March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (FlyChamps, ksauers1, Ken Nelson, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Wonderful collection of very high condition guns John, and thank you.

A c. 1915 Baker boxlock with a straight receiver, late Baker ejector system & late safety button

Drew,

I do not yet have an example with the straight back frame. All that I have seen have ejectors and I believe are referenced as the Baker Ejector. I can not tell from the pictures, but does it use cocking rods through the frame to cock the hammers and trip the ejector sears? I have the sideplated, Batavia Ejector, that appears to have the same forend/ejector system. It has cocking rods through the frame. Daryl?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sorry John but the images are all that I have, and I think Researcher found that one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At John Eurom's request, here are some of the earliest New Baker Models.

New Baker #33 made by Syracuse Forging Co. but unmarked as to Maker. ca. 1887-1888

Special New Baker from Syacuse. Unmarked as to Company. NSN, Ca. 1888

New Baker by Syracuse Forging and Gun Co. , Syracuse, N.Y. #2179 ca. 1888

New Baker #4982 Syracuse Forging and Gun Co. , Batavia, N.Y. ca 1891

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 04/21/19 06:30 PM.
John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
At John Eurom's request, here are some of the earliest New Baker Models.

New Baker #33 made by Syracuse Forging Co. but unmarked as to Maker. ca. 1877-1878

Daryl, Thank you for adding these early examples to this thread. I will keep looking for an early example of a New Baker, preferably a Syracuse built one. Were there mechanical differences between the Syracuse vs Batavia mfg'd guns other than the under bolting changing to top bolted? I notice all three of your examples have the Baker Forging & Gun Co label. Did the name change to Baker Gun & Forging Co. coincide with the introduction of the Hammerless models ca.~1892?

Also, not to nit-pick but in reference to New Baker #33, you listed the dates as ca. 1877-1878. I am thinking maybe 1885-86, after the return from Ithaca Gun Co.

Thank you as always,

John

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew,
I keep returning to the photos of the flat framed boxlock (Baker Ejector?) you posted as it is much different than any of my other Baker models. Looking at the barrel lug there is no cocking bar, nor cocking hook, nor check hook. My Baker Standard has the same barrel lug. It uses cocking rods, very much like a Crescent, but with no solid check to keep it from opening too far. Maybe caused by wear at the forend iron where it engages the rods?

The other difference I see is the top bolting of the flat framed gun. It has what appears to be a round "Greener" type bolt. Yet the bolt does not extend out the left side of the frame when open. ???

If anyone has an example of one of these flat framed Boxlocks please post up pictures.

Thanks, John

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, you are correct. I typed the wrong dates for the first picture. Sorry for the confusion. From the information I have the first gun is from late 1887 or early 1888. I will correct the post.

I believe the name Baker Gun and Forging Co., Batavia, came just before the introduction of the hammerless models in 1892. The article by myself and Bill Furnish in Double Gun Journal should have those dates .

All of my examples should be from the name Syracuse Forging Co., or Syracuse Forging and Gun Co. , Syracuse , NY, or Syracuse Forging and Gun Co. , Batavia, NY. Was it about 1891 that the Company Name became Baker Gun and Forging Co. , Batavia, NY .

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Batavia Ejector, ca.1908-1911, could be had with Damascus or Fluid Steel barrels.

The Batavia Ejector did not use the sliding cocking bar or the pinned hook found on other Baker models. It was fitted with cocking rods through the frame that were acted on by rollers in the forend iron. A ledge milled into the frame tripped the ejector sears on opening only if the cocking rod is forward.

The standard top bolting was retained but a check hook was added to the barrel lug to keep the barrels from opening too far. This check hook also activates the extractors on an unfired chamber(s).

One other difference on this model is the forend attachment. The standard Baker J-hook has been replaced with a sliding roller latch. The forend barrel lug reflects this change.

Hope this has not been a bore,

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, I notice Drew's picture of a boxlock is in the 42,000 serial range. That range from maybe some 38,000 guns through 49,000 contained many guns that were made up from "parts on hand" Could be a mixture of models on one gun. One cannot bank on those guns being representative of particular models. Drew's gun seems to have the 1909 Paragon cocking hook, and maybe the ejector is the same or similar.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.