May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (KDGJ, Jusanothajoe, bushveld, PM, 2 invisible), 375 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,802
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yea...but can you tote a combination gun turkey hunting ?

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, the rules in Georgia on private land would permit use of air dropped napalm on wild hogs. Anything goes; anytime; night or day. On National Forest Lands outside of WMA's:

"Hogs may be taken with archery equipment during archery deer season, with deer weapons during firearms deer season, with turkey weapons during turkey season and with small game weapons during small game season. No night hunting. No hunting over bait. Hunting license requirements must be met. Hunter orange is required during firearms and primitive weapons deer seasons"

The nearby military reservation, Fort Stewart, expressly forbids hog hunting during turkey season. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Problem is counselor that is not a legal turkey weapon...

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's the Georgia law on weapons used for turkey hunting. As I stated on the preceding page, I wouldn't want to have to explain the hybrid nature of a Cape Gun to a game warden in light of:
"It shall be unlawful to hunt turkey with any weapons except shotguns using No. 2 shot or smaller, muzzleloading firearms, longbows, crossbows, recurve bows, or compound bows. Any person taking turkey in violation of this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished as for a misdemeanor, except that a fine imposed for such violation shall not be less than $250.00;"

Sidelock
Sidelock

There you go counselor...

Guilty pay the fine.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how a game warden would react to a Cape Gun. I know game wardens who will charge hunting from a road (illegal in Ga.) if one is walking down a road with a loaded shotgun. Not so if it is unloaded. There could be an argument that unless one is in possession of the rifle ammo while turkey hunting, it is not hunting to have the gun if one is only in possession of shotgun ammo. I don't have a Cape gun so I am not faced with the dilemma. I've run into a Georgia State Patrolman (who by the way made turkey calls for sale on the side) who hunted turkeys with the Savage Turkey gun, the O/U with shotgun barrel on top, rifle on the bottom. He made a point of saying he didn't have the rifle ammo while hunting turkeys. Knowing Geo, he isn't going to hunt or shoot turkeys with a rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an O/U, 12 gauge over .222 Rem, made in Finland for Ithaca called the "Ithaca Turkey Gun". It was a very nice gun. For turkeys you had to load the .222 Rem down to 22 Hornet velocities or the turkey would be torn up.
Jim

NRA Life Member
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The classic turkey rifle was the Win. M70 22 Hornet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
There you go counselor...

Guilty pay the fine.

Not so fast.

I'll figure this one out over the next few weeks. With waterfowl lead shot in possession is a no, no.

However, the turkey firearm rule specifically makes "taking" a bird illegal. I suspect that if I keep my .43 Mauser rifle bullet in my pocket I'm ok. So long as I don't shoot a bird with the rifle, I think I may be OK even with the bullet in the gun.

I'd rather have a ruling from the DNR in my pocket than argue with a GW though. I've actually never been checked while turkey hunting with my Sauer combination gun...Geo

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to argue Gil but I think an Alex Henry double is as classic as it gets for turkey rifles

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.