May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (ksauers1, doublenut, AaronN, obsessed-with-doubles, 2 invisible), 347 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,809
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shooting deer at night by spotlight is absolutely legal in GA................ if you have a depredation permit. Been doing it for many years with the game warden's blessing. Ive got his cell phone number, and usually text him and tell him where I'm going to be so the helicopter crew doesn't get all jacked up.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
From a historical perspective, Davis's book is a good book. I have hunted some of the Savannah River areas he mentions in the book. Much of the areas he hunted are now under square miles of man made lakes.
He hunted with rifles and shotguns. One of his favorite shotguns was a Greener. The owner of one of the places Frank has hunted here in Georgia reportedly paid $100,000 for the original manuscript and one of the author's wingbone calls. Gil

He paid $50,000...for the call and manuscript. I warned him before the purchase that from what I had heard I was sure something was fishy. He didn't listen...turns out the diary was public record and anyone could copy it...the call I'm sure belonged to Davis.

The year he bought it...he had his secretary copy the manuscript and send me a copy and when I went hunting that year he handed me the call and said "go kill a turkey ithv it"...which I did.

As far as the Greener he hunted turkeys with...it was made about 1920 with no signs of any wear...I don't recall reading in his hunting diary about him killing a turkey with it maybe he did.
I don't recall many turkeys in the diary...lots of blue whislers and deer hounds...fact after reading the hunting diary I looked at Henry Davis differently.

I found out from the editor of "Garden and Gun" Art Carter that a writer doesn't have to walk the walk only type the hype.

After Arts death my life time subscription to Garden and Gun lasted a couple of years...I started to call and ask them why it stopped coming...but the deal I had made was with a dead man I didn't figure they'd care to hear about it.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The best fishing and hunting has always been in print and we all know of an outdoor sports writer who writes better than he can hunt or fish. One acclaimed "honest" fishing book, Fishless Days, Angling Nights by Sparse Grey Hackle (Allan Miller) has exactly one puny trout caught in the book. A buddy after reading a published account of a trip, remarked that he always wanted the writer to count fish and game because he didn't remember the same numbers and he was on the trip. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's something I was naive about...I always figured if you could write or talk the talk you could walk the walk.

About 25 years ago I met one of the well known turkey hunting writers....I won't call any name because people still see him as an authority on the subject....when I met him I was shocked when handed any type turkey call he was mediocre at best when it came to playing it.

After meeting him I discussed this with Art Carter...his reply was he's a good writer.

It changed my whole perspective on turkey hunting.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Charley Waterman, fishing, Charlie Elliott, hunting, were two writers who could walk their talk. I never met the two gentleman but from all accounts they were good folks. Gil

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A buncha states have different rules. In Va, you can shoot them with a rifle or a shotgun. Lots of folks used to use the Savage model 24 O/U with 22 hornet over a 20 gauge. Good from close and decent out far. Personally, I can't imagine hunting them in the spring with a rifle. However, in my old days I shot a few with a rifle (including a muzzleloader) during the fall. All were gobblers even though hens were legal.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was on a dove hunt in Illinois once where there was a minor outdoor writer also in attendance. He'd brought some kind of .410 and wasn't shy before the hunt bragging about how he was going to shoot a limit with his little gun. It wasn't a good year and the doves were fairly scarce. He ended up with about 6 birds. Then went around and borrowed birds from other hunters so he could take pictures for his article of the 15 bird limit he shot.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun show up yet?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
What difference does it make in the real world if the turkey is shot with a 32 cal muzzle loader or a 32-20 Winchester ?

Most of the rules of this nature were made back in the Days when a muzzle Loader was a True Muzzle Loader not one of these modern abominations shooting sabot bullets etc.
There is a World of difference in the carrying range of a .32 caliber round ball & a .32-20 bullet. These rules were for the most part made due to safety factors.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The gun show up yet?

Best,
Ted

Yes it did, Ted. It's a pretty dang nice little gun. Took it out and touched off a few rounds yesterday. Decided to try some old Rem. 3" 1 1/4 oz. 6's I've had for years. Let's just say recoil is "noticeable".

The piece is well made and has a lot of visual appeal from its "blued steel and walnut" straightforwardness. Excellent satin blued receiver and polished blued barrel that's not too shiny. The contours of the receiver and the little "step" where the forend meets the receiver are nice, along with the very slim and trim forend. I've put a slip-on, lace-up leather pad (one like Stan has shown here before) on to increase l.o.p.

I like it.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 02/24/19 01:58 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.