May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (FlyChamps), 293 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
There's some things better left untold...

Shooting into a covey of quail on the ground is one of them.

Funny how you pick and choose the things you think are shameful. Shooting into a covey of birds on the ground was no more illegal than your killing five turkeys in one day was ............. and no more unethical, either. You were so proud of it that you took pictures and posted them on the internet. The job of providing meat for the table was a whole lot harder in the 1920s than it was when you were on your turkey killing spree.

Meat hunters are meat hunters .................and game hogs are game hogs. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 03/10/19 03:23 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

So you equate me killing 5 turkeys in a day of hunting to your grand pappy shooting into a covey of quail sitting on the ground....

Best fry you up another jOe'ja tOad'e frOg.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let us see into your mind. Pray tell us how you see the killing of five turkeys, legally, in a day, as being higher ethically than the killing of 13 quail out of a covey for meat, legally, shooting some of them on the ground, in the 1920s.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just remember Stan you asked.....

What I did ethically and legally in a days hunt has little to do with the unethical and despicable thing your grandaddy did shooting into a covey of quail on the ground.

I'm a turkey hunter I don't hunt with decoys or blinds....I don't shoot turkeys off the roost or over bait. Nor would I ever shoot into a flock of turkeys.

Over the course of a day I shot each turkey individually on two different winter breaks with my turkey dog....fact is I had one get away I shot with the old Scott sidelock on the first set or I would have killed 6 that day and on the second break I could've killed the 6th turkey but chose not two. TWRA game and fish set the limits not me...because I tried to fill the bag limit doesn't make me a game hog.

Fact is any kind of hunting is better with a dog.

Fact is if you can't see what he did was despicable in any upland hunters eyes I can't make you see it....

Times were hard for some back then for sure my mom and dad said they never knew there was a depression....evidently he wasn't starving or too depressed if he had been he couldn't have afforded to purchase the supposed 6 or 7 seven shotgun shells to kill a meal of quail.

7 quail covey shot on the ground and 6 in the air with his trusty 97 Winchester was quite the feat....a regular Herb Parsons feat.

Did he drive a Winchester car ?

You want to brag...next time brag about something believable instead of an embellished excuse for shooting 13 of quail on the ground.

Just my observation...

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just remember Stan you asked.....

What I did ethically and legally in a days hunt has little to do with the unethical and despicable thing your grandaddy did shooting into a covey of quail on the ground.

I'm a turkey hunter I don't hunt with decoys or blinds....I don't shoot turkeys off the roost or over bait. Nor would I ever shoot into a flock of turkeys.

Over the course of a day I shot each turkey individually on two different winter breaks with my turkey dog....fact is I had one get away I shot with the old Scott sidelock on the first set or I would have killed 6 that day and on the second break I could've killed the 6th turkey but chose not two. TWRA game and fish set the limits not me...because I tried to fill the bag limit doesn't make me a game hog.

Fact is any kind of hunting is better with a dog.

Fact is if you can't see what he did was despicable in any upland hunters eyes I can't make you see it....

Times were hard for some back then for sure my mom and dad said they never knew there was a depression....evidently he wasn't starving or too depressed if he had been he couldn't have afforded to purchase the supposed 6 or 7 seven shotgun shells to kill a meal of quail.

7 quail covey shot on the ground and 6 in the air with his trusty 97 Winchester was quite the feat....a regular Herb Parsons feat.

Did he drive a Winchester car ?

You want to brag...next time brag about something believable instead of an embellished excuse for shooting 13 of quail on the ground.

Just my observation...

Despicable, for sure. But not what someone said someone did 100 years ago, but the attack on it by Frank is despicable. Stan shared what someone told him about his grandfather and the third party may or may not have been there. The story wasn't retold by an old man to Stan to make him feel ashamed about his grandfather. It's obvious that the third party was only trying to remind him of his grandfather, someone who had a great impact on who Stan is today. Yet, Frank wants to pick, pick away at Stan about his grandfather. He couldn't let it just sit there without picking away. He wants Stan to acknowledge shame about what his grandfather did. What kind of man would do this about another forum member's beloved grandfather?
"My bet is that he shot all the birds on the ground" in an earlier thread comment is what Frank feels compelled to say as if he was there or knew Stan's grandfather. Now it's become Stan's grandfather shot them all on the ground. Frank, the Frank, we know from how he is here, often acts like a petty child with a clumsy cruel streak. It's before us all and it has been for years. If it's legal, then its ethical according to him, as to his shooting 5 turkeys in a day. Well, that's not how he feels about what others shoot at turkeys even if it's legal. Don't think for a minute that this attack is about Stan's grandfather's shooting quail on the ground. Frank always has an agenda behind his attacks and it's not his sanctimonious holier than though ethics attitude displayed here about the acts of a man who has been dead for close to half a century with the alleged acts 100 years ago. It's about a brewing perceived slight, a perceived "disrespect" that he feels Stan did to him in an earlier thread and only Frank knows what that was. There is no forgive and forget with him. I know exactly when his perceived "slight" was with me. I made efforts to apologize and make nice and deleted the comment. It was a wasted effort. He took it as weakness. Since then, it's been a pick, pick, pick away. More than one person here has occupied the space Stan sits currently with Frank, and the list is longer than his arm. He claims every thread ends with a "grandpappy" story. Obvious exaggeration, but it's no exaggeration to state that at least 4 recent threads have been locked or had comments removed because of what Frank said: pick, pick, pick away with each pick a little deeper. There's a good reason this is the only forum he visits, but don't believe for one second it's his choice. He can't go anywhere else where guns and turkeys are discussed. His story is out there, easy to find, and it doesn't end with a "grandpappy" story.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
An old friend, and hunting buddy of my Grandad's, told me of an incident, after Grandaddy died. Grandaddy shot a '97 pump back then. The dogs pointed on his side of an old house spot. Grandaddy saw the covey on the ground and shot into them, killing seven with the shot. He then killed six more as they got up, with the remaining six shells.

Those were the meat hunting days, and Grandaddy said he would sometimes kill 50 in a day's hunting. Different times, different circumstances. Probably killed way over half the covey with that one rise. Kinda sad to think about today.

SRH

I would never have repeated that story...

The seven on the ground is believable not sure about six more on the rise.

Getting a little grandpa deep don't ya think.

Just saying.

Here ya go spOrt here's my reply...that was all that I had to say about it.

Stan came back and showed his azz as usual.

Then GLS came singing back up for him....you think people don't see how your little group tries to run rough shod over peoples threads.

Like I said it's not something someone should be bragging about.

And no amount of whining by GLS is going to make it right or make it sound sporting.

JusT call them like I see them "spOrt"

Ps...or maybe I should call you spOt.

Since you think you're his guard dog.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me, I don't have any ground-swatting stories from my Grandfather. He was a bird hunter and responsible for my love of the outdoors and sporting life as well as my own spotty regard for sporting ethics.

Far as I know he always shot'em flying. I know once when I was tagging along with my single-shot .410 a bird lit in a pine tree on a covey rise. He said shoot it out of the tree, and I threw a rock at it and then missed it flying off. He said I should of taken the limb shot, but he was glad I didn't.

One thing needs to be clear in this discussion. Judging something that happened in another, different time by today's standards is stupid. An old lady named Barber owned the old public pool in my hometown. Her father back in the '30s, 40's and early 50's charged admission to swim there. I swam a lot there as a kid.

He had a "whites only" policy which was the community standard back then. He could not have run the business any other way.

Anyhow, when his daughter died she had no heirs and left the pool in her Will to the city. The city opened a park and called it by its old name Barber Pool Park.

After a few years, times had changed and activists made a big deal out of having a park named for a 'racist'. Naturally, the city renamed the park for some black hollywood actor who didn't even grow up here. The point is the city applied current racial attitudes to something that was perfectly normal for an earlier time.

I drew a great number of similar Last Will and Testaments for old ladies after that. Some wanted to donate property to the city. I never drew another Will that made a public donation without it having a reversion clause in it to make the property go back to the testator's heirs in the event the city changed the name or used it for any purpose other than what was specified in the Will.

There's a city park and a school here in town named after my family. I sometimes wonder how long that will last...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. George I get your point...Sorry but I don't agree with it being normal practice of the day.

I didn't think I did near as much judging as they did justifying.

Until they pressed me.

Not much doubt in my mind when your grandfather told you to shoot that bird off the limb he was running a test on you...you passed.
He most likely knew you would.

I've ran similar tests on people I've taken fall turkey hunting with my dog some passed some failed.

Great story nothing braggadocios or unbelievable in it at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skill with a shotgun---"always shoot 'em on the wing"---is an affectation. Bringing meat home at another time was a necessity.

I lived in a fishing village of subsistence living. An orange in a stocking was a big treat at Christmas. Judging by today's values is wearisome.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Not much doubt in my mind when your grandfather told you to shoot that bird off the limb he was running a test on you...you passed.
He most likely knew you would."

Quite likely I was a better kid than I am the adult I grew up to be...Geo

Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.