March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For those of us who would like an in-depth double gun reference library, what do you all consider to be the best books (or other sources) to fill the shelves?

How about your top 5 books/resources?

My list (not intentionally in any order) is through the eyes of a beginner (interested primarily in vintage British and Spanish Doubles):

1. Desmond Mills Amateur Gunsmithing:
I used this as a guide to strip and clean my AyA 4/53 boxlock. I found it to be very clear and useful.

2. Jack Rowe videos on Midway and Brownells YouTube stations. I've watched them for hours.

3. Dig Haddoke's books, especially Vintage Guns, have been a good introduction to restoring and caring for old guns, and his website has been very useful, especially for traditional oil finishing.

4. Stephen Dodd Hughes, Fine Gunmaking Double Shotguns. Of course it's an explicit 'don't try this at home' book and intentionally sparse, but it's got some great info nonetheless.

5. Finally, this forum has been extremely helpful...

... Which is why I'm asking for help now with making a 'next level' reading list.

Last edited by Woodreaux; 04/14/19 09:27 AM.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

"The gun and its development" by W.W. Greener is fascinating.
"The art of gunsmithing - the shotgun" by Lewis Potter is full of good info
and,
"Gunsmithing" by Roy F. Dunlap , whilst not specifically a shotgun book is jam packed with all kinds of handy stuff.
"The British shotgun" Vol's 1-3 by I.M. Crudgington contain a mind boggling amount of info on designs and patents
I also found Richard Arnold's book on auto's very good too.

Last edited by Nick. C; 04/14/19 07:16 PM.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

On two ends of the price spectrum are Gun Craft by Venters, and Shotgun Technicana. There's a book written from the amatuer Smith's point of view by a fellow that used to visit here, Tony Treadwell, called Vintage English Shotguns and Their Restoration.

There're countless tidbits sprinkled in books dedicated to makers and shooting. Libraries can get a little excessive, but in a good way. Don't rule out best rifle making references. Another good online source to look around on is the Explora on the Westley Richards site, if your weren't aware of it. Best of luck with your search.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Excellent. Thanks to both of you. That gives me a good starting place for the library. I've got several books, but, for the most part, they're either too general, with only a chapter or so on double guns, or they're too superficial with the assumption that only a trained gunsmith should ever attempt more than the absolute simplest jobs.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sadly Des Mills and Tony Treadwell have passed away but their legacy was good books .
Also try and obtain 'The Modern Gunsmith' two volumes by James Virgil Howe.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've updated this to be a list of the books I've currently got on the shelf, as well as those that I am in search of. Hopefully this will be a good list for others who are also trying to learn more about gunsmithing. I may try to add a summary / review for books as I plow through the list.

My current full library list in order of publication:

Greener, WW.......The Gun and Its Development 1910
Vickery, WF........Advanced Gunsmithing 1940
Howe, James.......The Modern Gunsmith 2 Volume Set 1941
Howe, Walter J....Professional Gunsmithing 1946
Dunlap, Roy........Gunsmithing 1963
Brownell, RF.......Gunsmith Kinks 1972
Carmichel, Jim....DIY Gunsmithing 1981
Mills, Desmond....Amateur Gunsmithing 1987
Spearing GW ......The Craft of the Gunsmith 1988
McIntosh, Michael.Shotguns and Shooting 1995
Hughes, SD.........Fine Gunmaking: Double Shotguns 1998
Wieland, Terry....Vintage British Shotguns 2008
Hadoke, Diggory..Vintage Guns 2008
Venters, Vic........Gun Craft: Fine Guns and Gunmakers in the 21st Century 2010
Crudgington IM.... The British shotgun 2011
Hadoke, Diggory...The British Boxlock Gun and Rifle 2012
Kypridemos, Nikitas Linseed Oil Finish: The simple, fast way to a hand rubbed oil finish 2016

Wishlist
Trevallion, David & McIntosh, Michael.Shotgun Technicana
Treadwell, T..... An English Gun-makibg Tradition: Vintage English Shotguns and their Restoration
Hatcher JS Hatcher's Notebook
Hughes SD Double Guns and Custom Gunsmithing
Yardley, Michael Gunfitting
Westbrook, David L Professional Stockmaking: Through the Eyes of a Stockmaker
"Gunsmithing Tips and Projects" from Wolfe Publishing
Bish, Tommy L Home Gunsmithing Digest

Other Resources:
https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/articles/
https://www.theexplora.com/category/publications/

Video Playlists:
General Gunsmithing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBh4uEWS8_ubeV67Ki5lHosi6rIZY8ek8
Jack Rowe by Midway https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEUyTWz75c-r96hvqhOuKFxJ0w8uvRP2n
Jack Rowe by Brownell: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBh4uEWS8_ubNPeqVDClG0_y3pYA_giHX
General Gunsmithing with Larry Potterfield: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1597A9911EB61B5A

Last edited by Woodreaux; 05/30/19 11:57 AM.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

G W Spearing's book is one of my favourites. There's some very useful info inside and a great read.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That one just arrived in my mailbox today! Looking forward to reading it.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your current gunsmithing library looks pretty decent. I agree with craigd that "Shotgun Technicana" is worthwhile, but usually pricey when found. It may have additional value as an investment. I thought Tony Treadwell's book was available as an E-book download, but haven't seen any mention recently that his widow is still selling it.

I think the entire four volume set of Brownell's "Gunsmith Kinks" has a lot of useful info, even if most of it is not aimed strictly toward doubles. "Professional Stockmaking: Through the Eyes of a Stockmaker" by David L Wesbrook is very good. And if you will be doing any shotgun stock making, "Gunfitting" by Michael Yardley will be useful. Used copies of Tommy L. Bish's "Home Gunsmithing Digest" can be found very reasonably priced, and have some good info, even though it is aimed more toward beginners. There used to be a lot of excellent gunsmithing articles years ago in RIFLE Magazine when guys like John Bivens and Henry Beveridge were regularly contributing articles.

"Amatuer Gunsmithing" by Mills was OK, but I was a bit disappointed considering what I paid for it. And you have already seen that the Steven Dodd Hughes books are "intentionally sparse", and offer very little except nice pictures and self promotion. I wish I hadn't wasted my money on them. And that opinion has nothing to do with him recently calling me on the phone and making drunken obscene threats. Apparently, he didn't like me mentioning that he had been using this site for free advertising for his over-priced classes. Liberal gunsmiths can be awfully sensitive.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I added those books to my wishlist in the post. Hopefully the list will be helpful to others like me looking for guidance on what to buy.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

You might add "Gunsmithing Tips and Projects" from Wolfe Publishing - collected articles from Rifle magazine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
You might add "Gunsmithing Tips and Projects" from Wolfe Publishing - collected articles from Rifle magazine.

+1 ... another very good book!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut

+1 ... another very good book!

Added to the list...

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have Des Mills book, bought it back in 87 when i was still in school. Its good, but basically its just stripping and cleaning a boxlock and a sidelock, some other good information in it, i used his bluing solution to good effect over the years, but its not worth the huge prices its fetching on the market now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't take a pretty for my copy of this one. There are many, many guns in it I would never need to take down, but when you get ready to strip-down one that is unfamiliar to you, it is priceless. There's 275 different rifles and shotguns contained, with pics and procedures to disassemble and re-assemble. For $24.95 it's hard to go wrong.

https://www.nrastore.com/gifts/books-and...otguns-bk-01616

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is the updated list compiled without reference to my personal library. I believe I've included all recommended books.
Thanks to all of you for the input.

Greener, WW.......The Gun and Its Development 1910
Vickery, WF.......Advanced Gunsmithing 1940
Howe, James.......The Modern Gunsmith 2 Volume Set 1941
Howe, Walter J....Professional Gunsmithing 1946
Hatcher JS .......Hatcher's Notebook 1948
Dunlap, Roy.......Gunsmithing 1963
Brownell, RF......Gunsmith Kinks vol 1-4 1969-2001
Carmichel, Jim....DIY Gunsmithing 1981
Bish, Tommy L ....Home Gunsmithing Digest 1984
Mills, Desmond....Amateur Gunsmithing 1987
Spearing GW ......The Craft of the Gunsmith 1988
Westbrook, David L. Professional Stockmaking: Through the Eyes of a Stockmaker 1994
McIntosh, Michael..Shotguns and Shooting 1995
Hughes, SD.........Fine Gunmaking: Double Shotguns 1998
Trevallion, David & McIntosh, Michael. Shotgun Technicana 2002
Yardley, Michael...Gunfitting: The Quest for Perfection for Shotguns and Rifles 2006
Roberts, Joseph B.. Rifles and Shotguns The Official NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly 2007
Wieland, Terry.....Vintage British Shotguns 2008
Hadoke, Diggory....Vintage Guns 2008
Various ...........Gunsmithing Tips and Projects from Wolfe Publishing 2010
Venters, Vic.......Gun Craft: Fine Guns and Gunmakers in the 21st Century 2010
Crudgington IM.....The British shotgun 2011
Treadwell, T.......An English Gun-making Tradition: Vintage English Shotguns and their Restoration 2012
Hadoke, Diggory....The British Boxlock Gun and Rifle 2012
Hughes SD ... .....Double Guns and Custom Gunsmithing 2014
Kypridemos, Nikitas ... Linseed Oil Finish: The simple, fast way to a hand rubbed oil finish 2016

Other Resources:
https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/articles/
https://www.theexplora.com/category/publications/

Thread regarding traditional British oil finish (From Ernie aka Damascus):
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=415289#Post415289

Video Playlists:
General Gunsmithing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBh4uEWS8_ubeV67Ki5lHosi6rIZY8ek8
Jack Rowe by Midway https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEUyTWz75c-r96hvqhOuKFxJ0w8uvRP2n
Jack Rowe by Brownell: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBh4uEWS8_ubNPeqVDClG0_y3pYA_giHX
General Gunsmithing with Larry Potterfield: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1597A9911EB61B5A

Last edited by Woodreaux; 06/03/19 11:13 AM.

Jim
Boxlock
Boxlock

+3 on shotgun technicana, if you are looking for more than a reading list, nothing beats a good cheap gun to "experiment" and develop your skills with... while books and videos can keep you entertained till 3 am in the morning, NOTHING beats getting your hands dirty on project

Boxlock
Boxlock

I agree, brother! I love doing and I learned it all by reading and doing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woodreaux
Treadwell, T.......An English Gun-making Tradition: Vintage English Shotguns and their Restoration 2012

All of the resources folks mention are excellent. My favorite right now is Treadwell's book. I feel a kinship to his explanation of "sympathetic restoration", and wish I could have had the chance to discuss this with him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Graham
Originally Posted By: Woodreaux

All of the resources folks mention are excellent. My favorite right now is Treadwell's book. I feel a kinship to his explanation of "sympathetic restoration", and wish I could have had the chance to discuss this with him.

Bill's work has reminded me of Tony Treadwell's practice of "sympathetic restoration"...Geo

al Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently acquired "The Art of Gunsmithing-The Shotgun" by Lewis Potter and have found it to be very well written and informative.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This copy of Shotgun Technicana just popped up on eBay. It's about half the going price for this book, even though it's still very expensive. Thought I would pass it along.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274340657282

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is another suggestion. Instead of spending $150 to $200 on Technicana, and another $500 on overpriced books, search around and buy a beater boxlock, and a beater sidelock, a set of scrap barrels, Damascus and fluid, a good quality set of Brownell's gunsmith screwdrivers, punches, roll punches, a few quality files with handles, a quality set of drill bits and a good drill press with machinest's vise, a quality long-gun vise, a deadblow hammer, a brass hammer, a good bench vise with padded jaws, a reasonably priced sonic cleaner, a rotary tool with bits, and a small MAP torch, and a set of needle nose channel lock pliers (small and smallest and file the teeth flat). Also add a large clear plastic bag (used for disassembly whenever some part might go flying out and across the room). With this basic set of tools in hand, have at the boxlock and sidelock. Take each apart, clean, study, and reassemble. Figure out how they come apart and go together. Years ago, too many to mention, I did just this with a Stevens 311, Winchester Model 12 and 50, and a worn out wall hanger German sidelock. Valuable experience. I learned what I could handle and when I needed to contact the professional (read, much experience) smith. I am usually stopped when the task at hand calls for Larry Potterfield's array of high-end tools and shop.

I would add that for a specific project gun, this forum cannot be topped. It takes patience, but you will get the best advice (with a modicum of other input) right here on this forum. And it is great fun. The Parker forum and the Remington forum are also an excellent place to go for advice and insight.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Truth be told, I like books. Of all sorts.

Aside from the pleasure of it, I am also of the opinion that a good book by a master can save lots of time and mistakes and give insights that are otherwise difficult to come by.

Incidentally, the Technicana book on eBay has sold.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is sad the book has not been reprinted in another edition as it is a good book.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
It is sad the book has not been reprinted in another edition as it is a good book.

You seem to be a very sad little worm Gladys Kravitz. You are sad about Polywad becoming an unreliable supplier of shotshells, and now you are sad that Shotgun Technicana has not been reprinted. Seems obvious that the demand for a second edition just isn't there.

Copies are available to just about anyone who wants one. There was a copy advertised right here in the For Sale forum for only $75.00 a couple weeks ago. About a year ago, I PM'd Argo44 to tell him where he could purchase a copy much cheaper than that. I think I paid around $20.00 for my own copy, brand new from Brownell's. Many of my gun and gunsmithing books have increased in value more than my guns. Nothing to be sad about unless you are just a sad individual.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Really fun thread. Reading through it I have added a couple of books to my library. Thanks.

Reading this thread took me to my gun library to see what it contained and a look for books that I have read but forgotten about. Here are a few that I have enjoyed and although not specifically gunsmith books are worth getting if you can find a copy.

Lancaster, Charles, Illustrated Treatise on the Art of Shooting, 1889. Part I on how to shoot on the wing; Part II on guns (mainly Lancaster). For those of us who chase birds on the wing with beloved gundog this volume is a fun read.

Churchill, Robert, Churchill's Shotgun Book. A guide to the successful use of the smooth-bored game gun. A. Knopf 1955. I list this here for those of us who rough shoot. While devoted to the English successful use of the smooth-bored game gun, Part IV, Chapter 1 Shotgun work in America is a very enjoyable view as presented by a respected member of the British shooting society. Reminds me of the first time I visited Purdey's and attempted to describe to the gunroom manager the art of woodcock shooting in Ohio and Upper Michigan, but that is a story for another time.

Dixon, W.B., European Sporting Cartridges, Vol. I, History and Development of German and Austrian Sporting Cartridges 1870-1995. Armory Press, 1997. As my gun safe includes a number of European stalking rifles, double rifles in odd metrics, and cape guns and drillings, this volume is essential.

McPherson, M.L., Accurizing the Factory Rifle. Precision Shooting, Inc. 1999. My interest includes long range BP precision shooting with pre-1885 Sharps, Winchesters and Springfield TD and 1920 to 1970 modern rifles. For the modern rifle, McPherson's volume contains a wealth of gunsmithing information.

Rinker, Robert A., Understanding Firearm Ballistics: Basic to Advanced Ballistics. Mulberry House Publishing, Inc. 3rd Ed. 1999. For anyone interested in firearms, this book is a complete course in firearms ballistics and a must read.

I would add the following. For those who shoot Damascus barreled shotguns, and shotguns and rifles aged 100+ years, the complete set of DoubleGun Journal articles by Sherman Bell Finding out for myself should be considered an essential volume of information. It would be nice if these articles were to be compiled into a single volume and offered for sale to DGJ subscribers or added to the Volume III reader.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's more in line with my thinking about the value of some books. Very few have recipes that can be followed to shoot better, find more game, or DIY a best gun, but they can give a look at history that's not always so easy to come by. The internet can be a huge resource, but books can roundout tidbits that're left out of summaries. Even if embellished, it would be sad if some of the sporting stories are lost,.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.