have been told you could throw some walnut limbs, with green leaves, in a dog pen that is infested with fleas, and they would be gone overnight.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It matter knot whoz yard it grows in...

What matters for gunstock wood is it needs to be grown in a slow tree growth climate like Missouri or Californicatia.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
The oldest black walnut trees in my part of the world are in old yards, where a house used to be, and may be chock full of nails and other things saw blades don't like. It seems to have been almost a given that a tenant house, or sharecropper's house, would have a walnut tree on the yard. They have the characteristic of emitting some odor or substance that drives fleas away. Maybe that is part of the reason for their popularity in yards of old. I have been told you could throw some walnut limbs, with green leaves, in a dog pen that is infested with fleas, and they would be gone overnight.
SRH

Stan, when I was off to college, I came home one weekend to find wax myrtle limbs with leaves all over the house. Daddy's chihuahua had caught a dose of fleas and Mama had heard wax myrtle would drive them off. Quite a surprise!...Geo

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.