April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, Ducks Rx, JDH, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein), 210 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,757
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

You were advised to lightly polish high spots on the breech end. Lightly means just that as I learned on my first attempt at fitting an orphan set of Armor Steel L.C. Smith barrels to a OO grade with a blown barrel. Working slow and careful, I got the gun to close perfectly with proper clearance under the barrel flats, good bolting, top lever right, etc. My total cost for the blown gun and orphan barrels was about $100.00, and I was happy to make a cheap shooter. All was great until I found that I took a bit too much off the rim depth and some (most) ammunition with slightly thicker rims wouldn't permit the gun to close properly. I had made the mistake of stoning a few thousandths too much off of the breech end of the barrels instead of stoning the hook. Learn from my rookie mistake that you often can't put metal back once removed.

Fortunately, I was able to borrow a reamer to cut the rim depth a bit deeper on both barrels. I've used kerosene soot lamps, Dykem layout blue, Jarrows black, etc for spotting. And RWTF is right about a small straight acetylene flame making lots of soot. But one very cheap and readily available item for your arsenal is to hit up your wife for an old tube of lipstick. A thin coat on one surface will easily transfer to the opposing contact surface, and show high spots very well. Some acetone on a rag will clean it right off. I'm not so keen on this for inletting wood although some use it. I got this idea from one of the Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks books, which are a great source of tips and ideas.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I forgot I had an old kerosene lamp so I put that to good use.

Here is the progress.

I am assuming I want almost 100% contact?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Coming along great. You do need to put the extractor in to see what it is going to do.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK 1st of all I do not know how long it takes master barrel fitter to do this but I have about 6 hours in it up to this point

This is the latest without the extractor.

Just for conversation sake. Assuming the extractor has no impact (I am sure it will) how much more of the chamber face am I expected to have shinning to be considered done?

Thanks for all the input. The barrel gauges at .730 both sides and I cut the barrel down to 27" from 30". Besides wanting that length I figured it would also give me a chance at barrel soldering and eventually slow rust bluing. Also I am sure the shell face rim will have to be re-cut. I am also going to carve a beaver tail fore end and a new stock.

This is one of two projects the other being a real nice and tight Fulton special 16 gauge that I am doing to have a go at working through many of the steps of restoration. I have a couple 20 gauge LC smiths and that will get the benefit (hopefully) of the effort.

This shot gun is going to be my tight woods close to home flooded timber woody duck gun.

Thanks again.

Travis

Last edited by Travis S; 02/17/19 01:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is pretty much there. how much contact does your smoke show on the hook? I doubt you removed enough metal to effect the rim cuts. A beavertail fore end puts a lot of extra force on the fore end hanger, don't be surprised if it eventually pops loose.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Travis, that is excellent fitting. Some so-called "master" double gunsmiths can't get one with that much contact. If it looks that good with the extractor in, I'd leave it alone.

How does the barrel flat to action flat relationship look?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

First of all if you ever hear of me wanting to do this again please send me a self addressed envelope and I will send you a plane ticket to come down here so you can kick me in the nads. Holy moly what a chore. I spent 5 1/2 more hours on it after my last update. It really ended up being a test of will. The barrels were still riding high so I kept at it and had to work on about 7 areas simultaneously to end up with what I hope is a good fit. There is at least 85% breach face contact and the barrel flats are almost 50 contact with the tightest being over the pin. I polished the barrel face with 320 grit. Any reason to go finer?

The extractor fitted just fine and operates properly but I did note that one of my shot shell brands did fit tight but I tried about 5 others and they were fine. I will forgo messing with rim depth cutting for now. I have not checked hook/lever contact yet but it feels pretty smooth with some good travel.

Many thanks for the input and direction. Pics of what I hope is the final product. At the risk of jumping off a bridge, if you see something that needs attention I guess go ahead and tell me smile

Thanks again

Last edited by Travis S; 02/19/19 01:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope you are not leaving the extractor looking like that? grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't have at least 50% contact on the hook it may shoot loose again. But you have gotten past the biggest hurdle. The next one will take you a lot less time and the one after that will be less. Good work!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For Salopian I did clean up the extractor.

Mark II what is the next step after lever surface adjustment.

Many thanks

Travis

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.