April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (David Williamson, Kip, battle, fallschirmjaeger, Jimmy W, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 424 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
halifax Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have never sold a gun at auction. I have a rather nice double that I want to sell. I have always used prominent dealers but sometimes this process takes years for a rare gun to sell. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK- one man's opinion- over past 25 years, I have sold a few shotguns (no rifles or handguns) privately- I have contacted a few fairly well known Auction houses, but was never quite satisfied with the terms they offered, nor their seemingly "Lo-ball" appraisals, vis a vis photos I submitted-- To be fair, I never sent a shotgun to either James D. Julia's, or RIA, the two major gun auction houses I am familiar with.

I would rather "discount" a shotgun I have had for sale a %- then give that to an auction firm-- Granted, if you have a rare firearm you wish to sell, may I suggest you get good detailed photos and an accurate description and post it here first, asking the membership for their appraisals- Also be advised, that the current market for selling "high end" shotguns is very soft--

FYI, as I do NOT, at this point, know the make, vintage, grade and gauge of shotgun you wish to sell- my experience has been mainly with Parkers and L.C. Smiths- If you have a matched pair
of English made double guns, that's way beyond my "comfort zone"- but there are many others that post here who are highly qualified to advise you, should that be the case in point.

One other factor-- many of us that were buying heavily into, let us say, Parkers a decade ago, have aged, and the younger generation with "deep pockets" want Perazzi, Piotti, Hartmann und Weiss or Ferlib- for their "investment that you can use and have appreciate- Fewer serious bird hunters extant, as compared with those who buy "high dollar" shotguns for clays.

Hope this helps you somewhat- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunbroker auctions are easy enough to do yourself. If you want the targeted advertising and exposure of a prominent auction house, be prepared to pay dearly for it. On some guns it is probably a good investment. JMHO...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know exactly how you sell at auction across the Canadian border.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used Gunbroker a bunch for common handguns and rifles, but I'd be hesitant to use it for an unusual sxs shotgun. In my experience, the Gunbroker buyer isn't generally a high value collector.

I usually do penny auctions with no reserve, as I want to sell what I'm offering. Generally, I've been pleased with the results. You can set reserves and minimum opening bids, but it seems that doing so significantly reduces interest in the item offered.

As for getting a gun from Canada to the U.S. if your buyer is here, I have no idea what the process might be. I've imported a gun from Great Britain (used British Sporting Arms to handle the transaction) and I know Steve Bertram, who posts here regularly, imports from there as well, but whether either could or would handle a shipment from Canada is something I've never asked.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: halifax
I have never sold a gun at auction. I have a rather nice double that I want to sell. I have always used prominent dealers but sometimes this process takes years for a rare gun to sell. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I can tell you the process for getting your gun into the US if it's going to a buyer. Not sure about things like auctions or consignments. But I'm positive the people i use to get guns I've sold across the border could tell you in a new york minute.

I also have connections to some higher end collectors in Canada, which may negate the need to get the gun across the border. What is it.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/17/19 03:35 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Easy thing to do is call one of the auction houses. Ask them if they can sell your gun for you and what the process is. First you need to know your market. Whats your gun? Which auction house deals in that flavor? Ask them if the market is good or soft? Two have told me the market is soft for what I was thinking about selling. Then go from there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've sold some quality guns via Amoskeag. If I were selling one today, I'd probably offer it for sale here first and see if I could save the auction fee.

halifax Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is the process for selling a gun on this site? I have never done that before.

The gun is a 20 bore, Famar's, Avantis Model, trigger plate, droplock with unique engraving.

I have used Steve Barnett in the past with some good results.

Thank you all for the advice. This gun is in the US.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You were happy with Steve, why not us him again

He is a great guy

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.