March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I found this at a show the past weekend, It pretty plain but it looks to have been well done and is still in nice shape with a great bore.
the barrel dates to 1924, The aluminum butt plate has a trapdoor but that may have been a later addition? The cheekpiece has a bit of a distinct shape to it that I thought might be identifiable. Interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts!

Sidelock
Sidelock

No idea who might have made the gun, but I'm pretty sure the aluminum plate was made by Pacific.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to see other views of the butt plate because this butt plate does not appear to have the same profile as the N.R.A. Sporter or the Pacific-made brass or aluminum butt plates. 
       I have not seen evidence that Pacific made an 03 non-Ferris butt plate with a trap.
       I have two 1903 aluminum service-type butt plates with trap - one is marked HILL and the other was made by James V. Howe.  
Most of the aluminum & brass 1903 after-market butt plates that I have seen are not marked by the maker.

Gary Bush

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are 2 pictures of the plate

Sidelock
Sidelock

Neat rifle. Really like the buttplate. Have you checked the serial number to see if it was originally an NRA sporter. It sure looks like a NRA sporter barrel contour to me.

John

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I haven't checked the serial number, I would do this through SRS?
Serial number shows 1921, the barrel is SA 8-24

would this be the star gauge marking or just a ding?

Sidelock
Sidelock

PM me the serial # or post it. Several of us have SRS books and can let you know what they list about it.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say that it's a star gauge marking.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I sent you a PM, much appreciated!

Originally Posted By: xausa
I would say that it's a star gauge marking.

I thought it was in the right place, but it's a pretty faint marking

Last edited by 375whelenIMP; 04/18/19 02:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From the serial number you sent me and the info in SRS and on Vi Shooter's page, it looks like you have the action from a 1903/1922 Heavy Barrel Target Rifle that was issued to the Coastal Artillery Rifle Team.

While a nice sporter that would fit well in anyone's racks and be a great rifle, it probably would have been worth more in original condition. That said, it could have well been "used up" and this is a fitting reincarnation. Nice rifle with an interesting history. I for one would be proud to have it.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.