April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (buckstix, Southern Sport, RWG, 2 invisible), 215 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,056
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend of mine picked up a decent 12 gauge Greener with 26" barrels at a local gun show for $400. Apparently, somebody had just sold it to the seller for $250. Odd things happen I guess. Greeners seem to go for somewhat higher prices on Guns International, I've noticed.

It has older British proofs and the flats say "Not for ball," but there is apparently no mention of the chambering. Is there any way to tell without access to a gunsmith?

He sent me this photo:

Sidelock
Sidelock

QUICK way, roll up a 3x5 index card and insert into the chamber, see how far it sides in with out due force.

Second way is to use a chamber gauge

Third way is to check the proof marks more closely and then assume it
is 2 1/2 " chamber or even 2 " chamber

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 02/19/19 01:16 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not scientific at all, but I have used a fired 2 3/4 shell as a proxy for a chamber gauge on suspected 2 1/2 inch guns. On the guns that I had "tested", that appeared to indicate original 2 1/2 chambering.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can just stock a tape measure straight in against the wall until it hits the front. Note the measurement as where is comes to the inner lip where the shell brass rests.

Where you really need a gauge is in checking chokes.

- NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

A chamber gauge does come in pretty handy. Not very expensive.
But in the case of that Greener . . . being marked "not for ball", that would make it a 19th century gun. Too old to have the chamber length stamped as one of the official proofmarks. (That didn't happen until 1925.) But on a gun that old, the gun would almost certainly have left the factory with 2 1/2" chambers . . . although there's always a possibility, on older guns you find here in the States, that they have been lengthened to 2 3/4". 2" wouldn't be possible. The 2" 12 came along later, well into the 20th century.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just answered this same question in the current "Chamber Length" thread, and explained why I much prefer Miller's oft recommended use of a simple inexpensive 6" machinists scale over 3" x 5" cards, fancy brass tapered chamber gauges, or fired shells. You can read that reply in my post here:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=538330#Post538330

As you can see from this illustration of a 12 gauge chamber, the length of the chamber is from the breech end to the transition where the forcing cone begins:

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also look for the specific words stamped on the barrel flats,
NITRO PROOF.
If not there then it is a black powder gun & will have the crossed halberds mark in conjunction with the not for ball. Not for ball indicates a black powder proof unless the gun was reproofed & re stamped accordingly.

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's definitely and older Greener. You need to have the chambers and barrel wall thickness measured properly. Then use loads appropriate for a gun of that vintage. Don't half ass it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A 6" machinists scale works as reliably as anything I have found. It is repeatable. Been using that method for many years.

Good reminder on having the BWT measured, tho'.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whether it is "Nominal" 2½" or 2 3/4" actually has little to do with its age or whether it has only black or smokeless proof as well. Many nominal 2½" British guns, in reality, had either 2 9/16 (65mm) or 2 5/8" (67mm) chambers. What actually determined the chamber length was the gun's intended purpose. Game Guns normally had the short chambers, with Pigeon or waterfowl having longer chambers, up to as long as 3¼" (82.5mm). I recall Nash Buckingham mentioning using a Greener hammer gun of his father's back in the 1880s which had 3¼" chambers.

Larry was correct that the chamber length was not marked at that point. Measuring it will tell you what it has "Now". If the gun weighs in less than
7 lbs the odds are it started life with the shorter chambers even if they are longer now. I don't recall for certain when the 2" chamber was introduced, but don't think it goes back far enough to have been used in a gun stamped "Not For Ball".

I highly recommend the 6" flexible scale method. You cannot accurately "Feel" the start of a normal cone, but you can hold the barrels up to a light source, not overly bright though, & looking through the bore measure to the shadow line keeping the scale along the inner wall & where you can see it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.