March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marc Ret, dogon, KY Jon, AZMike, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 882 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am sure I am just not getting it but if a set of barrels are properly regulated and the axis down the centers of each bore are straight, then how does cutting off an inch or two of barrel change the point of aim?

The cutting does not change the relative bore axis' (axises axees ???)

What am I missing?

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

The original choke and remaining choke after the cut may affect the point of impact of one or both of the barrels, and there might be some change in how the gun is recoiling and the duration. Just thoughts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In theory, the cut would need to be "square" to the axis of each barrel and they converge, so this is difficult. I suspect the "re regulation" would be done with files and "crowding" a reamer to one side or another.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On original barrels are the ends of each barrel cut to be square with the bore axis?

I have never noticed this before. Every barrel I have with factory ends appears flat and perpendicular to the center of the rib.

Make sense that a significantly out of square barrel end would throw pattern negatively but I can't imagine an amount unnoticeable to the naked eye would make much, if any, difference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels were "square" to the axis before being joined to each other.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anything done to change the muzzles of a double gun has the potential to change POI, thus affecting regulation. However, when both barrels are shortened their relationship to each other is not changed. That relationship, and proper choke work, is what allows regulation. Regulation does not mean the gun will shoot to POA, it just means that both barrels shoot to the same POI. POI of both barrels, together, can be adjusted to where needed.

If the barrels are shortened a reasonable amount due to muzzle damage, and most of the choke remains, and the muzzles are faced properly, I would not expect a change to regulation. But, I've messed with double guns long enough to know to not make guarantees concerning regulation after drastic surgery.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Almost makes me wish the late Burt Becker was with us, to give his insight into this question. In re-reading Jack O'Connor's Shotgun Book- the chapter on chokes- he mentions that Winchester's WS-1 and WS-2 were based on a slightly different radius that the standard Imp. Cyl., Mod. and Full Winchester chokes. My 1939 M12 28 gauge has a solid rib and is marked WS-2, but it is a field grade, not a Pigeon Grade skeet model (like my friend has-- his has the WS-1 choke markings. Any Winchester M12 addicts on the forum care to elaborate on this a bit? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At what distance was regulation set? Is there a standard?

Many thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't say that I can remember ever reading of a "standard" distance at which barrels were supposed to be regulated, on a shotgun. When I test double guns for regulation I like to do it at 16 to 20 yards. I want a small pattern on the plate because it is easier to determine the center of the pattern if it is small. I have found that if the gun in question is regulated at that distance I don't have to worry about it at any distance I will be shooting game or targets.

Just my findings only, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Stan

I cut the 30" barrels in the mismatched Lefever Nitro 12 gauge down to 27". Barrels gauged .729 all the way down from end of forcing cone to the start of chokes. I imagine I cut most if not all choke out but a a cyl/cyl 12 ga is great for what I am wanting this for.

I am using this for close in wood duck shooting. I am close to having all fitted and ready to test fire before final finishing and re-assembly.

I will start at 20Yds and see how she pattern/chokes out to 40.

Cheap gun and a leaning project for sure.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.