April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, canvasback, azgreg, GSPWillie, 1 invisible), 1,040 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,707
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Notre Dame is burning to the ground. From Paris we just received an email saying the lead roof has melted and there is a boilings mass of molten metal on the floor at 500 degrees Celsius. The Patrimony of a country is destroyed. It is a tragedy.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

After surviving centuries to be damaged by a refurbishing accident as they are saying, is truly a tragedy. I understand that firemen are in the building trying to save what they can. Our prayers for their safety.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is heartbreaking and I'm not even Catholic. When the news came on the first thing I thought of was Prof. Edward Marti, he taught History of Building when I was in school. I know he would be heartbroken too, if he were still living. My wife and I visited it when we lived in Germany, it was breathtaking. I was upset that they didn't seem to be doing much to put it out at first. Now I can see why the authorities wouldn't let firefighters in with molten lead raining down everywhere. It just cannot be replaced.
Mike

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Latest from Paris....they now think the walls won't collapse and that the two towers are out of immediate danger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A ton of history was destroyed. It sure seemed that the response was lackluster. It amazed me to watch it spread from the first footage, looked like a good two hours before a boom ladder was set up and pumping water.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately, many old structures like this fall victim to fire in "renovation", lost a cathedral in my city that way.
Is the fact of "old and valuable" treated too lightly??

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

A "refurbishing accident"? I can't imagine the insurance situation. OK, now it's over, sort of.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With the Muslim population of Paris being what it is, I'm thinking suspiciously...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
With the Muslim population of Paris being what it is, I'm thinking suspiciously...
JR

You read my mind....

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine too! They have had a number of terror attacks and this does look suspect. I hope that the remodeling report isn't false.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is about the 6th or 7th Church in France that has been set afire and the second incident at Notre Dame. The first was stopped by the police when a car full of Muslim extremist had gas cylinders they were planning to set off. We will have to wait for the verdict, but I am not very optimistic about the renovation story.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm thinking along the same lines as you guys. I don't think this was just another accident. I hope I am wrong.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree- what renovation in a stone and mortar building would require a contractor to employ a cutting torch? The Muslims are becoming experts at destroying buildings, as we found out on 9-11 in NYC-- Just as the Japannese became experts at shallow water torpedeos vis a vis Pearl Harbor 1941. Even if the bearing outer walls remain somewhat intact (unlike the Twin Towers) future usage of the Cathedral may well be unsafe-- And as the Cathedral is the most often visited site by tourists in Paris, even outnumbering the Louve, the terrorists are experts at "blending into the mileu__ and not raising suspicion. My money says- terrorist attack- well planned as well.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

French wife is furious and convinced that at Easter Time, with usually only the most competent of French workers allowed to work on "Patrimony" building, something nefarious happened. Once it started though, with a huge building full of air...no fire doors possible in an interior 13 stories tall, oxygen would quickly create a mini firestorm. Macron is such a product of the Grands Ecole and the French State is so centralized, she's convinced that even if it were a terrorist attack, there will be an effort to cover it up.

No fire investigator will be able to discover the cause through forensics...but there should have been workers at the site when the fire started. Somebody saw something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very suspicious. A number of French churches have been vandalized or set on fire in the past year. I don't expect the truth from the authorities.

It is a terrible tragedy.

Last edited by Hammergun; 04/15/19 07:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife says there was some large amounts of lead in the building for some reason (not just for stain-glass windows) and the renovations were dealing with it. So I suppose some heat source could have been needed to cut or shape it. Hard to say. I'll wait until there has been a thorough investigation before I start accusing anyone of anything. I'm strange that way.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fire is reported to have started some time after 6:00 PM local time. I would doubt if there were any construction/renovation type workers around at all, unless they were off the clock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
My wife says there was some large amounts of lead in the building for some reason (not just for stain-glass windows) and the renovations were dealing with it. So I suppose some heat source could have been needed to cut or shape it. Hard to say. I'll wait until there has been a thorough investigation before I start accusing anyone of anything. I'm strange that way.

I havent seen a single accusation, only suspicions, that will be investigated, posted here. I find it strange that someone would expect an unbiased investigation to come out of a tragedy of this magnitude.

Lead was used in the roofing of the structure, by the way. No doubt it was once a great material for that task, likely pass for that today, for a variety of reasons.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Though it would be easy to blame them it is probably not an act of terrorism by Muslims. They usually take credit for their "work" very quickly. Evidently no group has claimed "credit" for this loss ....... yet.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

These kind of fires that start during renovation of old buildings are often caused by lead burning (welding) where the sheet cannot be beaten or welted or the heat from halogen lighting near tinder dry timber. Led lamps are more common these days though. A stray cigarette end or the sparks from cutting/grinding could do the same job
We nearly lost one of the Queen's pads not so long ago when hot works on the roof ignited the timber. It's easily done.
Apparently, the structure of the building is ok so I'd imagine it will be restored to its former glory.
I hope the Vatican will use some of its vast wealth to fund it rather than relying on hand outs from the general public.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nick-- I've worked in the welding trade all my adult life- and know a little about metallurgy-- You can't cut lead, or cast iron, with an oxy-acetylene torch. Don't know the term you used in your post-- "welting" as it refers to metalworking- care to explain that one??

Although I agree in principle with friend Stan's post on this sad affair-- and he is right- the Muslims are not shy about listing their many world-wide terrorist schemes, I still tend to think they were somehow responsible for part of this tragedy- Granted, they may NOT have started the fire- but what's to keep them from disrupting the communications that occur after such a disaster is "called in" a major traffic jam in the heavy Paris traffic could delay the arrival of the fire trucks, for example--

My only real experience with the usage of lead comes from my Military service years- lead is a shield against radio waves- all the electric blasting caps used in EOD training were kept in a lead shielded wooden storage case, usually 10 caps per case. RWTF- but NO "riding to the foxes on my watch!"--

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, That entire second paragraph of yours looks like you are simply trying to find ways to blame roughly a quarter of the world's population for something for which you have exactly zero evidence at the moment. Wait a while and see if it is justified. Nothing is to keep any of us from doing something evil. Why single out Muslims here and now?

Maybe we should stick to double guns...

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too early to form any opinion. Such a shame though!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Easy there,partner- I'm not the first guy who has posted herein that has suggested that the Muslims were behind this event. I will admit to not being a fan of the Koran. And America is NOT the "Great Satan" either. As a life-long Roman Catholic, I am deeply disturbed about this, as much as I would have been had Hitler sacked the Vatican during WW11-- I'll reserve my final judgement until the final facts are in--

We had a local Pizza and convenience store here, located about 1/8th mile from the Middle School and High Schools in Greenville. The former owners retired and sold it to some Muslim immigrants- they drove it into the ground- they were rude to all the school kids, including 2 of our grandchildren (who were raised to be polite to others) served rotted lunch meat in their sandwiches, and shouted curses in Arabic to anyone who looked like a White Christian American--they went Chapter 11-

Muslims want to move here, but as a general rule, do not wish to conform to the American way of living and doing business with others. And I personally do NOT care for the way they mis-treat their wives and daughters and females-- You want to move to America, you learn English as your primary language-- IMO anyway!! RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://youtu.be/P2_jqOedtjU
RWTF, Hi, couldn't think of a way to describe it but the wonders of modern technology should help. It's a water tight folded joint in sheetwork.
Lead burning is a lowish temp weld using a propane or oxyacetylene torch and lead filler rod. It's tricky with thin sheet as it's easy to hole through so you've gotta move quickly. It was used more in the chemical industry for chemical vessels (acids etc) until modern plastics took over. It's a dirty job and leadburners needed regular blood tests as the fumes let lead into the body via the lungs, once there were so many ppm in the blood, you had to stop working with it so probably a good thing it's not so common now.
I've done a bit when a downspout or drain pipe needed to be fixed in a lead gully but again, it's not so common now with modern materials.
Hope that throws some light on it.
Cheers
Nick.

Last edited by Nick. C; 04/16/19 11:24 AM.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Righto-- Years ago, Plumbers (Latin- Plumbe- lead) had to"wipe" a lead pipe joint to pass their Journeyman's test and get their trade union card. A neighbor who is now a Master Plumber tells me the Union no longer requires that test-- . Have never worked with lead or even galvanized pipe- PVC is, along with canned beer, one of the greater inventions of our time- IMO. Cheers!! RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just took a peek- nice job of running the puddle and freezing it, from one tack to the nest- good hand to hand co-ordination. You want to be a skilled TIG welder? First learn to gas weld and braze- in position to start with. RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, That entire second paragraph of yours looks like you are simply trying to find ways to blame roughly a quarter of the world's population for something for which you have exactly zero evidence at the moment. Wait a while and see if it is justified. Nothing is to keep any of us from doing something evil. Why single out Muslims here and now?

Dang, man! Really? Have you been living on Venus for the past 20 years?
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

....That entire second paragraph of yours looks like you are simply trying to find ways to blame roughly a quarter of the world's population for something for which you have exactly zero evidence at the moment. Wait a while and see if it is justified....

....Maybe we should stick to double guns...

Thats what I thought when you wrote that the fire was related to some lead abatement project. Maybe, were just sitting on a pickup tail gate after the hunt, chit chatting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well at least we've gotten to see the efficiency of modern progressive government in action. Fastest arson investigation in modern history. The welders did it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe it was a town drunk who flicked a Gitane or Gauloise butt into some rubble. Why not wait until there actually is some data. Facts are incredibly interesting sometimes...

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, it was officially some unintended event, before their fire department said the fire out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Yup, it was officially some unintended event, before their fire department said the fire out.

Odd, why, then did all the Parisian officials and all the media report that investigations are already underway into the cause if you have already determined it.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thinks its something to look into. All I mentioned is what some official looking French guy said on the morning news.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Because they have been doing a lot of this kind of shit for the last 25 years. Or hadn't you noticed.

When investigating anything, it makes sense, with a lack of hard evidence pointing in a particular direction, to look at the most likely candidates first. It's what unbiased investigative forces do the world over.

Talk about ideology getting in the way of common sense. Too bad it's now such a widespread problem. Even my Muslim friends think like I do.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/16/19 04:04 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

At times, as families and countries, we feel disconnected from everything and then, almost as an act of god, Notre Dame brings hundreds of millions together, catholics and others, like a death in the family. Dear Paris, dear France, we are with you.

Having said that, I read recently of a study that said "social" media is causing more dissension and turmoil than the opposite: bringing publics closer together. The finger-pointing in one particular direction here indicates there may be something to it.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
At times, as families and countries, we feel disconnected from everything and then, almost as an act of god,Notre Dame brings hundreds of millions together, catholics and others, like a death in the family. Dear Paris, dear France, we are with you.

Having said that, I read recently of a study that said "social" media is causing more dissension and turmoil than the opposite: bringing publics closer together. The finger-pointing in a particular direction here indicates there may be something to it.

I think some of us are tired of you progressives telling us we don't know what we know. Your progressive Emperor has no clothes King.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

You must be referring to the progressives who said the 9/11 killers entered the US from Canada, James. Or the progressives who said there were WMDs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
...The welders did it...Geo

For punishment the union is going to send that crew over to a project at the Louvre.

Thats one tough day at work...

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You must be referring to the progressives who said the 9/11 killers entered the US from Canada, James. Or the progressives who said there were WMDs.

Hahaha! Touch King.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

French news on tonight. The CEO of the company in charge of renovations said there were no workmen present at the time the fire started, no welding going on that day, no torches used that day, no use of electrical devices. The Electricity was turned off. One commentary said, "Everything points to a deliberate act." The official line is, "it's still under investigation but it looks like an industrial accident."

Last edited by Argo44; 04/16/19 07:05 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Courtesy of BBC:

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

The book "Pillars of the earth" has a cathedral fire that is deliberately set in the roof framing timbers. I remember the writing as realistic and riveting. The renovation work would make areas of the cathedral easily accessible that otherwise would not be. Arson investigators are good at what they do, and accelerants are hard to hide. With the huge Muslim population in France, it doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to see the possibilities.

I was suspicious when the authorities announced it was "accidental" while the firemen were still battling the blaze.

Early reports said the rose window had exploded and was lost. That was the most grievous to me, as the technique used to produce that exquisite stained glass has been lost, and they would not be able to exactly replace the windows. Later reports seem to indicate they have survived. I believe the windows were removed and crated off to safe places during the German shelling of Paris. They truly are irreplaceable, and a wonder to behold standing on that stone floor.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback

Hahaha! Touch King.

King, thank you for reminding us that we are all just one big, happy, misunderstood family.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt that there were any welders working their skilled trade in an 800 year old building that caused the fire at Notre Dame in Paris-- carpenters, brick masons, etc- yes-- So, my Georgia based gent'man, perhaps you'd care to rephrase that bold statement that casts aspersions on the trade that has its origins in blacksmithing-- Look at ll the recent terrorist acts that have occurred in France since 9/11 in NYC-- draw your own conclusions George, but don't blame skilled tradesmen that clearly were NOT involved in this tragic incident in The City of Lights--

Now, to "lighten the load here"- Just heard that the valuable church organ was removed to safety- Saints be praised for that- so, let me segue into a Church organ based joke--yes, that's right, gents-- there is such a joke-

The Church choir director was preparing the choir for the Easter Oratorio-- and his organist, Miss Smithers, was most diligent in her practice every evening leading up to that big event. But a sudden death in his family called him away for part of that week- he gave his keys to Miss Smithers so that she could continue to practice each evening-

When he returned, he went to the Church after dinner and saw her car parked in the lot, and could hear her practicing Handel's musical score as the entered. As he approached the organ in the loft, he saw a blue package on the top corner of the keyboard- he was a bit shocked to see it was a Trojan condom- especially shocked as Miss Smithers was a life-long spinster.

"Well now", he said to her-- "I see you have been busy practicing the Handel music while I was called away- sounds just right!"

"Oh, thank you ever so much", she replied. "But Miss Smithers, can you shed any light on how this blue package came to be placed on the organ?"--"Oh, my stars- yes I can, Mr. Epperson" she replied-- "Just the other night as I was walking up to unlock the door, I saw this on the pavement, and I picked it up and brought it inside with me--

Well, it read: 'To prevent spread of disease, place carefully on organ'! "Well, you know how often I get head colds in the Spring-- but ever since I put it there, I haven't even had a sniffle!""

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

". With the huge Muslim population in France, it doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to see the possibilities."

I guess you consider 6% of the population huge. Ever been there?

Last edited by dal; 04/16/19 09:04 PM.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder how you so easily overlook the "yellow vests" that have been marching, rioting, protesting, not to mention all the jilted boyfriends and girlfriends and grumpy, recently fired, laborers, not to mention the fairly large (I think) population of smokers of horrible French cigarettes. And so on.

No end of people to blame. Could be just a pile of oil rags in corner. Time bomb waiting to go off. Never happened to a gunsmith after all.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A chapel was being renovated around my parts and was almost burned down due to a pile of rags with varnish and turpentine on them, and they self ignited.

Any 'hot work' should have a fire watch for a half hour, then an hour, then two hour intervals afterwords. you'd be surprised how many large fires that prevented in my trade.

Also, the place was surounded by water...and no pump houses to be seen. A very poor fire plan I think. I think some heads should roll. No one ever foreseen a fire happening there. hmmmm...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Horrible tragedy. I hear more then 1/2 Billion dollars has been promised. I cannot imagine how many years it will take to rebuild. I bet at least 20.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whoever, whatever, how & why are things not yet known.
One thing that I do know is that I was away on a deer hunting trip & when I phoned home my wife said that she had a dream that night of a big religious war breaking out in Europe.
Then in the morning she saw the fire on the news.

O.M

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Over 1 billion euros raised so far.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Catholics, if you would, Oh Mighty King- not "catholics" Methodists, Episcopalians, Baptists, Lutherans-- so, it follows on that my chosen faith should also be Capitalized, ne's pas mon Canuck ami??? Le Reynard--

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

As Fox notes, there are catholics and there are Catholics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

James can put words in my mouth anytime, Fox! Where I live is affectionately referred to as Little Rome. Ecumenism is strong, as a leader in cooperative development. It's not fussy about distinctions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see that those evil rich corporations and evil billionaires are the ones pledging money to rebuild.
weird why evil capitalists would be so generous. must be an ulterior motive. Hmmmmmm!!! (sound ominous music now)

Then again I heard Beto O'Rourke pledged a buck three eighty!!!
he is a generous soul

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do I detect a whiff of: Soros, Bloomberg und Der Bittenberg Gruppen rising from the ashes of what remains of the Notre Dame roof-- smoke ascending to the Heavens, while non-Christians perhaps seek redemption for their selfish greed on this earth?? Like perhaps the line from the first "Diehard": "It's gonna take a whole shitload of duct tape and screen doors to fix this baby!""--

As a staunch Roman Catholic, and knowing of all the secret wealth and resources stashed at The Holy See- I say,let the lads in the snappy red robes at the Vatican Bank fund the rebuilding of the Cathedral in Gay Paree!

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Then again I heard Beto O'Rourke pledged a buck three eighty!!!
he is a generous soul"

I find it fascinating to look at the released federal income tax returns of politicians like O'Rourke and see how little they give to charity, particularly as a percentage of their total income. Wouldn't you think that even if they aren't willing to write checks for amounts over their tax liability to the government (which none apparently ever do, even while campaigning for higher tax rates), they'd make that up by supporting charities? Or is this yet another instance of endorsing generosity while practicing selfishness?

Sidelock
Sidelock

How rich is he?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not Soros. he turned his own people in during WW2. and last I knew he wasn't Catholic!!!

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

France's 3 richest families lead $700 million fundraising effort for Notre Dame

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/business/...tion/index.html

I guess Bernie would expect all of the Millenial Baristas donating their tips!!!

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Plow it under and build a park.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225

Probably the same sentiments of those who destroyed Palmyra. Where is a tolerant liberal when we need him?

Not here.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Really? Thats the best you can do? How sad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let the Pope cough up the restoration money out of the church's wealth.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback

Really? Thats the best you can do? How sad.

Oh believe me CB, I could go on and on about what should be done with all of the alters to the suspension of disbelief and child molesting, but I won't.

Incidentally, what is so sad about building a nice park for the people instead of continuing to belabor adults into rationalizing fairy tales? Sure its history, but thats the kind of history I don't mind seeing hit the dust bin.

Didn't think you would be so offended by a park though.

Last edited by nca225; 04/17/19 09:02 PM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Probably the same sentiments of those who destroyed Palmyra. Where is a tolerant liberal when we need him?

Not here.

Best,
Ted

Apples and oranges Ted but a good attempt to tar me with ISIS sympathies none the less. But you ignore a glaring distinction in your attempt to jab. ISIS destroyed that historical city because it was part of a civilization before the rise of Islam and therefor seen as an idol of the infidel who did not follow their religion. My advocating for the repurposing of the land isn't because the former tenant didn't follow my religion, I have none. I'm advocating for a park, because a park would be more useful then a temple to fairy tales and child molestation.

Last edited by nca225; 04/17/19 09:01 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Isis destroyed Palmyra because they are intolerant. As are you. Any comparison was only pointing that out.
It is not necessary for me to tar you to illustrate that.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Ted, if my belief that humanity should be above having to rationalize fairy tales for the sake of an imaginary afterlife while turning a blind eye to the point of condoning child molestation... Color me intolerant! I just can't tolerate that. I know, I know... thats a character flaw around here where we are oh so very tolerant of others.

Last edited by nca225; 04/17/19 09:18 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

....if my belief that humanity should be above having to rationalize fairy tales for the sake of an imaginary afterlife while turning a blind eye to the point of condoning child molestation... Color me intolerant! I just can't tolerate that. I know, I know... thats a character flaw around here where we are oh so very tolerant of others.

Yabut nca, if it was built as a temple to fairy tales and child molestation, can you figure out why your buddies the French are rebuilding it? Don't knock it just yet, it may turn out looking like a temple for you true believers, the religion of leftism. If they display phallic silicone art in vats of urine, will you make an annual pilgrimage to worship with the like minded tolerant?

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry I started this line. I have French spouse, sons, in-laws and what happens there affects me. The fire probably was an accident but it is an unexplained accident. I was extremely upset and with the daily demonstration of how centrally controlled from Paris France really is, right down to having news anchors fired because Brigette didn't like them, or being able to ban grocery store sales because "it might hurt the farmer," I was skeptical that a clear accident investigation would get to the bottom of anything.

But I didn't mean to start a political spitting match yet again. Let's wait to see what comes out. Right now there is a lot of anger in the French...and they want to hear more from the 32 year old whose firm was one of the ones working on the building. I know that in Washington DC, you start renovating a building, you'll have a fire extinguisher every 5 yards. I somehow doubt that this intense obsession with safety applies in Europe. In the meantime, let's wait and see.

And no one here supports ISIS or terrorists. Since I started this mess...I suppose I could delete it...but I learned something about welding I must say...and about lead.

Last edited by Argo44; 04/17/19 10:14 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let me take a crack at it! Plow Notre Dame under and make it a park. It doesn't get my knickers in a knot. I see where it comes from. It's an opinion. One of Canada's most distinguished radio broadcasters said on national radio and to the world the Roman Catholic Church is "the biggest criminal organization in the world outside the Mafia."

Not a peep. I like to think his listeners have pretty good critical judgement. We also know that, as a cultured person, Michael Enright would see much to admire in the Church, its organizational skills and traditional role as champion of the poor. I think the same way. Notre Dame is more than a church to the world, as is the wall in Arlington more than a monument to a nation's sacrifice to me.

I'd like to think we've outgrown the notion of simple solutions to everything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dal
". With the huge Muslim population in France, it doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to see the possibilities."

I guess you consider 6% of the population huge. Ever been there?

Yes. You might have gathered that from my comment about looking at the windows from the stone floor.

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sources: Jack J. Murphy, chairman of the Fire Safety Directors Association of Greater New York; Jim Lygate, visiting professor of fire investigation at University of Edinburgh; Guillermo Rein, professor of fire science at Imperial College London.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/17/world/europe/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-spread.html

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
Sorry I started this line....

....I didn't mean to start a political spitting match yet again....

....Since I started this mess...I suppose I could delete it....

I think you have generously shared some of the best of traditional French culture in a personal way. You are a fortunate man. I challenge you to reread nca's comments and conclude that they're trivial, he's speaking his truth.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Notre Dame de Paris is owned by the French Republic...the state. It is part of the patrimony and history of France itself. It is a holy site. it is also the equivalent of the Washington Monument, Independence Hall, and the US Capital building all rolled into one. And for 1000 years you could not understand France without understanding the three legs of French society...the King (state), the Army and the Catholic Church.

To advocate "plowing it under"....and French revolutionaries did so...as the Bolsheviks did in Soviet Russia...would be the equivalent of Madame Mao's banning of Chinese culture during the Cultural Revolution. It would be Philistine vandalism and sacrilege.

Trolls are trolls. They contribute nothing intellecutually but provocation. I started this line because of my respect for France and its culture and contribution to humanity. It is now devolved into mindless political vomit. Have a nice day.

Last edited by Argo44; 04/18/19 08:19 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting statistic from the French govt: Christian churches suffered over 1,000 desecrations/attacks last year. Jewish synagogues in France suffered over 500 attacks. Considering that there are about 60x as many Christians in France as there are Jews . . . looks as if, once again, the Jews are on the short end of the stick.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "Wall", you refer to, where 2 of my best friends have their names inscribed on for Eternity, is adjacent to the Reflecting Pool, NOT in Arlington National Cemetery-formerly the lands belonging to CSA General Robert E. Lee--

You are 100% correct about your analysis of the Church's wealth and corrupt practices- and as I have several Sicilian "Goombahs' I also buy into your comparison with the Mafia--Two of their precepts with which I fully agree are: "Revenge is a dish which is best served cold" and the code of Omerta-- silence to the death-- When you keep a secret- it is "Subito el dente"- meaning- kept behind the teeth.

So, why doesn't the Holy See admit their hidden wealth and put that on the line to rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral? Good question, and one that most likely will never be answered, and more than where does the Church send the child molesters in robes??

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 04/18/19 07:56 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Christians and Jews come under the same umbrella when it comes to much of the persecution by heathens, because we both believe in the same God, the main difference being that the Jews do not believe Jesus was the Messiah. That difference is not that important to those who are persecuting them. Jews will always face great persecution. Persecution of Christians will only increase, over the long term, until the great "Reckoning". This should be abhorrent to believers, but not a surprise.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Imagine what it would be like if you were in the minority and they were in the majority.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh those poor Christians, they have had it so rough from being tossed into the pits with loins to being forced to sell a cake to the LGTBQ community. I can only imagine the burden of persecution you feel each and every time a priest does the perp walk after decades of raping alter boys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Tender- loins?" "Sir-loins" humm- always thought the cruel Romans preferred to use the "King of Beasts" to eliminate those pesky Christians- Androcleas being the noted exception-- Of course, if a Roman governor chose to use the Detroit Lions, the point spread would greatly favor the Christians--RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
"Tender- loins?" "Sir-loins" humm- always thought the cruel Romans preferred to use the "King of Beasts" to eliminate those pesky Christians- Androcleas being the noted exception-- Of course, if a Roman governor chose to use the Detroit Lions, the point spread would greatly favor the Christians--RWTF

I can think of someone Id like to throw to Da (Chicago) Bears...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the correction, Fox.

As for who pays, I think the money is coming in as it should. I'd rather the Vatican stayed out of it. Our mostly Catholic region has already paid a high financial price for its sexual abuse, selling off parish churches and properties, and if the super-rich are anteing up, that money comes from commoners all over the world; we're participating, too. Litigating for payment doesn't seem right; better our nickels and dimes, dollars and euros, so all of us are a part of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why are you here nca? To demonstrate your intellectual and moral superiority to us deplorables and delusional Christians? Do you get some rush with the sense of power when someone rises to your baiting? Do you really think any father here doesn't want pedophile priests (or any cleric) and those that enabled them, likely including the last Pope, to spend the remainder of there disgusting lives in prison?
Does spewing your venom somehow lessen the pain of the terrible thing that happened that has so filled you with hate, which is destroying you and any relationship with someone who cares about you? Are your really any different from Keith?

Resurrection Day is near. We can be regenerated, by the blood of Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I expect more from people then just wanting the individual perpetrators to get justice Drew. Its the institution as a whole that sanctioned, enabled and protected the pedophiles and it still gets the masses to go to church and pay $ for the assurance that their everlasting soul will have a happy afterlife. How can you be sure that none of those donations go to the legal defense fund?

Seems kind of selfish that a christian will look the other way and still participate and spread the institution's dogma so they can get into an imaginary theme park at the end, forget about all the kids that got raped in the meantime. But then again , looking the other way when people are being persecuted is the Church's thing right? They sure turned a blind eye to the final solution.

And then there is that persecution complex christian's get when they cant discriminate. Got to love the hypocrisy of that one.

I know you do missionary work in South America. With respect to bringing needed supplies and medical care to the needy, in and of itself is noble. You don't need religion to do that and be a good person.

And if you get pissed at me for pointing this stuff out, your issue isn't with me, it should be with the institution that does it.

Last edited by nca225; 04/18/19 11:28 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Given that in this country we believe in freedom of religion, we should find the desecration of ANY place of worship--Christian, Jewish, Muslim, other--to be a heinous act.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh those poor Christians, they have had it so rough from being tossed into the pits with loins to being forced to sell a cake to the LGTBQ community. I can only imagine the burden of persecution you feel each and every time a priest does the perp walk after decades of raping alter boys.

No burden at all, man. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. And, just to set the record straight, no true believer condones or covers up sinful abuse of children.

Say, did you mean lion's loins?

Hey, I finally get your moniker! Non Christian Advocate (# 225). Is that a really low member number?

SRH

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The "preliminary conclusion" is it was an "electrical fire." Of course no one has been on site or can enter and investigate because of the fragility of the walls. Nevertheless, 3 days after the fire the government released a preliminary conclusion.

The French are highly "skeptical." No power was connected to the roof according to the construction firm; no welding, no touches during that day of work, no workmen were present. The fire may have started in two places.

The French government so controls the press and is so centralized that it rivals elements of 20th century Eastern Europe. A philosophy commentator...absolutely brilliant..Michel Onfray (and he was not only intellectually stimulating but biting and humorous as well)..was recently banned from French TV because of his comments about Macron. So no French person is accepting this "preliminary report." This is part of the reason for the "Gilet Jaune" (Yellow vest) protests - the utter domination of French society and politics by Paris and the Parisan elite, the graduates of les Grandes Ecoles.

Last edited by Argo44; 04/18/19 08:30 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"No touches" during that day of work-- My wife was a French language major in college- so what little French I know comes from her- touche- with a dash over the e-- a dueling based term, like en garde, -doubt if the French working lads were repairing the roof area of Our Lady with rapiers and other such pieces of "cutlery"-- The destruction was so vast, it will be most difficult to really deduce the real cause.

It may NOT be attributed to the Muslim terrorist group, but they are our to destroy our Christian world- and they are relentless and will never stop their Jihad-- they may have not started the blazing inferno- but there are other ways by which they might have sabotaged the efforts to stop the inferno-- RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

When the Twin Towers fell, the French and (most of) Europe stood with the U.S.

No matter our opinion of the French or the depravity and corruption of the institutional Catholic church, we can at least show empathy toward the pain of the French people.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago my Mother told us kids that the Catholic Church is the most hated Church in the world. Well......she was right. That is according to a bunch of you here on this "Doublegun" forum. I'm so glad that your
denominations are so pure and Holy. It's only the Catholic Church that's rotten and no good. Thanks for pointing out all your "inside" info on the Church.

Oh, BTW, Happy Easter!

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Years ago my Mother told us kids that the Catholic Church is the most hated Church in the world. Well......she was right.

As a born Catholic, I agree.
However, in my opinion, the Church has essentially brought it on themselves. Too many things done autocratically that really do not make sense, and too many errors buried without correction.
Sorry if you disagree with my position, but......

Last edited by DmColonial; 04/19/19 12:15 PM.

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was a member of the Disciples of Christ, commonly called the Christian Church, by many up until 8 years ago. I was raised in it from an infant. The church house is one mile from my house. The "institutional" DOC became corrupt to the point that they refused to state that Jesus Christ is the only way to be saved to eternal life. They ordained gay priests, gay marriage, and just generally went off the deep end. Our local church fellowship voted unanimously to withdraw from the denomination. Good decision. Jim Jones, of the infamous Guyana mass suicide, claimed the DOC as his denomination. Most of the denomination was horrified and embarrassed by the association he claimed.

I left that church and became a Southern Baptist 8 years ago, with not one iota of regret. We're certainly not perfect either, but the SBC seems to be one of the last bastions of conservative belief in the sanctity of the Scriptures, the sanctity of life, and the Lordship of Jesus. It has had embarrassments of late as well, in the sins of some leadership.

Point is, the "institutional" church of many Christian denominations is corrupt, to some degree. That, however, does not mean the members in God fearing local church fellowships, far removed from the national offices, are.

There reaches a point, for some of us, when association with a corrupt organization requires that we separate ourselves from it, for the sake of a weaker brother if nothing else.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg: I've been thinking about your post all morning, and am stunned and saddened. You seem like a good, decent, and speak the truth kinda guy. It can't possibly be your position that the widespread sexual abuse and the influence of the homosexuals within the Vatican should be defended, and the institutional Catholic church protected from all criticism?

I was the High Adventure Scoutmaster for a group of boy scouts going to the Boundary Waters in 2001. The other leader was an editor of the K.C. Star that made the decision to publish the story that Father Savage had died of HIV in 99'. He became the pariah of his parish for "attacking the church". Was he a "friend of the devil"?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/f...ds-of-the-devil

Defending the indefensible makes the defender part of the problem, and we should be working to reform the church (of every denomination), based on God's inerrant word
https://sites.google.com/site/anotherdaysjourneybackhome/reformation

Christ proved His victory over sin, death and Satan when He got out of the grave on Resurrection Morning. He rose that we might walk in power, freedom and truth. It is God, His Son, and His word that we should be defending, not the sin of any institutional church, false shepherd, or some "professional denominational executive".

And Protestant and Catholic alike need to move beyond (but learn from) our terrible actions of the past; one of which is relevant to this discussion
https://www.stmuhistorymedia.org/assassination-on-the-innocent-the-st-bartholomews-massacre/

Sidelock
Sidelock

The thing that I question, whether isolated or widespread, is not attributing criminal and immoral behavior to human beings. nca has a reason for attacking the 'institutions', not the perps. He's not trolling, he's campaigning for secularism, knowing it's the end game, and not the loons who are his means, that he worships.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This on the web today, link below. More insights on how careful the restoration work is and precautions taken:

Here is the latest update from Maxime Lpante, French correspondent in France

1) Restoration work hadnt started on the roof. The scaffolding were still being put in place. The architect in chief of the Monuments Historiques (Historical Monuments, the administration that maintains and repairs monuments in France), Philippe Villeneuve, who was responsible for the refurbishing of the spire of Notre-Dame, has stated that : Work had not started yet, scaffoldings were still being built.

2) Everything was done to avoid any source of heat near the wood of the roof. No electrical plug, no welding were allowed. So, Philippe Villeneuve says : The hot spot hypothesis is therefore not the right one.

3) The head of the company that was building the scaffoldings (Europe Echafaudage) (Europe Scaffolding), Julien Le Bras, was interviewed by a French TV (BFM) : All I can say for the time being is that at the moment of the fire, absolutely none of the employees of my company was present on site.

4) He added : All safety procedures on the Notre-Dame de Paris site have been respected.

5) One of my friend sent me an email concerning the security on the roof of Notre-Dame. She has a diploma in Art history and studied in the Ecole du Louvre (Louvre School, were students learn art history and restoration processes) : I visited the framing of Notre Dame with architects of the Btiments de France (Buildings of France, the highest rank for an architect in France), some years ago. This 13th century timber frame was extremely protected. Each intervention is always accompanied by historians, architects, experts; no work is envisaged without extreme caution; no source of heat, no torch, no electrical apparatus is allowed; a high-performance alarm system is in place; and very strict supervision of all people allowed there. I think we will eventually learn that this was arson.

6) So, as I said yesterday, with all these security measures, to have a fire on the roof of Notre-Dame, someone had to bring something there, and lit it up.

Sources :

For 1 and 2, see the article of Le Monde, reserved to the paying members, but the important parts have been copied here:

For 3 and 4, see the article of the Journal du Dimanche, here.

freedomoutpost.com/notre-dame-fire-heres-what-we-know-about-what-started-it/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree 100% on sympathy for the French people.

But the world being what it is these days, no matter the official explanation for the cause of the fire, there will always be "Notre Dame Truthers"--just as there are 9/11 Truthers, who don't believe that official version either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Agree 100% on sympathy for the French people.

But the world being what it is these days, no matter the official explanation for the cause of the fire, there will always be "Notre Dame Truthers"--just as there are 9/11 Truthers, who don't believe that official version either.

It is the new American Way. If you don't like the facts then you invent your own "Alternative Facts". Twin Towers, Cathedrals, lead shot, doesn't matter, just make up your own narrative, blame everyone else, and march on. They don't call this the "New World" for nothing.

_________

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I need to expand a bit on my original post. Perhaps it was a knee jerk reaction to what some have said on this Thread. To begin with, my family and I are Traditional Catholics. We are not St Pius X Society however.

As to the abuse that has occurred, it is absolutely wrong and a sin against both man and God. No rational person would encourage or condone any such action(s). Did abuse happen, yes it has. Does it need to be corrected, absolutely. There needs to be a complete purge in the Church from the top down. That includes those who protected the abusers. It must stop and stop now. I'm afraid however this will take some time, especially with the present Pontiff.

That being said, there have been many priests who have been accused and found not guilty. Yet, you never hear about that, only that they have been accused. Some have been accused after they have been dead for years. Why? Money. Some misguided souls are seeing a gravy train and are jumping on it. When found out that they lied, no big deal, but the priests reputation has been ruined. For every rotten priest, there are many more who are good men who follow their vows and do great works for God. But you never hear about them.

I hear a lot of the "Institutional" Church, is it? Sure is, it's also a hierarchy. Does that mean it's all bad or corrupt, no. Is our democracy which is also institutional, bad and corrupt? Institutions are run by men, men are weak and some just plan bad. Does that mean the whole institution is bad, no.

The Church (and I do mean the RCC) was founded by Christ, but was and has been run by mortal men. Some good, some bad. But the good surely outweigh the bad.

The Church has survived for 2000 years and will continue. As Christ said to St Peter: "And the gates of hell shall not prevail against her".

I hope this explains a little from where I'm coming.

I also want to wish each of you and your families a very Blessed and Holy Easter. I do apologize if I have offended anyone by my original post.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

"a high-performance alarm system is in place"

The first level alarm did go off, area checked, then was reset. then the secondary alarm went off. The rest is history.

Many of the riches were removed prior to the restoration. Most or all of the interior statues were replicas.

Last edited by dal; 04/19/19 05:36 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From the beginning a lot of people in France suspected arson. When you saw the workers restoring Versailles wearing white gloves, you know how serious the French are about their historical buildings. We'll wait and see but I and my family cannot trust the Macron (I am "Jupiter" - seduced by a 39 year old mother of 5 when I was 14 years old) government to be above-board. Hope I'm wrong,

Last edited by Argo44; 04/19/19 11:10 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I need to expand a bit on my original post. Perhaps it was a knee jerk reaction to what some have said on this Thread. To begin with, my family and I are Traditional Catholics. We are not St Pius X Society however.

As to the abuse that has occurred, it is absolutely wrong and a sin against both man and God. No rational person would encourage or condone any such action(s). Did abuse happen, yes it has. Does it need to be corrected, absolutely. There needs to be a complete purge in the Church from the top down. That includes those who protected the abusers. It must stop and stop now. I'm afraid however this will take some time, especially with the present Pontiff.

That being said, there have been many priests who have been accused and found not guilty. Yet, you never hear about that, only that they have been accused. Some have been accused after they have been dead for years. Why? Money. Some misguided souls are seeing a gravy train and are jumping on it. When found out that they lied, no big deal, but the priests reputation has been ruined. For every rotten priest, there are many more who are good men who follow their vows and do great works for God. But you never hear about them.

I hear a lot of the "Institutional" Church, is it? Sure is, it's also a hierarchy. Does that mean it's all bad or corrupt, no. Is our democracy which is also institutional, bad and corrupt? Institutions are run by men, men are weak and some just plan bad. Does that mean the whole institution is bad, no.

The Church (and I do mean the RCC) was founded by Christ, but was and has been run by mortal men. Some good, some bad. But the good surely outweigh the bad.

The Church has survived for 2000 years and will continue. As Christ said to St Peter: "And the gates of hell shall not prevail against her".

I hope this explains a little from where I'm coming.

I also want to wish each of you and your families a very Blessed and Holy Easter. I do apologize if I have offended anyone by my original post.

Best,

Greg

I haven't posted lately, temporarily choosing to catch up on outside work and other projects rather than argue here with Libtards. But this post from gjw (Greg) brought me back for a moment. Greg's original post made absolutely NO EXCUSES for the abuses committed by an extremely small percentage of Catholic clergymen. I cannot think of a single Catholic layperson who ever excused those evil and criminal behaviors, here or anyplace else. Greg certainly did not! For the Preacher Drew Hause to suggest otherwise shows what kind of deceptive and devious person he is. I'd like to know just where or why the Preacher saw crap like this in Greg's original post:

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Greg: I've been thinking about your post all morning, and am stunned and saddened. You seem like a good, decent, and speak the truth kinda guy....

Defending the indefensible makes the defender part of the problem, and we should be working to reform the church (of every denomination), based on God's inerrant word
https://sites.google.com/site/anotherdaysjourneybackhome/reformation

I'd like to know exactly where Greg "defended the indefensible"??? Greg and I have certainly had some unfortunate differences here, but this bullshit from the Preacher is just that... more of his deceptive bullshit. To even suggest that Greg is part of the problem, or that he in any way excuses the crimes of pedophile priests and sex abusers is simply sick and disgusting. Greg's subsequent post was spot-on, but it shouldn't have been necessary for any rational or honest person.

Straying back on the topic of the Notre Dame Cathedral fire, it is hardly surprising to see Larry Clown or BrentD already mocking reports that the preliminary conclusions of the French Government may be wrong... in spite of several credible reports that there was no burning, soldering, welding, or live electrical circuits in the vicinity of the origin of the fire. I'll state my belief that the Liberal Left in France would destroy video or other evidence if it might incriminate some group they favor. This is all just my personal opinion... based upon what I see and read here from those on the Left, and those who try to hide their Leftist beliefs.

And as far as the assh0le nca225 goes... the people who thought directing their energy toward eliminating jOe rather than a useless piece of shit like nca225 deserve him/her.

Happy Easter to some!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you keith. I appreciate your words on my behalf. I'm glad that you know where I'm coming from on this one

Happy Easter!

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

We get how you enjoy projecting victimhood William ("nca said something mean to me and no one came to my defense", like you need anyone's help) but (as we've previously debated) observing bad words or bad behavior is not a "personal attack".
Observing the documented depravity of any "professional denominational executive" representing an institutional church is not an attack on the people who make up that denomination or independent church. Had some "friend of Satan" (unbelievable) not spoken up, and the Criminal Justice System not be involved, predatory pedophiles in the Catholic church would still be enabled, and the Church would still be stonewalling. And it is shameful that the Baptist church has been late to deal with the problem. I wrote the Child Protection Policy for our church in 1995, but few Baptist churches (all independent with no denominational oversite) adopted policies until forced to do so by their insurance carriers.
The church universal was built on the unshakable rock that Jesus IS the Christ (Matthew 16:16), was established on the Day of Pentecost, declared forgiveness of sins in the name of Jesus, not in the name of the church or through the church (Acts 2:38), and knowledge (not hope) of eternal life (1 John 5:13), which Jesus provided by his substitutionary atonement on the cross and proved on that first Easter morning by the resurrection.
Some who claim to represent Jesus are a reproach to the name of our Savior and are driving people away from God. And the Bible made a specific point about the obligation to protect the children in Matthew 18:6.
Bigotry (anti-Catholic or anti-anything else) should have no place on this Forum and should be called out.
Bullying and childish name calling (Libtard, "Jap") should have no place on this Forum.
Speaking the truth, if it IS the truth and not an opinion rooting in hatred or prejudice, is not bigotry. (Ephesians 4:25)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you keith. I appreciate your words on my behalf. I'm glad that you know where I'm coming from on this one

Happy Easter!

No need to thank me Greg. There is nothing special about simply telling the truth, and confronting serial bullshit.

Happy Easter to you and your family.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Preacher, you really are good at hiding behind Scripture and the Bible when you attempt to twist and lie. Your attack on Greg was not a matter of "observing the documented depravity" of pedophile priests. It was an attack on Greg personally, where you publicly accused him of "defending the indefensible". That was pure horse-shit, and you know it. It was a totally unjustified personal attack. Greg has a long history here, and has never given the slightest indication that he accepts or defends criminal behavior of any kind. Your lame attempt to justify that personal attack on Greg fell flat, and was quite deceptive in my opinion... and hardly surprising coming from you.

The vast majority of Catholic clergy and laypersons, myself included, find the sexual abuse scandal abhorrent and unacceptable, and make no excuses for it. The perpetrators should be severely punished. If I was dictator, convicted pedophiles would be used as living organ donors... as a deterrent to others. We don't agree that the entire Church should be destroyed because of the crimes of a very small minority. The same sentiment was expressed after the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal at Penn State. But strangely, some of the critics who felt the entire university should be destroyed fell silent when other sex abuse scandals erupted at Ohio State, Michigan State, and other places.

For someone who so piously preaches about the importance of telling the truth, you sure like to twist and lie. If you'd like, I'd be most happy to provide links or QUOTES to lies you've told here, such as the one where you claimed jOe had apologized to you, and he informed you that never happened. I also have a nice little collection of QUOTES where some of your pals used the word "RETARD" on multiple occasions, rather then the "LIBTARD" that you purport to find so offensive, yet you hypocritically said nothing:

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane

HAHAHAHA That's really funny - you a really funny guy!!! Your appraisal of the "doing a bang up job" is nothing less than delusional. ReTard !!!! HAHAHAHA

have another day
Dr.WtS

But you take hypocrisy and lying to a whole new level here when you shroud your bullshit and lies behind Scripture quotes. We kind of expect that sort of behavior when an atheist like King uses Scripture to advance his anti-2nd Amendment agenda. Too bad you didn't consider that deception when you wrote this:

Some who claim to represent Jesus are a reproach to the name of our Savior and are driving people away from God.

But self-absorbed narcissists like you never see yourselves. You only find ways to project your failings onto others. This might be a good time for you to resort to posting some pics of your dead dog to garner sympathy again. Just my opinion as always, based entirely on what I see posted here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Just my opinion as always, based entirely on what I see posted here."

Check that King the atheist post again, keith. I said I called myself an atheist because I don't know what I am, tired of explaining a strong spiritual life that doesn't hoist aboard all that I read in scripture.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As usual Keith, you are blinded by your hatred...and wrong.

I've always respected Greg...who you have attacked in the past...something about estrogen as I recall. Did you give him an effeminate nickname also? It is surely in your vast collection of threads and quotations.

And what in the world does Wonko have to do with me? Or this is another deflection for your childishly cruel words? Was it Argo that you called a "window licker"?

I've always detested cowardly bullies like you.
Feel free to start a new thread with all my lies. It will be very short.
jOe is a mean miserable fool, who did lie when he claimed I have (present tense Keith) no damascus barrel gun, and was never man enough to admit or apologize despite my passive-aggressive attempt to shame him into doing so by thanking him in advance when I started the thread that proved him wrong.

And my previous offer to donate $10,000 to the NRA ILA in your name if you can prove I wasn't in Guatemala as I claimed still stands. I am a man of my word. You are a computer hacking whiz so it should be easy. Wouldn't be worth it? Just to prove me a liar?
BTW: we spent almost twice that on the ministry in 2018, non tax deductible because we are too small time to be a 501c3, a ministry that involves a lot more than just going to Guatemala. Could have purchased a nice damascus double, if I had different priorities, but I'm very happy with my pitiful low grade Smith.

Whatchathink Keith? Knock yourself out. And here's the best part Keith - I won't even respond to your thread because I'm not playing!

Or maybe Keith just give it a rest. No one here cares about our little war. Spend Easter with your family thanking God for them and your blessing?

And in closing wink my apologies to Gene for another thread that ended up in the cesspool.

Sidelock
Sidelock

3 Catholic churches bombed on Easter Morning in Sri Lanka. Possibly we could suspend the snarks and pray for our suffering brothers and sisters on what should be the most joyous day for Christians. Those are bodies beneath the sheets

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

3 Catholic churches bombed on Easter Morning in Sri Lanka. Possibly we could suspend the snarks and pray for our suffering brothers and sisters on what should be the most joyous day for Christians. Those are bodies beneath the sheets

I agree 100%. May God keep the souls of those departed in his loving arms.

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

A real tragedy in Sri Lanka.

But before anyone jumps to an "evil Muslims" conclusion, it might be worthwhile to know a little something about Sri Lanka.
Its population is about 70% Buddhist. Muslims, Christians, and Hindus are all minorities, less than 10% each of the population. And militant Buddhist monks have attacked both Christian churches and Muslim mosques. Best let the dust settle before hauling out knee jerk accusations.

PS: I know "militant Buddhist" may sound to many almost like a contradiction in terms. However, if you look at what the Buddhist majority has done to the Muslim minority in Myanmar, then it doesn't sound nearly as strange.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No jumping to conclusions here, just heart felt prayers to those that suffered the attack. A blessed Easter to everyone.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Preacher Drew. I hope the Easter Bunny brought you some more estrogen patches. Your response was amusing, but typically deceptive. I did have a past conflict here with Greg that I feel was an unfortunate misunderstanding. I already mentioned that fact, so there was no real need for you to dredge it up other than your continued effort to denigrate me, as you attempt to make yourself look like a man. Now there's a joke... an invertebrate trying to be a man! Anyway, to refresh your dishonest memory, Greg got the impression that I didn't respect military veterans, which isn't at all true. I hope he understands that. My disrespect back then was directed toward Larry, but had nothing at all to do with his military service. And your assertion that I gave him an effeminate nickname is incorrect.

And please Drew... don't try to tell us you always respected Greg when you publicly accused him of "defending the indefensible" pertaining to the sex abuse scandal. Is dishonest crap like that really your idea of "respect"? And what do we have to do to shame you into apologizing to him for that? Sorry, I keep forgetting that narcissists like you don't ever admit being wrong.

I guess you are just too stupid to understand what Wonko has to do with this, so I'll spell it out for you. Once again, you brought up your disapproval of the word LIBTARD, and even mentioned JAPS, although I don't have any idea who said anything about JAPS, and got your estrogen flowing again. But the reason I posted the QUOTE from Wonko was because of his frequent use of the word "RETARD". Of course, "RETARD" was also a favored word used multiple times by Last Dollar... usually directed toward Conservatives. But for some reason, if certain people posted the word LIBTARD... directed toward gun owners who vote for Liberal Left anti-gunners, you would have a hissy fit. You said it was disrespectful toward those who had retarded children. But if someone you liked such as Wonko or Last Dollar used the full-blown word "RETARD", you never said a word. To me, that is more evidence of your hypocrisy and selective civility.

I also got a kick out of seeing you once again attempt to tar jOe as a Liar when you have been caught in many more lies here than him. His mention that you didn't even own any Damascus barreled guns was not a lie, but was simply based upon old information that was no longer 100% accurate. His old information was an admission from you in a PM, but now we all know our Big-Time Damascus Expert has ONE ratty L.C. Smith with thin Damascus barrels. When you thanked jOe for making an apology, he called you out for telling a lie. At that time, you didn't make that lame-ass excuse about attempting to shame him into any apology. Did you really use the term "Passive-Agressive" when you made that silly excuse? Have you been reading Cosmopolitan or Ladies Home Journal again?

I don't expect any answer to this question, but I'll ask once again anyway. Where and when did I ever say you didn't actually go to Guatemala? What is the purpose of this $10,000 wager to donate to NRA-ILA when I never made such a claim? Don't you think it's time to put up or shut up? Or would you rather keep on being a total fraud about this matter? You know damn well that my comments about your Guatemala trip came after you started your 9/20/2016 "Down One" crybaby thread:

Preacher's Crybaby" DOWN ONE" Farewell Thread

I never said that you didn't go to Guatemala. You know that, but persist with this dishonest narrative. I merely made the comment that you were logged in here all but 4 1/2 days of your absence, and your big dangerous medical mission trip was little more than a long weekend when you include travel time. So why don't you stop trying to deceive everyone here with this lie and your apparent dishonest claim that I said you didn't actually go? Are you that desperate to make me look bad? Nevermind... obviously you are. Must be some sick invertebrate thing.

So you want me to just give it a rest Drew??? Why don't you go back to your post #543895 earlier in this thread on 4/18/19 where you compared me to nca225? I was going to respond to your bullshit at that time, but didn't. When you later took that dishonest low blow at Greg, I decided to say something about your bullshit. So tell us Drew... who fired the first shot ONCE AGAIN? And who is crying once again because I hit back when I'm attacked?

Whatchathink Keith? Knock yourself out. And here's the best part Keith - I won't even respond to your thread because I'm not playing!

And here's the best part Preacher... you say you won't respond, and that you're not playing. But you've said that before... and it's just more horse-shit, because you already did respond.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Pocono Billie,
I find it amusing that you harp on others lies when you have been caught telling lies yourself about many board members including myself. Lies speak to a lack of integrity in a person and you have none. Only the lowest forms of humanity would stoop to breaking laws and hacking into another forum members personal hard drive.

Originally Posted By: keith
Hi there Shortshells. I see you are making your second post with your new identity. Still too cowardly to use your other Doublegunshop screen name? Do you still think I don't know who you are? You should have covered your tracks better when you sent a cowardly anonymous intimidation letter to my house back in December. Your cyber security sucks and you let me right into your hard drive up there in N.Y. Too late to close the barn door now.

I do hope you get your horse back in the barn William. Have a great day.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
A real tragedy in Sri Lanka.

But before anyone jumps to an "evil Muslims" conclusion, it might be worthwhile to know a little something about Sri Lanka.
Its population is about 70% Buddhist. Muslims, Christians, and Hindus are all minorities, less than 10% each of the population. And militant Buddhist monks have attacked both Christian churches and Muslim mosques. Best let the dust settle before hauling out knee jerk accusations.

PS: I know "militant Buddhist" may sound to many almost like a contradiction in terms. However, if you look at what the Buddhist majority has done to the Muslim minority in Myanmar, then it doesn't sound nearly as strange.

It's a new day with updates on the investigation. Unfortunately, the scope of the tragedy expands, but some sense of relief might be taken in the devises and plots the were subsequently stopped.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK Stevie, show us a lie I've told here. The last time you accused me of lying was when you claimed there was no gun registration in New Zealand... Even though a special permit is required for all semi-automatics. So as it turned out, you were the one who was telling lies. Of course,the link you provided to prove your erroneous points about the percentage of registered firearms used data that came from a known anti-gunner.

I'm not sure if that was dishonesty or simply more of your usual stupidity. You also have your head up your ass with your repeated concerns that I hacked into Shortshells PC. I can understand your personal concern in this matter since you and Shortshells likely have shared some intimate fairy-gunsmith thoughts. Do you think Shortshells should be breaking the rules here by using a second username, since he was too much of a coward to use his regular name and login? And what do you think of him sending anonymous intimidation mail to my house, and making threats to me? It seems he is the one who let the horse out of the barn by leaving an internet trail a blind man could follow. Both of you combined couldn't muster the I.Q. of an idiot.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

OK Stevie, show us a lie I've told here. The last time you accused me of lying was when you claimed there was no gun registration in New Zealand... Even though a special permit is required for all semi-automatics. So as it turned out, you were the one who was telling lies. Of course,the link you provided to prove your erroneous points about the percentage of registered firearms used data that came from a known anti-gunner.

I'm not sure if that was dishonesty or simply more of your usual stupidity. You also have your head up your ass with your repeated concerns that I hacked into Shortshells PC. I can understand your personal concern in this matter since you and Shortshells likely have shared some intimate fairy-gunsmith thoughts. Do you think Shortshells should be breaking the rules here by using a second username, since he was too much of a coward to use his regular name and login? And what do you think of him sending anonymous intimidation mail to my house, and making threats to me? It seems he is the one who let the horse out of the barn by leaving an internet trail a blind man could follow. Both of you combined couldn't muster the I.Q. of an idiot.

Actually you had stated first that the incident in New Zealand happened in spite of the registration of guns there. I told you guns were not registered in New Zealand. Turns out neither statement is 100% true but I was much closer than you since only 3% of the guns in New Zealand were registered at the time of the incident.

"Intimate fairy-gunsmith thoughts" now that is truly funny.

Ever get your horse back in the barn Billie?

Have great day and do not worry I will continue to post quotes of your words showing what an absolute lack of morals you posses . Have a great day William.
Steve

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
....at the time of the incident....

....now that is truly funny....

That is pretty funny, what a difference a month makes.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A month, 89 people shot with 50 dead certainly has made a difference in New Zealand. Different Country, very different gun culture than we have here. I do not find it funny but you may Craig.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

A month, 89 people shot with 50 dead certainly has made a difference in New Zealand. Different Country, very different gun culture than we have here. I do not find it funny but you may Craig.

Of course fundamentally trying to change America is funny Steve, or dead serious, you may take your pick too. Oh, I'm sorry, did you mean the 89 victims? That was cute.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Of course fundamentally trying to change America is funny Steve, or dead serious, you may take your pick too. Oh, I'm sorry, did you mean the 89 victims? That was cute.

I think the part you missed Craig was that the incident and the changes took place in New Zealand. You sure are being cute......

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Stevie, but you repeatedly stated that there is NO REGISTRATION of firearms In New Zealand. That was a 100% lie, and your own link confirmed that. Yet you kept on calling me the liar.

The 3% figure you cite is highly doubtful at best since all handguns and all semi-automatic firearms are registered one way or another. Other firearms are not registered at time of sale, but every gun owner or gun buyer must undergo a background check and have a license which can be revoked for criminal behavior or ANY perceived misuse. That's quite different from here where you could buy hundreds of guns from private owners without any registration or checks. Of course, Liberals like you see that as a problem. For you, 50 deaths from gun violence is just cause for infringements, yet 86 dead from a Muslim driving a delivery truck into a crowd in Nice, France isn't nearly such a concern to you.

Best of all Stevie... your precious 3% figure came from a known anti-gunner. That sounds like something King Brown would do in his perpetual quest to undermine our gun rights. Tell your intimate little boyfriend Shortshells I am still here, and said hi.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Sorry Stevie, but you repeatedly stated that there is NO REGISTRATION of firearms In New Zealand. That was a 100% lie, and your own link confirmed that. Yet you kept on calling me the liar.

The 3% figure you cite is highly doubtful at best since all handguns and all semi-automatic firearms are registered one way or another. Other firearms are not registered at time of sale, but every gun owner or gun buyer must undergo a background check and have a license which can be revoked for criminal behavior or ANY perceived misuse. That's quite different from here where you could buy hundreds of guns from private owners without any registration or checks. Of course, Liberals like you see that as a problem. For you, 50 deaths from gun violence is just cause for infringements, yet 86 dead from a Muslim driving a delivery truck into a crowd in Nice, France isn't nearly such a concern to you.

Best of all Stevie... your precious 3% figure came from a known anti-gunner. That sounds like something King Brown would do in his perpetual quest to undermine our gun rights. Tell your intimate little boyfriend Shortshells I am still here, and said hi.

Wrong again Billie......and you know how deceptive you were are being currently. Only a very small number of the firearms in New Zealand were registered before this incident. NZ gun license holders in the past were only checked at the time of getting the license. When purchasing a gun they simply had to show the license. I watched this play out in multiple stores while there buying guns and a whole bunch of times in the gun store then owned by my friends. You were simply wrong. You were and are liar William.

Any evidence of the vast conspiracy working against you William? I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. BWAHAHAHA....you are simply a joke Pocono Bill.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

The self-loathing acid has eaten away your soul William.
You couldn't grieve for the Christians in Sri Lanka for 5 hours before suggesting estrogen patches for me, and now another obvious gay reference for Steve "your intimate little boyfriend Shortshells"

Is what you have become what God made you to be William?
And the person that Christ died for?
Are you really (a believing) Roman Catholic, or is that another lie?
Is there anything about you that would attract someone join your church? To Jesus?

William - you are losing it. Talk to your priest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now the yellow shirts in France are knocking the despicable rich folks and corporations which are giving huge amounts of money to rebuild the cathedral. This tells us all we need to know about the yellow shirts. Communist, anti-God, and anti-Capitalist low lifes. More libtards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now the Ceylon authorities have identified the church & hotel killers as a Muslim terrorist group. Golly, what a surprize with all those Catholic & Buddist extremists out there blowing people up. Still cannot presume the obvious. That would be presumptuist as well as obvious. 14 arrested, so far. Another bomb killed 3 cops who went to arrest them. Islam, the religion of peace...or is that piece?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Obama referred to the slain Christians as "Easter worshippers". The name of Christ is such an anathema to the left that they won't even refer to the slain as Christians, because they don't even want to say the name of Christ.

Someday they will, and they will acknowledge Him as Lord. Phillipians 2:11

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan's comment is as stupid as anything I've seen here in a decade.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Stan's comment is as stupid as anything I've seen here in a decade.

Fool...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Drew, why didn't you have anything derogatory to say to your fairy-gunsmith friend Stevie, since he hasn't demonstrated any grief for the dead in Sri Lanka?

And why no severe criticism for your bro Larry who also showed no grief, but merely jumped in to fend off any blame toward his favored Muslims, and instead point his fingers at Bhuddists?

I know why Drew. It's because you are a petty hypocrite, and blinded by your hatred for me, and your desire to run away from the valid questions I asked you about your dishonesty and hypocrisy.

Now why can't you just be honest for a change, and tell everyone which of us started with personal attacks in this Thread? Was it me, or was it you? Let me refresh your memory Preacher. It was you who started by comparing me to the loathsome nca225, and then later you personally attacked Greg by claiming he "defended the indefensible" sexual abuse of children by pedophiles. Your fairy-gunsmith partner Stevie likes to follow me around with his dishonest accusations, so don't be so butt-hurt when I respond to him or her or whatever she is.

And please stop trying to hide behind your Scripture, your Bible, and pictures of dead bodies covered with sheets. You really aren't fooling anyone but yourself. Stick with pics of your dead dog or the little Guatemalan girl, as you have done in the past when trying to deflect attention away from what a fake and fraud you are. Would you like to revisit that $10,000 wager and the horse-shit claim you accused me of? Or will you run away from the truth about it again? My opinions of you come directly from your actions here. What do you expect?

But in all seriousness Drew, I'll have to check a Catholic Catechism to see if there is some requirement that I must show respect and kindness to a disingenuous hypocritical little worm who hides behind Scripture. The Nuns would have probably had to beat me with a metal yardstick to drive home such a lesson.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stevie, it's simply amazing that you can just keep telling the same big fat lie.

EVERY HANDGUN in New Zealand had to be registered.

EVERY Military Style SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLE in New Zealand had to have a Special Permit from the Police. That's Gun Registration too Stevie. And the definition of MSSA is much much broader than anti-gunners here even wish for. But I already informed you of that.

And you keep on with the LIE by claiming that is a very small percentage of firearms in New Zealand. Of course, you started with the BIG FAT LIE that there are NO FIREARMS Registered in New Zealand.

Here's the link you provided to prove your point Stevie:

Fairy-Gunsmith SKB's "proof" from an ANTI-GUNNER

The figure you cited as your "proof" came from Philip Alpers, who founded the organization GunPolicy.org. Philip Alpers is well known as an Anti-Gun activist. He cannot be trusted any more than you Stevie. Let's see you put that horse back in the barn. I plan to trot your anti-gun horse out a lot Stevie. Even you will have a hard time topping that one for sheer stupidity. I can't imagine why anyone would wish to give business to a fairy-gunsmith who uses inaccurate data from known anti-gunners in order to defend an anti-gun agenda.

You lied to us Stevie, concerning gun registration in New Zealand, and you used dishonest agenda driven data from an avowed Anti-Gunner to try to Bullshit us. You and the Preacher are two of a kind. Wouldn't it have been great if your gay little friend Shortshells had been able to really intimidate me and make me leave you all. Then you and other Libtards and FUDD's could have lied with impunity. Unfortunately, I'm still here to share my opinions which are based upon your own words and actions, as always.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

No you are the liar Billie...please provide a link showing another source on the percentage of guns registered in New Zealand, or something backing your LIE about every transaction on a gun requiring a back ground check.....another of YOUR LiES. It is what you do, lie ,lie and lie some more. You have zero integrity. Nothing new William. You are the lowest form of humanity. Have a great day.
Steve

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the lead paragraph from an article I read this morning, and a link to the entire piece is below.

Just hearing crickets from those who warned us not to jump to conclusions on the Sri Lanka attacks...

Barely an hour after the flames began to rise above Notre Dame -- at a time when no explanation could be provided by anyone -- the French authorities rushed to say that the fire was an "accident" and that "arson has been ruled out." The remarks sounded like all the official statements made by the French government after attacks in France during the last decade.

The Notre Dame fire also occurred at a time when attacks against churches in France and Europe have been multiplying. More than 800 churches were attacked in France during the year 2018 alone.

gatestoneinstitute.org/14107/notre-dame-destruction-christian-europe

Mike

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.