May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (LetFly, ClapperZapper, L. Brown, Jimmy W, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 667 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,593
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 23 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23
Sidelock
Sidelock

king george did not "have" to send armies to invade the rebellious american colonies. they were no threat to the empire...president lincoln did not "have" to send armies to invade the rebellious southern states...they were no threat to the federal gubmint...

both george and abe were despots, who were personally threatened by those seeking freedom...they would not tolerate those who dared to challenge their insane desires for absolute power and authority...

thus, the first and second american revolutions were bloody civil wars, where friends, neighbors and families commenced killing each other...rather insane and stupid, don't you think?

Last edited by ed good; 03/13/19 07:58 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed;
Read the definition of Civil War I posted. Neither of those wars were civil wars. The Colonies did not try to take over the English Government from King George, nor did the Confederacy try to take the US Government away from "King Abe".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The first confederacy lasted 8 years I believe and was a goat rope. Quebec was invited to join. Glad we dodged that bullet.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: ed good
what has always puzzled me, is why did so many northern men and boys answer lincoln's call in 1861? why was preserving the federal union all that important to them at that time?

The north had almost an endless supply of soldiers getting off the boats at Ellis Island...I don't think they had any other choice.

Well, if the endless supply of soldiers got off the boat at Ellis Island for the Civil War or War Between the States (pick one) it was almost 3 decades too late and a little early for the Spanish American War of 1898. Immigration facilities didn't open at Ellis until 1892.

Sidelock
Sidelock

the boys of '61 were not fresh off any boat from europe...they were, for the most part, young men and boys born on the farms and and in the small towns that was the united states, at the time...most of them had never been more than 20 miles from home...

why then, were they so eager to volunteer, by the 100's of thousands to go off to war to kill their fellow countrymen?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good

why then, were they so eager to volunteer, by the 100's of thousands to go off to war to kill their fellow countrymen?

I don't know exactly why.
What I do know from wars the boys in my country went off to fight is this.
Economics. They were at home on the farm with three or four or more of them together on the home lot. he farm could not support all of them & they were living in poverty. They had to go into the big world sometime soon & the army gave them the opportunity of pay, food, housing, adventure, camaraderie & maybe a future.
The biggest employer at the time, just sign up & the army looks after the rest of it, easy.

They were fed a line by the recruiters & knew no different & good old Dad wanting to be shot of some of this fast maturing boisterous mob, encouraged them in what the whole community was led to believe was a good cause. In a lot of cases the ones who chose not to go were sent a white feather & that shame was never lived down.

Could this apply there ?

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

In wartime there is a habit of naming the enemy in a way that they are dehumanized.
So a Reb is not a fellow countryman any more than a Gook, Jap, or Sand-unmentionable.
Why, hell boy, they's the enemy !

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a steady flow of immigrants fighting for the North not necessarily by choice in the cival war...

You want a blue ribbon lAw dog spOt for catching a technicality on the island ?

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My great-great grandfather came in from Belfast, through NYC, settled in Savannah, fought for the south and spent part of the war at a POW camp at Fort Delaware, Delaware. No award necessary, Sponge Frank Square Load. Just stating fact not fiction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess that kind a proves my point about imigrants being thrown into the cival war when they got here...

Page 20 of 23 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.