April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Der Ami, SKB, WBLDon, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 865 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,819
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Would it be criminal to open the chokes a tad? If it is too tight for you, I don't think it is a bad thing to open it up a bit.

Why not make an attempt to improve one's shooting skills to the point that you could utilize the extremely tight choke better, rather than desecrating the choke as originally built?

What have you lost if you don't succeed? Even if you never get to the point that you can utilize .047" choke, you will likely be able to shoot better.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/18/19 08:15 PM. Reason: clarification

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I have a 28" BSS Sidelock that had been opened to IC & Mod before I bought it. I think that decreased the value even though it made the gun more usable for me...Geo

In a sense, it made it MORE valuable to you. But I understand the reluctance to do that. For me, it depends on each gun. Opening up an 8 lb gun to Sk/IC would be hard for me to justify, but a gun as tight as the BSS under consideration, not a problem - for me. I would not view it as a collectible, and it would be a nice upland hunting gun with a bit loser chokes.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

If he opened it a tad he might hit 6 for 6....

Just saying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I have a 28" BSS Sidelock that had been opened to IC & Mod before I bought it. I think that decreased the value even though it made the gun more usable for me...Geo

In a sense, it made it MORE valuable to you...

True that, but it didn't help the market value any, IMHO...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
A spreader disk provided a most wanting extra 2 inches.

A Fiocchi Interceptor will likely open the pattern more than that.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand you Geo. If it was opened to M/F, it would be more valuable to me and I would pay more for it. But to a collector...

Are the constrictions actually stamped on the barrels? How are the chokes listed?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, they have the original M & F stamps. My IC & Mod measurements are from a drop in Galazon gauge, so may not be exact. But the chokes are certainly more open than M & F...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A fairly scarce double with a production total of 1100 guns, 700 12's and 400 20's.
These chokes must be how the Almighty intended them to be. For that reason I shall not alter them.
I consider them to be the "Immaculate Constriction". wink

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Bob,
I'd like to offer my own opinion. Before getting my 12 & 20 BSS-SL's that have 26" barrels choked ic/mod, I bought my first sxs BSS boxlock sporter that was 28' with mod/full chokes. I thought it was a bit tight, but as I continued to shoot sporting clay's with it, I began to see the value in it's choking. Targets that were 30+ yards were no longer "questionably" hit, and I could actually see exactly where the targets were hit making me a somewhat better shooter.
I never considered it a skeet gun, and used it in an appropriated situation. It gave me confidence for Pheasants and suitable prairie game. Grouse and Woodcock get the ic/mod and skt/ic choked guns instead, along with the occasional round of skeet.
I think that you have a great gun for Pheasants and the prairie birds. I'll bet you'll find it perfect for longish SC courses.
Hope this helps,
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
Bob,
I'd like to offer my own opinion. Before getting my 12 & 20 BSS-SL's that have 26" barrels choked ic/mod, I bought my first sxs BSS boxlock sporter that was 28' with mod/full chokes. I thought it was a bit tight, but as I continued to shoot sporting clay's with it, I began to see the value in it's choking. Targets that were 30+ yards were no longer "questionably" hit, and I could actually see exactly where the targets were hit making me a somewhat better shooter.
I never considered it a skeet gun, and used it in an appropriated situation. It gave me confidence for Pheasants and suitable prairie game. Grouse and Woodcock get the ic/mod and skt/ic choked guns instead, along with the occasional round of skeet.
I think that you have a great gun for Pheasants and the prairie birds. I'll bet you'll find it perfect for longish SC courses.
Hope this helps,
Karl

Much wisdom in that post.

SRH

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.