Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23
Sidelock
Sidelock

He then killed six more as they got up, with the remaining six shells.

Stan,
Did your grandpa have an extended magazine on that Winchester (presumably?) 97? I never saw one that held 7 rounds??

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I'd be careful referring to others as "yankee sports" if'n I was shooting a small bore Yiltz shotgun at turkeys...

Just saying spOrt.

Someone remind me in the future if Mr. Manners should ever ask me a question not to bother responding. It ain't worth the effort and it's pointless to be polite. I knew there was a good reason to keep him on ignore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno Perry. I never saw it. He was shooting a Rem. M11 16 ga. by the time I came along. That's just what Mr. Starr Smith told me. He coulda' shot it empty and thrown one in the chamber, I guess. In hindsight, Mr. Starr might not have said anything about "the remaining six shells". Been a long time ago. I'm sure about the 13 birds number, though.

I thought '97s held one in the chamber and 6 in the tube. But, I've never owned one.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What year did this guiding take place ?

Just before the war. He guided for the Coleman Hotel, which became a resort and now is a restaurant. The hotel supplied the dogs and had access to the land. Often the sports would bring their own dogs. Back then it was all about the coveyrise and singles weren't normally pursued. He was 13 when he started guiding and bought the Ithaca when he was 17. It had to be one of the earliest models as the 16 wasn't introduced until 1938 and had the cigar shaped forend. Jerry said he hunted with the old Ithaca up until he couldn't hunt any more. Jerry remembers him shooting it faster on target than folks shooting autos. He'd bring home more money guiding than his dad did at the sawmill and following a mule pulling a plow. He also had a lot more fun. Jerry was supposed to inherit the gun but Hugh sold it for $40 and the kid who bought it shot it after it got plugged with mud. Jerry is still sick about it. He learned how to shoot on it after graduating from a .410. Aside from making money, one of the Yankees taught Jerry's dad how to use a fly rod. He never fished anything but a fly rod with live bait or poppers for red breasts and bream. He was a character for sure. He's been gone for 10 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam
He then killed six more as they got up, with the remaining six shells.

Stan,
Did your grandpa have an extended magazine on that Winchester (presumably?) 97? I never saw one that held 7 rounds??

Perry I bet he had 2" shells...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
I'd be careful referring to others as "yankee sports" if'n I was shooting a small bore Yiltz shotgun at turkeys...

Just saying spOrt.

Someone remind me in the future if Mr. Manners should ever ask me a question not to bother responding. I knew there was a good reason to keep him on ignore.

Make my day

Ignore me spOrt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS

Aside from making money, one of the Yankees taught Jerry's dad how to use a fly rod. He never fished anything but a fly rod with live bait or poppers for red breasts and bream.

How much teaching you figure it took to teach a southern boy how to dunk a cricket with a fly rod ?

Just curious spOrt...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Neither do I. I know one in the chamber but I am only familiar with 4 more normally. It doesn't matter because I am not doubting your grandfather or the individual who told you. As for shooting into a covey, well back then that was pretty much the order of the day and with wide open choked guns I don't doubt the number killed. Additionally, having seen an old man I knew when I was young kill quail on the rise with a .22 I am not doubting what anyone says. Those old guys hunted for food or money, so I am guessing that they became pretty good shots!!

Joe, after all the other 8 pages on these 2 inch shells I had to laugh at your comment!! It was funny and almost had me wishing I had said it!!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

My money is on 13 shot on the ground...

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Win model 1897/97 had a 5 round magazine plus one in the chamber for a total of 6 shots, Except, the Brush & Riot models with their shorter barrels also had a shorter magazine, though not sure how much, likely that's where the 4 round magazine came from.
"IF" it would hold 5 roll crimp 2 3/4" shells it may be possible it would have accepted 6,
2 5/8 fold crimp shells, though not certain.

Last edited by 2-piper; 03/09/19 10:45 PM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.