March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marshgrass, Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm planting/transplanting black walnuts at every opportunity. They won't be harvested in my lifetime. But, a couple of generations of care and there should be some good stuff!

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

I planted twenty five pecan trees when I was a kid. Only 12 of them are still alive today, but they are substantial. There were three different types and it has been so long I can not for the life of me remember what they were today. If you want to see squirrels (gray tree rats) in their glory, go there in September. I intend to take my grandson there squirrel hunting, when he turns five like my grandfather took me at that age. I even have a Remington Model 12 .22 like my grandfather had. If he likes hunting I'll leave him that section of woods so he can take is grandson some day. I'll even add a few more trees there for them to enjoy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is nothing like pecans to draw squirrels. Not to mention they are pretty tasty in and of themselves while you are waiting for the next squirrel to show up. I always liked hunting around pecans in the early fall in Georgia.

In the meantime, I have two giant slabs of crotch walnut drying in my barn loft right now. They came from a tree I cut in my lower pasture last winter. One day, it would be nice to have a rifle and shotgun stocked with wood from my own property.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon,
If you want to make a good deer hunter out of a kid, teach him to hunt squirrels.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Planting trees is a passion of mine on our property in Idaho. On our certified tree farm, which we manage for timber, I've planted American Chestnut, some almond and pecan trees. I planted a few hicans last year but they didn't make it. I'll attempt a few more when I have more time to take care of them properly.

Years ago I mentioned to my dad that he should plant some walnut trees for the wood, citing an article I read about the profitability after a certain number of years. His response "hell I won't live long enough to see them mature and who's going to take care of them. He didn't plant the numbers that I suggested but he evidently listened somewhat and planted 5-6 of the thin shell Carpathian variety. They're very large now and producing a heavy crop of nuts on a yearly basis and as a side note, he'll be 93 in a couple of weeks has lived long enough to harvest them if he cared to.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's where the money is, Don. An Italian hopped on a plane to look at a black walnut in Ontario 20 years ago, paid $25,000 for it. They're planted by the acre some parts of Nova Scotia. My brother and I weren't successful; deer a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I rip them out root and stem on all my properties.
Anywhere a squirrel buries one they sprout.
They ruin decks, window wells, and basement walls.
They poison the ground under themselves so nothing else can grow there as well.

Grow them where you don't want anything else.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yum, pecan pie. Trees can be a connection to our past and our future. Honestly at my age few trees will grow big enough that Ill ever see them harvested. But I planted 300 cedar trees on two of my farms because they make great Dove roost and nesting habitat. My sons and I have planted almost 50 walnut trees which we rarely even get a nut from. Besides picking out black walnuts is not a favorite pastime of mine. I even planted a couple Filbert trees because we had them on our farm when I was a boy.

The business side tells me to plant pine trees because they grow so quickly Id most likely still see one harvest in my lifetime. The leave it in better shape for the next generation part of me tells me to plant trees for wildlife and family to enjoy. But if I get a couple pecan pies out of it Ill be happy. And maybe a smiling grandson.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have made a couple of shotgun stocks from walnut I sliced out of a stump off my dad's property which I now own. Guess that fits fairly well in the "raising your own stock blanks" category. Also made a couple of ukuleles from the same stump.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sam, that's pretty interesting. Any chance of seeing a few pictures of the guns AND the ukuleles?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.