March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

These kind of fires that start during renovation of old buildings are often caused by lead burning (welding) where the sheet cannot be beaten or welted or the heat from halogen lighting near tinder dry timber. Led lamps are more common these days though. A stray cigarette end or the sparks from cutting/grinding could do the same job
We nearly lost one of the Queen's pads not so long ago when hot works on the roof ignited the timber. It's easily done.
Apparently, the structure of the building is ok so I'd imagine it will be restored to its former glory.
I hope the Vatican will use some of its vast wealth to fund it rather than relying on hand outs from the general public.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nick-- I've worked in the welding trade all my adult life- and know a little about metallurgy-- You can't cut lead, or cast iron, with an oxy-acetylene torch. Don't know the term you used in your post-- "welting" as it refers to metalworking- care to explain that one??

Although I agree in principle with friend Stan's post on this sad affair-- and he is right- the Muslims are not shy about listing their many world-wide terrorist schemes, I still tend to think they were somehow responsible for part of this tragedy- Granted, they may NOT have started the fire- but what's to keep them from disrupting the communications that occur after such a disaster is "called in" a major traffic jam in the heavy Paris traffic could delay the arrival of the fire trucks, for example--

My only real experience with the usage of lead comes from my Military service years- lead is a shield against radio waves- all the electric blasting caps used in EOD training were kept in a lead shielded wooden storage case, usually 10 caps per case. RWTF- but NO "riding to the foxes on my watch!"--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, That entire second paragraph of yours looks like you are simply trying to find ways to blame roughly a quarter of the world's population for something for which you have exactly zero evidence at the moment. Wait a while and see if it is justified. Nothing is to keep any of us from doing something evil. Why single out Muslims here and now?

Maybe we should stick to double guns...

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too early to form any opinion. Such a shame though!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Easy there,partner- I'm not the first guy who has posted herein that has suggested that the Muslims were behind this event. I will admit to not being a fan of the Koran. And America is NOT the "Great Satan" either. As a life-long Roman Catholic, I am deeply disturbed about this, as much as I would have been had Hitler sacked the Vatican during WW11-- I'll reserve my final judgement until the final facts are in--

We had a local Pizza and convenience store here, located about 1/8th mile from the Middle School and High Schools in Greenville. The former owners retired and sold it to some Muslim immigrants- they drove it into the ground- they were rude to all the school kids, including 2 of our grandchildren (who were raised to be polite to others) served rotted lunch meat in their sandwiches, and shouted curses in Arabic to anyone who looked like a White Christian American--they went Chapter 11-

Muslims want to move here, but as a general rule, do not wish to conform to the American way of living and doing business with others. And I personally do NOT care for the way they mis-treat their wives and daughters and females-- You want to move to America, you learn English as your primary language-- IMO anyway!! RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://youtu.be/P2_jqOedtjU
RWTF, Hi, couldn't think of a way to describe it but the wonders of modern technology should help. It's a water tight folded joint in sheetwork.
Lead burning is a lowish temp weld using a propane or oxyacetylene torch and lead filler rod. It's tricky with thin sheet as it's easy to hole through so you've gotta move quickly. It was used more in the chemical industry for chemical vessels (acids etc) until modern plastics took over. It's a dirty job and leadburners needed regular blood tests as the fumes let lead into the body via the lungs, once there were so many ppm in the blood, you had to stop working with it so probably a good thing it's not so common now.
I've done a bit when a downspout or drain pipe needed to be fixed in a lead gully but again, it's not so common now with modern materials.
Hope that throws some light on it.
Cheers
Nick.

Last edited by Nick. C; 04/16/19 11:24 AM.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Righto-- Years ago, Plumbers (Latin- Plumbe- lead) had to"wipe" a lead pipe joint to pass their Journeyman's test and get their trade union card. A neighbor who is now a Master Plumber tells me the Union no longer requires that test-- . Have never worked with lead or even galvanized pipe- PVC is, along with canned beer, one of the greater inventions of our time- IMO. Cheers!! RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just took a peek- nice job of running the puddle and freezing it, from one tack to the nest- good hand to hand co-ordination. You want to be a skilled TIG welder? First learn to gas weld and braze- in position to start with. RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
RWTF, That entire second paragraph of yours looks like you are simply trying to find ways to blame roughly a quarter of the world's population for something for which you have exactly zero evidence at the moment. Wait a while and see if it is justified. Nothing is to keep any of us from doing something evil. Why single out Muslims here and now?

Maybe we should stick to double guns...

Dang, man! Really? Have you been living on Venus for the past 20 years?
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.