April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (R. Glenz, LGF), 248 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#546366 05/20/19 06:36 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I want to try my hand at carving a stock

I have a semi-inletted stock that I picked up cheap and want to fit it to a 1923 LC Smith FW field 12 gauge action. The wood is just plain ole black walnut. Nothing fancy.

Can anyone give me the summary order of steps in fitting beyond disassembly of the gun and any broad brush stroke tips. I am assuming the first step is fitting the top tang square to the back of the receiver with keeping the orientation of the side plates in mind?

I know this is something for the pros but the pros started out just like me.

I am willing to mess up for the education.

Many thanks

Travis

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would suggest starting with a boxlock first but if you are going to give it a go I will offer the following advice. Completely disassembly the action(cocking rods can stay). I would inlet the top tang about 60% of the way then lightly start the bottom strap into the action and the semi inlet. You have to watch a lot of things at once, depth of action into the wood from the top and front, twist left and right, sideplate cuts. Looking at an old stock can be very helpful. Be sparing with your inletting black and go slow. If you have specific questions ask away. Good luck but again, I would suggest an easier project first.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

First step-- make sure the inletted stock blank is the right size for your Smith- two main frame sizes, regardless of gauge- R frame-- longer- longer barrel lug than on FW series- also, lock plates for a FW Smith will have machine screws in the front section, plus the main one in the top rear of the plate-- If you try to fit a R framed Smith into an inletted blank for a FW frame Smith-- it ain't gonna be pretty! RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah I know a little ambitious.

Both frame and stock are for a FW frame.

I am going to do it but for now I am studying some stocks I have and measuring and just trying to get an initial lay of the land.

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

get a copy of craft of the gunsmith. he has a chapter on fashioning a stock for an english, sle. very useful. a dremel is helpful pluse some very sharp sculpting chisels of various sizes and shapes. SKBs is on mark, patience, patience, patience. i made a latex cast of the old, with the locks off of a LC 16, and used it as a guide along with a kero soot pot for blacking.

good luck

Last edited by susjwp; 05/21/19 07:11 AM. Reason: name
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

if you have a dremel leave it at a neighbors house. lc smith stocks are very difficult get some nice files and unless you are very good with chisels leave those at the neighbors also. the top tang and locks have to be done together or you will have gaps.im not a stock guy but i have seen the suffering caused by inletting a lc smith stock.best of luck

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is pretty funny but not bad advice but unfortunately I will chuckle but not heed smile

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I agree with mc about the Dremel. It has it's uses in my gunshop, but inletting is not one of them, IMO.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I meant I will not head the leaving the job to the professionals but I do agree and was never inclined to use the Dremel for the job. Scrapers and files and chisels Oh My.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And just go very slow. I have done that job a couple of times which means almost anyone can with care.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Travis
hi, I know nothing about stocking, but if if I were to try tackling it, I'd try doing some practice on some pine or poplar, or cheap wood..just to work out the tricky inletting bits
just an idea
best of luck, & keep us posted
cheers
Franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 06/12/19 11:01 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I have to believe that doing it the long first time with a sacrificial piece will make the second time hopefully not so long and higher chances of a better outcome.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.