April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (vern21), 1,031 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reifenhauser hulls have been around since the very beginning of plastic shotgun hulls.
I too like AA CF hulls, but they were just one type of hull design from the beginning. Nobody switched away from them.
Different companies had different solutions to hull construction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I decided to look at some of my own doubles to see what their breeches look like relative to this Smith. Some were indiscernible without pulling the extractors, which I did not do. I did discover along the way that I've been neglectful of cleaning the junk out from under the extractor. Lots of oil laden lint from patches and an occasional grass fiber here and there. So, that has been rectified.

Meanwhile, my Facile Princeps looks MUCH thinner than the Smith. In fact, the joining line seems to run into the rim cut. So I guess this gun should have blown along time ago...

I also discovered that my waterheater appears to have let go last night. It has leaked under one of my safes. Not a danger to the safe or contents since it is on some boards for just this reason, but clean up is in order while sorting out the exact explanation.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting Brent, and thank you.

The barrels are on the way.

Bro. Dewey gave me permission to post this

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd like the Preacher to tell us who made the notations in red pertaining to the photos above.

Since he obviously does not yet have the blown barrels in hand for in depth metallurgical analysis, it is apparent that these notations in red must be based upon visual analysis and observation of the photos alone. The Preacher attempted to thoroughly discredit me for saying much the same thing in his earlier locked thread. He cried that it wasn't possible to know the cause without his precious metallurgical analysis, and also felt that the missing piece of chamber would be crucial to learn the cause of this burst... something that I could never possibly see from just looking at photos. So just what is going on here, and who made these observations and this post mortem???

I still think the dark spot that is now acknowledged to be the initiation point of the burst was probably due to an inclusion or internal flaw in the barrel steel such as rolled-in scale. That dark spot would have been just as thick as the clean area immediately adjacent to it. If the braze joint was that compromised ever since the gun left the manufacturer, I think odds are that it would have digested some higher pressure ammunition over those many decades, and blown sooner. That was why I seriously doubted that these barrels had undergone a twice normal pressure proof test, as someone asserted.

I also said much the same thing pertaining to the tearing of the hull due to suddenly being unsupported by the part of the chamber that suddenly departed. I said that earlier in this thread, but that post got deleted, probably due to complaining to Dave by the Preacher, or one of his loyal flock.

Apparently, he didn't like me mocking his lack of knowledge to analyze a barrel blow-up, and his hysterics over the idea that a burst like this could result in a piece of shrapnel hitting a child in the skull... and oh my gosh, there would be a civil suit because the defendant didn't measure the barrel wall thickness in this area... which incidentally cannot be measured with conventional wall thickness measuring tools. He said that even though he has admitted that he continues to shoot his only Damascus barreled gun, an L.C. Smith with thin and pitted barrels. Gotta get stuff like that deleted. We can't go on speaking the truth around here, or someone might look like a disingenuous ass.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
attempted to thoroughly discredit me .

It is your compulsive lying and criminal activity that has discredited you Willie the Weasel. No board member could possibly discredit you like you have done to yourself William.

Originally Posted By: keith
Hi there Shortshells. I see you are making your second post with your new identity. Still too cowardly to use your other Doublegunshop screen name? Do you still think I don't know who you are? You should have covered your tracks better when you sent a cowardly anonymous intimidation letter to my house back in December. Your cyber security sucks and you let me right into your hard drive up there in N.Y. Too late to close the barn door now.

Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another "Crap-fest".. I trust Dewey Vicknair's analysis of this FUBARed "Elsie"-- the only one of my 12 gauge doubles with smooth chamber walls is the M21 my late Father bought slightly used in 1948, and gave me in 1981-- All my pre-1913 graded Smiths show some slight chamber roughness, another reason why I clean them thoroughly after a shooting session.

I believe Dewey tends to view the Smith design as overly complicated (the HOT) and prefers NOT to take one in his shop for repairs, etc. I bought the Smiths I own (and shoot) over the past 20 years from the late Brad B-- as they were priced lower than Parkers, and especially the fine A.H. Fox guns- being a cheap SOB, that factor appealed to me- still does today. If my Father hadn't bought the M21 in 1948, and gave it to me before he and Kay moved to Florida, I would NOT own one- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxy;
I hear you loud & clear. When I bought most of my Lefevers they were the most under-rated of all the American Classics. I paid less for my first one, an FE, than what a Parker Trojan would have cost or even a nice field grade, Smith, either with only extractors.

Very shortly I began studying its features & design & the Lefever very quickly became my Favorite of all the American doubles. Even today with Lefevers being more recognized I could still buy a very nice higher grade Lefever for what a Plain Jane 21, which in my opinion is about as ugly as a mud fence, would cost me.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Concurr-the "plain Jane M21- like mine- and the Parker Trojan- both fall in the "mud fence ugly niche"-- but if the stock dims, barrel length and chokes are suited to you and your shooting style-- hard to put "ugly gun" in the same bag with 3 dead rooster pheasants for 3 shots fired-- Sometimes: "uGLY IS AS UGLY DOES"- even an "Oklahoma 2-bagger at zero dark thirty at your neighborhood biker bar. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread has reinforced my sympathy for monobloc barrel construction. I would rather see the "joint" than these thin brazed walls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Interesting Brent, and thank you.

The barrels are on the way.

Bro. Dewey gave me permission to post this

Drew, seems like your friend is about spot on with what I have been thinking from the get go. The gun was doomed the day it left the factory. Just biding its time before blowing.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.