May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 895 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,486
Posts545,294
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Need to purchase a good secure, tough case for going on a trip. Will be flying. Will take one of my Foxes so its a takedown case.

There are a multitude of them out there so I need some first hand opions.

No custom, wait 6-8 months types. Off the shelf for me. Your thoughts.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Americase is the way to go if you're looking for the best protection. Not cheap but worth every penney.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Joe. Sometimes you can find them on eBay or other sites for a $100 or so less. The downside is the weight. They come close, with a heavy shotgun, to crimping your baggage allowance on most airlines.

Jim

APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may want to consider a Pelican case. Americase is good but does say "gun" all over it. The do not take airline abuse with grace.

Pelican would secure the gun between foam as opposed to compartment style of Americase.

Pelican offers several different long gun styles- I have used these to move my guns by air as well as much of my gear (electronics) for business use with very good results.

al

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had my Browning/Pelican case to Argentina 3 times and flown to several states with it. The only problem is the TSA locks you have to buy are not very good.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw a buddy ship his Americase 20K gun in a hard golf case. He claimed to have done it many times and his golf case / gun case always gets to the next stop. He just declared his gun at he airport, put his gun case in the golf case which he altered to fit and had no problems. I guess people have no great demand for hot golf clubs compared to a hot gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use these cases:

http://www.kalispelcaseline.com/

They're heavy and not cheap, but they are very tough.

I even ship guns through the mail in them.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just got one of these from Cabela's ...... very good design and stout looking. Haven't used it yet.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&id=0037552

Al

Last edited by Bouvier; 08/29/07 11:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a Tuffpak. http://www.tuffpak.com/retail/category1.asp?D=D0117&S=S0165&G=G1&C=C0282&N=1 Pack the gun in a padded soft case and load it into the Tuffpak with other gear and clothes.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Couple of options to consider:

If weight and cost are not major constraints, you can get an absolutely bullet proof case through Americase with compartments. Weight empty may be as much as 25 pounds and cost is almost $1,000. PM me if interested as these are at the prototype stage.

If you are more likely to want a medium duty case, Americase, Kalispel/ICC and Strong make lighter aluminum cases. Price is more in the $400 range (if that). A bulldozer or other machine could probably inflict damage but most traveling obstacles are okay. These can work on a compressed foam basis or have compartments. Americase is the heaviest at around 17 pounds and the others are substantially lighter flat cases. I dislike the cases with rods that go through hasps because TSA doesn't do a great job of getting those back in place. The counter argument is that the rod is fairly secure.

The two detractions for the flatter, lighter aluminum cases with foam only are that it is vital that one have a big, flat surface on which to open them or the contents can roll out. Second, the components inside may move if the case is dropped from a considerable height. These risks may not bother you.

I like the compartmented cases because I go through airports where TSA likes to open the cases and take components out for an examination. It is easier to get everything securely packed again by the TSA personnel if there is a compartment involved ime. There is some tradeoff in that less insulation is used of course to account for the compartments. With either of the heavy duty or the regular Americase products, this is not a big concern as the cases are stout.

http://www.americase.com
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choic...6217&bhcp=1
http://www.strongcasebytnb.com

The plastic cases are the lightest and quite stout but not as sturdy as the aluminum in my experience. I would use them for shipping inside a box but not for travel. Just my opinion though as almost everyone I know going to South America uses them due to weight considerations. Pelican, SKB, etc. all make good ones. These tend to be a good buy in terms of price and being able to get one quickly.

All of the above benefit from an outer cover to protect the case but that does sort of scream guncase according to airport personnel.

For lots of gear, many swear by the Tuffpak products. Dealers use them to bring many guns to shows. The guns are first packed in padded slips and then put in the outer case. I find these unwieldy to move around. Their capacity might be good if one also packed more gear in one for a longer trip. Remember that the whole kit may have to be unpacked for TSA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.