March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fullandfuller, Lloyd3, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 305 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunmaker
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I'd ship it in a one piece cheap plastic Walmart gun case taped shut then bubble wrapped inside a larger cardboard box.

You ship a gun in two pieces inside the same container you could be asking for trouble.

Actually the opposite is true. Shipping a gun assembled in one piece in a cheap plastic case is the best way of getting the stock cracked. Seen it numerous times. The case gets bent, and the stock is the first to give. Putting a 2x4 in the box with the case will prevent that.

I still takedown every gun I ship if possible and ensure they are separated well.

You have to put it in a stout bigger box with about 3 or 4 inches of clearance all the way around.
Guy shipped me a Fox 20 ga. on trade ....he shipped it in two pieces with each piece bubble wrapped...when it got here it had a massive dent in one barrel where the contents had shifted.

Needless to say it went back faster than it came.

A while back I shipped a 32" Winchester unsingle in one piece inside a cheap plastic gun box bubble wrapped inside a bigger box. I've shipped several shotguns in one piece without any problems....but I do have common sense when it comes to things like shipping.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

well thanks for your input lads,
I guess I'll just have to do what I think is best
cheers
franc

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I ship barrels in a 32" long, 3.5", OD .25" wall thickness PVC pipe capped at both ends with one end glued in place, the other taped. Barrels are wrapped in cloth. The outgoing address was originally written in indelible Sharpie on the outside with a layer of clear tape over the ink. On one occasion it went inside a box with the stock bubble wrapped. The pipe has been shipped so many times back and forth with shipping labels taped over that it brings to my mind one of those Victorian era steamer trunks plastered with shipping labels. Gil
P.S. Then there's the story of canvasback receiving an assembled gun in a box from France without a stitch of cushioning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, I received a I. Hollis gun, from McDonald's Gunshop in Australia, many years ago in a cardboard box with nothing else but newspaper wrapping for the components.

Perfect condition. Go figure.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
many years ago
SRH

There it is.

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
Originally Posted By: Stan
many years ago
SRH

There it is.

O.M

Quite possibly. grin

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I ship quite a few guns and have had good luck with the method I have developed. I break down the gun and put the 4end back on the barrels. I have had felt sleeves made for the 2 halves . Each half goes in a felt sleeve and is wrapped with stretch wrap. Then each half is wrapped in foam padding and secured with stretch wrap. Then the two half are secured together with stretch wrap. This is the placed in a 6x6x36 double wall carton with bubble wrap to take up any remaining space. The result is 2 parts enclosed securely that cant move or come in contact with each other inside a rigid carton that does not look like a gun.

I don't want the carriers to take this as a challenge but so far this has worked with lots of guns getting to the destination without damage. The moral of the story is over packing is your best insurance.

Hammerguns need special attention to ensure the hammers are protected .

I used to use Plano take down cases inside a carton and had good luck with them as well but the expense and space they take up got to be too much

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes I think jOe got it almost right. I ship my guns broken down and bubble wrapped in a Benelli take down case and wrapped again in an outer package. Not sure that intact or broken down is significant but the length of an intact gun makes me uncomfortable. Have sent guns all over the US and Canada and so far no problems what so ever. I do prefer the public mailing companies over the private ones.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here’s what may happen when a gun is shipped put together. A fabulous 16 gauge George Abbey hammergun with a rising bite action and a Purdey style thumb lever. Seller sent during the Christmas holiday in a very strong cardboard box and in crushable foam. But UPS managed to bend the long box and presto! a three piece gun!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
I ship barrels in a 32" long, 3.5", OD .25" wall thickness PVC pipe capped at both ends with one end glued in place, the other taped. Barrels are wrapped in cloth. The outgoing address was originally written in indelible Sharpie on the outside with a layer of clear tape over the ink. On one occasion it went inside a box with the stock bubble wrapped. The pipe has been shipped so many times back and forth with shipping labels taped over that it brings to my mind one of those Victorian era steamer trunks plastered with shipping labels. Gil
P.S. Then there's the story of canvasback receiving an assembled gun in a box from France without a stitch of cushioning.

Gil, there were two guns in there but don't remind me. cry

I use the PVC tube for the barrels and forend. The tube goes in a 6x6x36 box along with the stock/receiver. Each component is carefully wrapped in cloth and then bubble wrap and is packed into the tube and the box so that there is zero movement.

The tube not only protects the barrels very effectively but being inside the cardboard box, it lends a significant amount of strength to the box and protects the stock/receiver in that way. I've never had any hint of a problem except the complaints about how hard it is to unpack. LOL Pretty sure those complaints would be worse and more heartfelt if their newly purchased gun was damaged.

BTW, It was PA24 who got me onto the PVC tube idea.

Last edited by canvasback; 02/19/19 11:26 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.