April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (mark, SKB, ithaca1, playing hooky, 2 invisible), 851 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,273
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DmColonial
But it is "Double Gun Shop" isn't it???

No it's KY's JUnky Gun Shop....

A place to talk about yer prized Mossy'turd pump gun or your fabulous single shot shoot gun.

Ps...as soon as I get out in my shop I'll show you my Broomhandle Mauser.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: DmColonial
But it is "Double Gun Shop" isn't it???

No it's KY's JUnky Gun Shop....

A place to talk about yer prized Mossy'turd pump gun or your fabulous single shot shoot gun.

Ps...as soon as I get out in my shop I'll show you my Broomhandle Mauser.

Lighten up Joe,
Not all of us were fortunate to start our hunting with a fine double. Most of us held on to our first gun in hopes of passing it on to a son/daughter or granddaughter/grandson. Step outside if you need fresh air.
Stanley

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

95% of double design was worked out and perfected by our British cousins. The contributions by American gun designers could all be fit into a hat. Once you become a mature design field you change over into just duplicating what you did before. Doubles are durable goods and without new features there is little demand for new versions of guns you already own. And our forefathers were practical men who were content with one shotgun for everything and perhaps a .22 rifle and one larger deer type rifle. Perhaps just one shotgun.

In many ways the pump gun was the American shotgun that we created and then perfected. To an extent the semi auto was just an off shoot of this same line. Both of them lasted after they replaced doubles and some are still being made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

.040 is certainly on the tight side for 20ga full choke. And standard constrictions, with modern shotshell technology, are certainly more open than they used to be. Jack O'Connor's "Shotgun Book" (1965 edition--just as shotshells were coming into the "modern" era) lists the following constrictions for 20ga full: Winchester, .027; Remington, .029; Browning (always seemed tight in the old Belgian guns), .033. Two current charts I have show .026 (Stan Baker) and .025 (Mike Orlen). So, with the exception of Browning, we were already pretty close to "modern" choke constrictions over 50 years ago.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.