April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (Chad Linder, GETTEMANS, 67galaxie, 4 invisible), 209 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,025
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#538076 02/18/19 11:23 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am aware of only 3 reports of U.S. maker's doubles frame composition

Plans & Specifications of the L.C. Smith Shotgun by William S. Brophy contains an undated but likely post-1913 Materials Specification chart indicating AISI 1020 Carbon Steel for both the frame and barrel.

July 1, 1920 American Machinist published an Ordnance Salvage Board Surplus Property Sale of almost 75,000 pounds of Spec. Shape Gun Steel from the A.H. Fox Gun Co. with C .15-.25%, Mn .5-.7% and S & P < .06% = AISI 1020 and likely frame steel
https://books.google.com/books?id=ezRMAQAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA409&lpg

Possibly someone could check The Parker Story to see if there is a report

Winchester Model 21 Proof Steel was reported to be Chrome Molybdenum Nickel AISI 4140 or 4340, but I've not found a published composition analysis

AISI 8620 is a Carbon .18 - .23%, chromium, molybdenum, nickel alloy steel often used for modern shotgun frames, and is easily carburized and machined when annealed

If someone would like to send me a scrap U.S. maker's frame, I'd be happy to zap it via Optical Emission Spectroscopy (OES) for confirmation

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew;
4140 & 4340 are classified as Low Alloy Steels. 4140 is a Chrome Moly steel while 4340 is chrome-nickel-moly steel. Compositions are as follows, from Machinery's Handbook.
4140 = Carbon (C) 0.38-0.43, Manganese (Mn) 0.75-.1.0, Chromium (Cr) 0.8-1.1, Moly (Mo) 0.15-0.25
4340 = C 0.38-0.43, Mn 0.6-0.8, Nickel (Ni) 1.65-2.0, Cr 0.7-0.9, Mo 0.2-0.3

In my machine shop days, I machined a trainload of 4340 but very little 4140. Did do a lot of 4130 though. The two 40 point carbon alloys were oil hardening while the 30 point one was water hardening. Oil would simply not quench the 4130 fast enough for it to reach maximum hardness. In heat treating these alloys even if maximum hardness was not desired, they still had better properties if fully hardened & then drawn /tempered to desired hardness, than if not fully hardened, to begin with.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Carbon, Manganese, Sulpher and ??-- Not a metallurgist by any means, just wondering. If you'll pay the shipping cost from MI to AZ- I'll send you a "boat anchor" 1903 era 12 gauge R frame receiver OO grade- I also have the parts intact from same: bolt, coupler, top lever,

WPS, as found on my M21 and most of my M12's-- nickle based, chrome moly- most likely 4140-- But why do the bottom of the early M21 receivers turn a brownish hue and years of field usage, but the barrels, etc. retain most of their rust bluing?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't notice any "browness" in 2 of my M21's made in 1935.
Jim

NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

If someone would like to send me a scrap U.S. maker's frame, I'd be happy to zap it via Optical Emission Spectroscopy (OES) for confirmation

Sending a scrap frame or action that is made post-1899 without an FFL transfer would be a felony unless it is flame cut or otherwise rendered totally unusable.

However, actual metallurgical analysis by a competent Met Lab, of a statistically significant number of frames would be the only way to determine if a gun such as a Tobin, or Worthington, or Crescent might have used an inferior quality of steel which contributed to premature wear and failure. Not all Steel Mills had great Met Labs and great quality control engineers. I have seen scrap or inferior product sent to the customer in spite of being rejected by Q.C.

There is a reason why certain steels manufacturers such as Krupp, Whitworth, Kilby, Timken, Simmonds, Eskilstuna, etc. developed a world-wide sterling reputation for quality and consistency. There is also a reason why products made of steel from Pakistani, Chinese, and other third world steel mills have a reputation as low quality junk. This country had many producers of low grade junk as well. All steel is not created equal, and you don't always get what you may think you are buying. Steel quality and composition is one very important reason why some brands of guns withstand heavy use for decades, and other brands become junk. But it is not the only reason.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

21 receivers are a bear to blue to me. They dont go brown as much as the blue gets a purple undertone. 12s also can fade a bit different from the barrel color.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Model 21's don't have receivers. But actions and receivers that have bluing that turns purple usually indicates a high nickel content.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Being a Journeyman welder by trade, flame-cutting up the L.C. Smith receiver (sans action parts) is a "no-brainer" I bought it for the parts, someone had tried to remove the firing pin bushings and butchered it up-- this is SN 47286 and has the older rotary cam barrel stop-extractor actuator design--

What a strange ruling- can you fire any shells from a double barrel shotgun receiver- w/o the barrels in place. The only way I can conceive of this stripped down receiver being used as a weapon is if a villan threw it at your head at close range--

Re: M21 blueing fading- I have no idea how old my M21 is- the SN is 15992- mt Dad bought it used in 1948, passed it to me in 1980-- it has a splinter forearm, so there is barrel blueing wear evident in that area, but the blueing on the receiver bottom side is also worn, but seems to have a different patina. Could WRA have used a slightly different nickel-chrome-moly-carbon analysis steel for the barrels, than for the frame/receiver?? Just wondering.

FWIW-- any one who orders L.C. Smith parts from me will also receive a L.C.S. Collectors Assn. 2019 calendar- gratis- included in the shipping.

I would prefer NOT to slice up this older L.C. Smith with a gas axe", just as I would prefer NOT to tug on Superman's Cape- or even spit into the wind at a mach 3 velocity. RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

I "beg to differ" re: "receivers. Page 63-- WRA Sales Manual 1938 in alpha order, their term definitions: Receiver: The metal box or casing which houses the breech, lock, and reloading mechanism of a shotgun or rifle. Otherwise termed the frame. All my Winchesters- rifles and shotguns- have receivers, just as they have barrels and stocks- Capishe???

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope Fox, break open doubles do not have receivers. They have frames or actions. Your definition above does apply to your Winchester Model 12 or your Winchester Model 70, but not a Model 21. Revolvers don't have receivers either.

But I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over terminology like Dr. Wanker did with his repetitive rant over water table vs. action flats. Although I wonder what he would have said if someone called action flats receiver flats???

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.