May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Roundsworth, JBG, Lloyd3, Der Ami, 1 invisible), 258 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,354
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine get a once or twice a year cleaning I use light grease on the bolt rails with a light oiling of the other parts....I do change the recoil spring every few years.
I've never took my SBE's duck hunting so I can't comment on how good a boat paddle they make.

Honestly duck hunting is okay but when I hunt I like it to last over an hour or so...and ducks in standing timber are big targets and easy shots when they're decoying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Where are you to compare apples to apples and look at 20 gauge Winchester Parker repros versus 20 gauge Browning sidelocks
you would see that the Browning side lock sells somewhere between a 25 and 50% premium.

If you're talking 20ga to 20ga, that's true. It's the Repro 28 that brings much bigger bucks. Although I like Repros in general, I'm not a fan of the 20ga. Too heavy. The only reason I have one is because it also has a set of 16ga barrels. As a 20ga, with 26" barrels, it weighs 6/10. Put on the 28" 16ga barrels and it loses a quarter of a pound. On the other hand, the 12's and the 28's--IMO--weigh about what they should.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mr. Larry....

mr.bOb don't like it when people makes him look dumb.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Mr.Ted...don't it just kill you that Larry Brown is smarter than you.

Good lord, Larry, you would actually find it easier to repair a striker in a sidelock that had a hand detachable lock plate, versus one with a screw?

Much easier? Are you sure? Have you done it? It is a piece of cake, assuming you have the RIGHT screwdriver, and, know which end to use.

The process is night and day different between an A&D boxlock and a Holland Pattern sidelock was my point, which, seems to have gone right over your head.

Smallbore Parkers look pregnant to me. They are oddly proportioned. The single triggers are hit or miss on the repros.

I really dont care what the market says.

That said, if jOe comes to visit you in Wisconsin, the cumulative IQ in Wisconsin and Tennessee will both go down.

If you got any, keep him away from your screwdrivers.

Best,
Ted

Well Ted, I have removed the locks from various hand-detachable sidelocks . . . with no tools whatsoever. And not having the right screwdriver means it's always quite possible to bugger a screw. Not a good thing on a relatively expensive gun.

So is it easier on an H&H patent sidelock than on a boxlock with bushings? Not sure about that, if you have the proper tool to remove the bushing. Certainly harder on either a Parker Repro or a Webley & Scott 700 . . . but I had a pair of A&N boxlocks made by Webley with disc-set strikers and the tool to pull the discs . . . and found striker replacement fairly easy.

Comparing prices on 28ga Repros to 20ga BSS Sidelocks simply means there are more people willing to pay more for the Repro. Maybe because it has about a half pound weight advantage over the BSS. Or maybe because for the price of an original Parker 28, you could buy several BSS Sidelocks.

Larry,
If you are uncomfortable with gun screws and gun screwdrivers, admitting it is the first step. Good.
Im not uncomfortable with either.
My point, which you have missed about three times now, is that bushed strikers are far less important on a Holland pattern sidelock, then they are on an A&D boxlock.
Changing strikers in an A&D boxlock, with disc set strikers, assuming you have the tool, or in a Holland pattern sidelock, assuming you can run a screwdriver, competently, is about the same level of difficulty. Not hard.

That would appear to be a hell of an assumption on this board. Dewey was right.

Integral strikers/tumblers, as used on many boxlocks, are a great idea, until they break. Then, you are down. The two broken integral strikers I have been around were both Webleys, by the way. They both broke in the middle of hunting trips.

The post was about the sidelock BSS, and somehow we ended up with a bunch of rot about Parkers, and Parker repros, and what they sell for. Which, is a stupid path to go down, because those guns sell for the money they do based on collector interest. If you want a sidelock action to hunt with, that doesnt break the bank, and has a great reputation, with actual gunsmiths, for being well built and bulletproof, you are going to look hard to find one that beats the BSS, on any criteria save collectibility. Which, may or may not change in the future.

The Spanish guns, have been recognized as a dice roll for a very long time now, at any level. Ive rolled those dice, and didnt lose, but, Im done with that. You arent going to get a Spanish sidelock for a whole lot less than the Browning. But, you might just get internal parts that look like the spring in the blog Dewey posted. Evidence of my point, that is lacking on the Japanese Browning sidelock, by the way.

Nobody with skin in the game feels that it is hit or miss with the BSS sidelock. I guess if I needed a longer LOP or more open chokes, I would do it. I hate altering guns, but, I hate it less than a gun that doesnt fit. But, as it is, I dont have to do either. Having a gun built to fit would cost way more than the Browning, and I can use it as is, thankfully.

I wish you good luck with the Spanish gun. Shoot it in good health. It would seem jOe is over his SXS double phase, the sleevers won.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

You really should get out more mr.Ted...nothing wrong with a properly sleeved gun.

mr.Ted I'm betting you'd shoot better with an O/Ur...but there is the sxs kOol factor to contend with.

I do commend you for stepping up from your Darne shoots gun...you'll look a lot kOoler.

Just saying

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tell us more about the Purdey 10 gauge sleever, that went off face, posthaste, shooting 12 gauge loads in chamber mates, jOe.

I never get tired of hearing that one. Especially the part where you stuck your buddy with it.

I have an O/U, jOe. Have shot it since 1975, if I was going to tear up a sporting clays course with it, Id know it by now.

I still shoot a Darne, jOe. Always have, always will. You can take some solace in the fact it is an actual mono block gun, something every sleever pretends to be.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't recall the Purdey going off face nor did I stick anyone with it.
I did have a 10ga. Scott hammer gun that went off face.

mr.Ted it's evident to me that you've let hateful yelousy
over take yer senses.

Example yer jealous of mr. Larry because he's smarter when it comes to guns than you are...you're jealous of the Purdey I owned. It's been stuck in your brain for 10 years.

mr.Ted did you miss the part in the Bible about not coveting thy neighbor ?

Just saying...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone is coveting a Purdey that has the word Sleeved stamped into the side of the breech end jOe.

Everyone.

Larry seems to have fessed up to having trouble with screws. Heros are where you find em, glad you have a new one. Pretty sure he doesnt have an SBE, you will have to reckon with that.

You have got me all wrong,
I covet nothing, need to move some stuff, as a matter of fact. Want an SBE? Buy it now price $1700 for you. $750 to anyone else. $20 to Dave when you pony up.
Maybe you can talk Larry into buying it for you.

You have a lot of things all wrong.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, my point about removing screws apparently is escaping you. Not a good idea to pull one of the couple screwdrivers I have out of my vehicle tool kit and go to work on a nice shotgun. You need the RIGHT screwdriver . . . and while I've got them at home, I don't carry them with me on a hunting trip. I did carry the tool to remove the bushings on my A&N (Webley & Scott) pair. It stayed right in the original motor case in which they resided, along with replacement strikers. But with a hand detachable sidelock, you don't need a screwdriver at all.

And if someone told you that Parker Repros sell for what they do based on their collectible value, they're pulling your leg. An original Parker 28 in almost any kind of shape, or any high grade original Parker, or even a Trojan or a VH that's in unusually good condition--yes. Repro--no, unless it's either unfired or one of the higher grade guns. The Repro 28's bring the money they do because original 28's bring ridiculous prices, and because they're darned nice hunting guns. Based on the number produced, a BSS Sidelock--especially in 20ga--ought to have far more collector value. But they're both Japanese guns--which don't tend to cause significant heart throbbing on the part of American collectors. Even though American hunters recognize them as darned good field guns. I've owned several Repro 28's loved to tote them around, have put quite a few rounds through them after grouse, woodcock, and quail. But I've since moved in the direction of light 20's, and Repro 20's ain't light.

And I got the Spanish sidelock for $1500 less than your average 20ga BSS Sidelock sells for. Orvis marketed the gun, and Grulla made it. Both give me a certain amount of confidence--as does the fact that I've had the locks off (without a screwdriver) and taken a look at the internals.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
I have a spare striker and spring for the BSS. Why would I not carry the correct screw driver on a hunting trip, after going to the effort to procure that, and put in in the case with the gun?

If a Parker repro 28 brings the money they do because the originals bring a ton more, doesnt that validate the fact that collector demand is driving that market, not to mention, my point about same?

Best,
Ted

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.