April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Mark II, 12boreman, 67galaxie, ClapperZapper, buckstix, LeFusil), 197 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,023
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#543918 04/18/19 04:31 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

amazingly complex designs...

thanks for posting...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
amazingly complex designs...

thanks for posting...

You are welcome.

The most reliable information for collectors and lovers of hunting guns

www.shotguncollector.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robertovich, that is a fine article. Thank you. I might remind the readers that if they copy the article's address and paste it into Google Translate, you can have the article in English.

Of course, I am interested in the final gun in the article. I have shown it for some years and asked the thoughts of others. It has no proof marks or touch marks, but has fine workmanship. Auto ejectors, assisted opening, highly figured wood, and quite a bit of engraving. I have never even been able to establish a country of origin, but have guessed it came from somewhere on the European Continent. How did you establish that it was from Germany ?

Please keep up the good work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Super Britte. First saw an article about them in an old Gun Digest I think back in the 60's or early 70's. It was a gun I put on my bucket list. Very neat gun, but the dynamics of shooting it I never figured out. It was so bad I decided that if I decided to end my life with it, I would have to load two and have a reload handy.

Sold it to a Doctor down in Lexington KY who was more interested in collecting it than shooting it. Then about five years later they found a stash of unfinished Brittes and another hundred or so hit the market. Think they were sold by G & H. I did resist the temptation to buy another. In hindsight I had either a regulation problem or there was too much negative pitch. I tried altering a recoil pad to eliminate the negative pitch but never got it to shoot well for me. The problem with owning too many guns is if one wont work for you there are two others always waiting to be used. Still some items on a bucket list are best owned and passed along and some are to be kept until the end of your days. This was the first for me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Robertovich, that is a fine article. Thank you. I might remind the readers that if they copy the article's address and paste it into Google Translate, you can have the article in English.

Of course, I am interested in the final gun in the article. I have shown it for some years and asked the thoughts of others. It has no proof marks or touch marks, but has fine workmanship. Auto ejectors, assisted opening, highly figured wood, and quite a bit of engraving. I have never even been able to establish a country of origin, but have guessed it came from somewhere on the European Continent. How did you establish that it was from Germany ?

Please keep up the good work.

Hi, Daryl
Thank you for asking. This shotgun has a typically German finishing. This wasn`t done in Belgium for example. The lack of proof marks makes think this is a post-WWII gun "from 1945"possibly. Many such shotguns without proof marks arrived in Russia from Germany after the war.
You can read about it https://wp.me/p461yQ-1Lc
Regards,
Igor

Last edited by Robertovich; 04/20/19 03:06 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I had a Super Britte. First saw an article about them in an old Gun Digest I think back in the 60's or early 70's. It was a gun I put on my bucket list. Very neat gun, but the dynamics of shooting it I never figured out. It was so bad I decided that if I decided to end my life with it, I would have to load two and have a reload handy.

Sold it to a Doctor down in Lexington KY who was more interested in collecting it than shooting it. Then about five years later they found a stash of unfinished Brittes and another hundred or so hit the market. Think they were sold by G & H. I did resist the temptation to buy another. In hindsight I had either a regulation problem or there was too much negative pitch. I tried altering a recoil pad to eliminate the negative pitch but never got it to shoot well for me. The problem with owning too many guns is if one wont work for you there are two others always waiting to be used. Still some items on a bucket list are best owned and passed along and some are to be kept until the end of your days. This was the first for me.

My friend in Russia has two Super Britte and two Actionless 47. He doesnt hunt with these shotguns. He's just a collector of exotic fire arms.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a fellow that attends my SxS shoot and has a couple of side openers. I believe they're American made. I'll shoot him a email and ask. I think, but not sure they were called " Americans ".

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only American side openers I think of were the George Fox side-sliders. I've never shot one but I can't see how they would be any different to shoot from a break action...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

He just got back with me. They're American Arms made in Boston. He has four of them. They were made around 1878.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.