May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (HalfaDouble, Der Ami, Jtplumb, RWG, Ken Nelson), 510 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,832
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned one Mossy'turd pump in my life...

It was one too many.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

He's as full of chit as a Christmas turkey....

"Federal Heavyweight #6 with its 15 gram / cc density is the equivalent of firing lead #2 shot. At 50 yards, Federal Heavyweight #6 has the same retained velocity and the same penetration as #2 lead, with a dramatically higher pellet count: 268 pellets vs. 144 pellets assuming the same 1-5/8 oz. payload. It actually has a higher pellet count than #4 lead, very close to #5 lead, yet with the 50 yard performance of #2 lead."

Only thing the internet Wizard has right are the pellet counts....

How can a lighter weight pellet like Federal Heavyweight #6 started out at less velocity than a heavier lead pellet end up with the same performance at any yardage....

Stupid plain stupid.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
He's as full of chit as a Christmas turkey....

"Federal Heavyweight #6 with its 15 gram / cc density is the equivalent of firing lead #2 shot. At 50 yards, Federal Heavyweight #6 has the same retained velocity and the same penetration as #2 lead, with a dramatically higher pellet count: 268 pellets vs. 144 pellets assuming the same 1-5/8 oz. payload. It actually has a higher pellet count than #4 lead, very close to #5 lead, yet with the 50 yard performance of #2 lead."

Only thing the internet Wizard has right are the pellet counts....

How can a lighter weight pellet like Federal Heavyweight #6 started out at less velocity than a heavier lead pellet end up with the same performance at any yardage....

Stupid plain stupid.

Don't shoot the messenger. Why don't you contact Randy directly and let him know of your concerns:

http://www.randywakeman.com/contact.htm

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

I ain't got time to fool with him...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I ain't got time to fool with him...

You have more time than anyone else on the whole planet. You waste 100% of it right here on this forum.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent nosleinad don't you have a liberal ecology class you need to be teaching....

Dave sent me a PM thanking me for my donation...he tried to refund the .50 cents I donated in your name...something about it being more than you are worth.

Interesting....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Awesome Frank. Glad you let me know. I knew, for absolute fact, you could not resist posting.

You keep sending in money for me. I'll keep billing Dave for your behavior. Obviously, he sure likes you a whole bunch.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not really wanting to get in the middle of a personal argument, BUT, just to lay out a few facts. The ability to maintain velocity & to penetrate, other things being equal, is based on a factor known as the Ballistic Coefficient (BC). The BC is derived from a factor known as Sectional Density (SD) times a form factor, thus if we fired two 30 cal bullets of 150 grains weight with one having a flat point & the other a long nose "Spitzer, the pointed one would retain a higher velocity down range & would also give a deeper penetration. Sectional density is derived from the weight vs the cross-sectional area of the bullet/shot.

In the case of shot pellets, all being round, they have the same form factor so that part of the equation can simply be ignored & it falls to Sectional density only. The weight of a sphere/round ball goes up in proportion the cube of its diameter while area goes up in proportion to its square. Thus the sectional density of the same material is proportional to its diameter. Thus a #2 shot @ 0.150" has a 36% higher sectional density than a #6 @ 0.110".

Lead shot has a density of around 11 gram / CC, don't have exact figures here but pure lead is 11.342. Thus the Heavy shot @ 15 density is 15/11 or
36% higher than the lead.

There are of course other factors involved, the larger diameter will disturb more tissue, cause more severe bleeding & unless extremely hard the lead shot is more likely to flatten a bit on impact giving a better energy transfer even though lessening its penetration a bit.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, thank you for your post and perspective regarding pellet density. The Wakeman article is moot as Federal doesn't use the 15 g/cc any longer but instead uses 18 g/cc effective last year. Browning now offers ammo in 18 g/cc effective this year and Stevens has designed a .410 single-shot, the Stevens 301, using TSS loads. Using KPY Shotgun Ballistic software here is a comparison of chilled lead #4 versus TSS #9 with a muzzle velocity of 1100 fps in each load. The lead load contains 217 #4. Using a gel penetration of 1.5" as a standard, the #4's 1.5" penetration limit is at 59.6 yards. The TSS #9's 1.5" penetration limit is at 58 yards. The 1 5/8 oz load of TSS 9's contains 580 pellets. This load is a common load handloaded for 20 ga. by amateurs for more than a decade in 20 gauge and now by Federal and Browning. Severe bleeding is not the goal in killing a turkey. Shock to the central nervous system (CNS) is the goal by hitting the head and neck, a much narrower target profile than the turkey's body. The difference between chilled lead compared to Nickel plated or 5% antimony alloy is 4 more pellets and 57 yards as the limit for 1.5". The tungsten shot doesn't flatten against a hard surface and bores through. It also tends to shoot tighter than lead regardless of the type of buffer used in the lead loads. Folks can draw their own conclusions as to what this means hunting turkeys. Stevens, Browning and Federal have made their conclusions as well as hundreds of handloaders over the last decade. It's fair to say either load would be devastating inside 50 yards or more if put on target. Gil

Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.