March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted;
Like you, I have only owned one 336 & it too was inherited, in this case from my Brother-in-Law. It is a late enough gun it has the cross bolt safety. It is in .35 Rem & I have shot it, though I don't use the safety. I just could not recall for certain when the safety was added. "IF" I were going to let it down from a tree stand "Loaded" via a rope, I would put the safety on though.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Miller,
Suggest you unload it, as well. But, it is your prerogative.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I was taught to always unload before pulling a gun into stand, can't see banning the guns because one guy made a mistake.

I have a 1982 336, no cross block safety, googling shows they started in 1983.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

A loaded gun is dangerous, we got it. It's always easier to blame the inanimate object. Same mindset that blames the gun first instead of the criminal.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a professional debate with a colleague one time about Accidental Discharges. He made the comment, "there are two types of AD's, those that had them and those that will."

I disagree with this. I believe that AD's are completely preventable through diligence. Complacency is what kills.

As we get older, we tend to think "I have done this a 1,000 times without a problem." Well, yes we have. And you have been fortunate. Now continue to be diligent and check it again before you put the gun in the case or go up into your stand.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its never too early to practice the commandments of good gun safety.. everywhere, be it at home, in the field or at the club or and event. Thanks for that reminder, Ted. The title got my attention. The incident sighted broke those rules. Their reaction by banning hammer guns is frankly nonsensical.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Every AD incident seems to have a human element, or, more accurately, a human failure. This is a guy I grew up with....

I suppose it's a good thing that the article didn't lead with, 'the family wanted everyone to learn that people should give up hunting and sell their guns'. Thanks for the real world firearm handling safety reminder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Years and years ago I was deer hunting with my nephew. He was one of those people that doesn't have any kind of internal compass.
I always had to get him to the spot he was going to hunt and later come back and get him.

We were hunting in an area that I really didn't expect to see anyone else.

Back then I only deer hunted on the ground...sit awhile still hunt awhile.

I dropped him off well before first light a short time later I hear several fast shots from his direction....boom boom.

I quickly went back to check on him.

Whats with all the shooting ?...I didn't shoot...somebody shot...it wasn't me....who the hell was it ?

By then I noticed he was reluctant to talk...I pressed him even more finally.

It was that guy in that tree right over there his gun shot when he was pulling it up...20 yards away was this dam idiOt climbed up this tree. I walked over pissed because he had literally sat on top of my nephew.

I walk over 'whats up buddy...whats with all the shooting....my gun went off when I was pulling it up the tree...yea we all know that then I went on to read him the riot act act about hunting on top of my nephew...

The guy had a Remington 742...rope tied to the trigger guard lucky for this idiOt the gun came up butt first...and fired into the ground.

During hunting season there is a moron entering the woods every few minutes somewhere.

Guns don't cause accidents...people cause accidents.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, was anybody present when this happened?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Ted, was anybody present when this happened?

What are you implying Brent nosleinaD ?

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.