March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Buzz #537942 02/16/19 11:50 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
Perma Wax sounds easy. I need to try it. Hows it better than Renaissance wax?

Perma wax is made by a company that only sells/makes gun related products...I've been using their stains for 20 years.

Renaissance is a curators wax designed to be used in museums. I've used Renaissance on ivory and exotic woods since it became available in the USA. I've used it on vintage guns (metal and wood) in a down pour it seemed like it washed off pretty quick.
I don't believe Renaissance was designed with the outdoorsman in mind.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to wax some of my oil finish guns but I gave up because the few waxes I tried got gummy in hot and humid weather. Dove season in Yuma turned the wax to glue when it was 120 and rainy.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'd be surprised if the out come would be the same with this product.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The original Rain-X contained acidified isopropynol. I've read that the newer version also contains some silicone. I don't think I want either one near my gun stocks. I recall seeing a formula to make a home made version of Rain-X that involved mixing about a teaspoon of either sulphuric or nitric acid with a pint of isopropanol. This wasn't the watered down version you put in your windshield washer reservoir. It was to be wiped on and then buffed off. I think I'll stay with using Rain-X strictly on my windshield.

I've had good luck with Johnson's Paste Wax on my gun stocks, and it sheds water even after hunting all day in steady rain. But this Laurel Mountain Perma Wax sounds interesting. Like jOe says, Laurel Mountain has a full line of gun care and refinishing products, and I have used their Permalyn stock finish. I think jOe mentioned that Johnson's Paste Wax has a stronger smell a few days ago, and might spook some game animals. I don't think the wax smell is near as noticeable as Hoppes No. 9, and have no idea if deer like the smell of the Hoppes as much as I do. I still have about a quart of the old nitrobenzene formula which smells like pure heaven.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #537960 02/17/19 08:19 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What did you think of their Permalyn stock finish ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it and think it has it's place, but it is an oil modified urethane that has a heavy enough viscosity that it will be more appropriate on modern guns than vintage shotguns. There are people who want the stock on a vintage gun to have every pore perfectly filled and as shiny as a new Browning. But that look ain't for me. Of course, it can be thinned to get it to penetrate and seal the stock, and it really does a great job there. I'm pretty sure that the Permalyn sealer is little more than thinned Permalyn.

An "on the surface" oil modified urethane finish is going to be durable and more weather resistant than a traditional oil finish. And I've never seen any complaints about Permalyn failing. These on the surface finishes are more prone to fine scratches over time, but the surface can be rubbed out and repaired with a very thin top coat. I will say that at almost $50.00 a quart, it has certainly gone up in price since I last bought it. But $50.00 a quart is an absolute bargain compared to stuff like the oft recommended Timberluxe. When it comes to that product, I'll simply say there's proof that a fool and his money are soon parted.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #538087 02/18/19 01:10 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You recall the application instructions ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
What did you think of their Permalyn stock finish ?

It is fine on a hard used competition gun. I use it on two of mine. But it is definitely not quite appropriate for a hunting firearm, particularly a vintage gun anyway.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice video...he got the part wrong about Renaissance wax being designed for guns.

It was designed for museums.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.