April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jerry G, Oberndorf), 992 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can relate to shooting woodies "up close and personal". Many times any choke at all is a handicap.. They're the only duck I know of that lights on the water at 50 mph, 10' from you.

Good luck, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yep sometimes I have thought a tennis request would be a better tool than a shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds to me like you boys know a little about roost shooting?...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

...... that and flood oak hammocks

Great fun

Sidelock
Sidelock

Morning woody shoots can be just as bad. Little suckers will light right by you so early you can't see them coming in.

SRB

Sidelock
Sidelock

It should make no difference at all .Shotgun barrels are not "regulated " as would be a double rifle . They are put together and they shoot where they shoot . In shotguns regulation is the boring of chokes to give a set pattern with a set cartridge at a set distance . Thats all .

If the average 28" 12 bore side by side were to be regulated as many seem to think then the muzzle ends would be about 5/16" to 3/8" apart to give overlapping patterns at 30 yards

It can be calculated mathematically to give the muzzle centers compared with the rear centers that would be needed to achieve this and shotguns were never been made that way .

Last edited by gunman; 04/20/19 11:01 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think what you say is true, but if the barrel of a double is bore sighted, the rib point of aim and marking where both barrel look. The patterns fired off the shoulder don't necessarily end up where the bores pointed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman
It should make no difference at all .Shotgun barrels are not "regulated " as would be a double rifle . They are put together and they shoot where they shoot . In shotguns regulation is the boring of chokes to give a set pattern with a set cartridge at a set distance . Thats all .

I disagree. That may be your opinion of regulation, but not most of the gun trade's. Regulation, as regarding a doublegun means that both barrels print their respective patterns dead atop each other at usable range. That is NOT accomplished by how the chokes are bored (though sometimes correction can be made by altering the choke bore on a non-regulated gun) but rather by how the barrels are joined with convergence. This is done to compensate for the lateral recoiling of the left and right barrels on a S x S. Sure, they aren't regulated in the same way that a double rifle is, by bench rest shooting and adjusting the relationship of the barrels by changing the amount of convergence, until perfect ............ then soldering them up. Shotguns are regulated by building the barrel sets to a certain spec. If done exactly right they will be regulated with a reasonable load. The word regulation, again, regarding shotguns, does not mean they're shot, adjusted, shot some more, adjusted, ad nauseam, until finally right, then permanently joined. "Regulation" re: shotguns simply means that the barrels have been built in such a way that the centers of the patterns print to the same place.

I have seen Miller post on here the exact angle of convergence that Hunter Arms used when building their doubles. Their guns are "notorious" for being very well regulated. Given how badly many over the counter doubles are out of regulation, some manufacturers should pay more attention to it. Beretta refuses to acknowledge a problem unless the two barrel's patterns are over 8" off, from each other, at 25 yards.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan after 50 years in the English gun trade that includes years in Birmingham building new guns and years involved with sleeving I think I have little more insight into the construction of double gun barrels than some .
We may differ on what you on your side of the pond call regulation but on this side it is as I previously stated .

A pair of barrels were built taking into consideration the centers of the action at the breech then were brought to together at the muzzle . A Gun maker would have the same centers on the action regardless of the barrel length , be it 25" or 30 "so that alone should tell you something .
Apart from being paralleled that was all the barrel maker considered .

You can believe what you like and I dont really care , all I try to do is to set the record straight and correct misinformation when I see it .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's back up a bit, for the sake of trying to reach a common understanding of what each other is saying, if you will.

Are you saying that, in the British gun trade, no care or forethought was ever put into having the proper amount of convergence so that the barrels will print the individual barrels' patterns perfectly atop each other? It seems you are by saying that they are positioned at the breech for the correct center to center distance, then all were brought together at the muzzle until they touch, and they "shoot where they shoot"? Asked another way ......... if the muzzles were always brought together until touching before soldering up, would no consideration have been given, to where each barrel shoots, when deciding the distance between centers at the breech?

Not trying to be argumentative here, gunman, just trying to understand your position. Most of my guns are touching at the muzzles, with uncut barrels. However I have a few that are decidedly apart, also with uncut barrels, nowhere near touching, but shoot patterns that are dead atop each other. This shows me that the makers knew that the gun would crossfire if the muzzles were touching and would not have shot regulated patterns, so they designed in the proper amount of convergence for the amount of recoil.

SRH

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.