May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (R Reynolds, obsessed-with-doubles, 1 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,514
Posts545,671
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I highly recommend the 6" flexible scale method. You cannot accurately "Feel" the start of a normal cone, but you can hold the barrels up to a light source, not overly bright though, & looking through the bore measure to the shadow line keeping the scale along the inner wall & where you can see it.

For those unaccustomed to using these handy little measuring "sticks", there is nothing special about the fact that it is flexible, for measuring chamber lengths. That is just a common way of referring to the little stainless steel measuring scales. Flexibility in it is not a requirement for measuring chamber lengths.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are absolutely correct Stan.
I refer to them that way because as long as I am in my everyday clothes & not my "Sunday go-to Meeting" duds I have a 6" flexible Machinist scale stuck in my left front shirt pocket. Actually, the one I am carrying at present is not of Machinist quality, but a General brand I picked up at Home Depot. It's plenty good enough to measure chamber lengths.

When I was actively employed as a Machinist it was always a Starrett with 16R graduations. One side was graduated in 32nds & 64ths with the other side having 50ths & 100rds. This General only has 32nds & 64ths with back side having a decimal equivalent chart. Browne & Sharpe was generally my preferred brand but for some reason, they did not offer this 16R graduation on their scales so I chose the Starrett.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chamber length is pretty much a moot point in this case. 2 3/4" chamber length would not, I repeat, not, be license to put normal/common OTC loads through it. ON the other hand, 2 1/2" chamber does not preclude the use of properly assembled lighter shot loads at lower velocities with lower chamber pressure in 2 3/4" cases. RST et al probably have loads suitable for this gun.

Consider this gun an elderly gentleman due your respect. 3/4 oz loads work hunkey-dorey in 12 bore guns; I see no reason to believe they would not be a good starting point for an 1150 fps load with 7000 psi chamber pressure.

Just for grins, BV2-OQ7-CC6 = $1031. If there are no unseen/undescribed/unidentified "warts" this looks like a pretty good deal.

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 02/19/19 11:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Understand your point, Don. But, since the OP asked for info on how to determine chamber length I (we) was addressing that particular query.

Did you not mean to say, in your last sentence, "they would not be a good starting point" ?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Understand your point, Don. But, since the OP asked for info on how to determine chamber length I (we) was addressing that particular query.

Agree you all fully answered the OP's question.
I was only concerned the OP might assume 2 3/4" chambers were automatically OK for modern shells.

Did you not mean to say, in your last sentence, "they would not be a good starting point" ?

Yes I did and have made said edit. Thanks for the eagle eye.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does it state a shot load ? 1&1/8oz =2&1/2" .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny. Miller carries a 6" machinist scale from the days of his employment. I do too. My employment was lawyering and I needed the scale daily to accurately interpret land surveys and building plans. I still have mine as well, but thankfully use it now for chamber measuring...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I own myself a 16 gauge Greener,the ideal Grouse gun, 26" barrels 5 3/4 lb., made in 1897. I bought it at Safari Outfitters decades and decades ago, and I've shot high brass loads through it without any problem. Except from recoil, it's a light gun and kicks your arm off with heavy loads.

16 gauge Greener

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rocketman,

Have you ever read that series of articles in DGJ in which Sherman Bell tested a large number of Damascus-barrel shotguns with heavy loads and even with overloads?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to everyone, btw, for the information and replies.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.