April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Mike Harrell, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 766 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,858
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like FedEx, insured for full amount.

Wrap the barrels/forend and frame/buttstock separately in multiple layers of this:
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/...-cloths/1431741

Ship in this https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Pillared-Ta...KGGDF7P3JHYNJQC
inside the cardboard box in comes in, sprayed over with this to hide all reference to a firearm:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-Flat-Khaki-Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-11-oz/1000459669

Relatively cheap, very effective, and easy.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 02/18/19 04:55 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As others have stated, the package needs to with stand being dropped from 3 feet & crushing.
My experience is that when dropped it lands on a corner, so pay particular attention to corner strength.
The crushing will come from being walked on, so proof for that.
Many is the delivery I get with boot prints on it, corners busted out & speared through with a fork lift tyne.

But worry not.

O.M

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The good news, with Amazon Prime, the case in the below link can be shipped to your house in a cardboard box for about $25. The bad news is that despite a foam lined box, my seller didn't break the gun down and wrap in paper or bubble wrap the stock and barrel separately to prevent shifting. Heavens knows how the USPS did this to the gun in breaking it down into two pieces, but not the two pieces Ithaca intended. The big difference between Priority and Registered is that with Registered, each person in the USPS chain who handles the gun must sign for it. Not so with Priority. I sent a gun off for repair a month ago and the only reason it went Priority instead of Registered is because the clerk couldn't find the ink stamp to mark the taped seams. It got there, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Rimfire-Sporting-Black-Large/dp/B00KJNIY24/ref=sr_1_16?crid=3LTX23WX72TAC&keywords=plano+gun+case&qid=1550527716&s=gateway&sprefix=Plano%2Caps%2C616&sr=8-16

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I'd ship it in a one piece cheap plastic Walmart gun case taped shut then bubble wrapped inside a larger cardboard box.

You ship a gun in two pieces inside the same container you could be asking for trouble.

Actually the opposite is true. Shipping a gun assembled in one piece in a cheap plastic case is the best way of getting the stock cracked. Seen it numerous times. The case gets bent, and the stock is the first to give. Putting a 2x4 in the box with the case will prevent that.

I still takedown every gun I ship if possible and ensure they are separated well.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunmaker
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I'd ship it in a one piece cheap plastic Walmart gun case taped shut then bubble wrapped inside a larger cardboard box.

You ship a gun in two pieces inside the same container you could be asking for trouble.

Actually the opposite is true. Shipping a gun assembled in one piece in a cheap plastic case is the best way of getting the stock cracked. Seen it numerous times. The case gets bent, and the stock is the first to give. Putting a 2x4 in the box with the case will prevent that.

I still takedown every gun I ship if possible and ensure they are separated well.

Yup, exactly. I can't imagine shipping a normal double with the barrels mounted to the receiver.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello jOe
I know you have had some really nicer, and much more expensive guns than mine,a lovely old Scott, & was it a Purdey? but did you just really....

"ship it in a one piece cheap plastic Walmart gun case taped shut then bubble wrapped inside a larger cardboard box
You ship a gun in two pieces inside the same container you could be asking for trouble."

That seems a little cheap even for a gun like mine...now no harm meant, mate, really.
But I'm going for oVerbUilt
cheers
franc

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." Archimedes

"Ship a shotgun assembled and I will break the stock."
Cliff the Mailman. Cheers!

Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

you can get a 4'x 8' x 1" sheet of polystyrene for about $15, its a great deal for packing stuff
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cannot speak for HojOe, but I believe what he told you is correct, due to my past experiences. The last several I have bought have come exactly like he said, and in perfect condition. Sometimes we overthink something. I've accumulated several of those cheap, plastic cases now. And, the next one I ship will be shipped out the same way I have been receiving them. Last one was in one of those cheap, plastic, closed cell eggshell foam cases, with each component separately wrapped in bubble wrap inside it. I don't think you can improve on that.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Long cases beg to be bent into a arch. I received a muzzleloader last year shipped in a long cardboard box. Even though well wrapped in bubble plastic, the box arrived with a bow in it.

The one piece stock was broken clear through out in the 'forend' area. Looked almost like the ends were set on separate stacks and someone heavy used it as a foot log...Geo

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.