March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It would be informative and helpful if folks here shared their knowledge about the hazards of stuff we work with. Mercury in bluing solutions has come up, but there are surely other materials and substances that require some precautions. I expect breathing the dust from sanding wood is not contributing to a long life. How about dust from carding during bluing? I now wear disposable plastic gloves for many operations but started doing so mainly to make it easier to wash up. Checkering, especially with power tools, must release a mixture of wood and finish materials. Any specific hazards and/or their minimizing could be a big help.

Bill Ferguson
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I wear a mask when carding, the dust is nasty, can not help your health. Some stock finish has hazardous materials included and is best applied with gloves. Lead fumes when casting. Welding fumes. I use chlorinated brake cleaner outside with gloves.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

To start things off with a blanket not good for humans. All heavy metals and their salts, Lead Tin Solders, Lead sheeting in various guises, Bismuth is also toxic being a heavy metal. Two surprise metals that will come up in the future I am sure as being human enemies, Aluminium, Copper even though there are millions of cooking utensils made from them, plus Aluminium salts are not very friendly to your kidneys, Copper salts also. Just a sobering thought Michelangelo was reported to have green teeth and a temper like a volcano it is now thought to be caused by heavy metal poisoning he absorbed from the paint pigments used in his work. One more thing Art galleries do not like the reports of Mercury vapours that are in the air, given off by old master paintings. So lets keep things in proportion the world is toxic place to live in one way or another all you have to do is try to minimise your exposure. So give me Mercury vapor as long as I can look at those old master paintings, my enjoyment my risk!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Working is toxic . OK all the above , you just have to be careful in handling any chemicals , not taking any risks .
But after 50 years working in the trade I'm still around .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Billy, the plastic gloves you are wearing contain phthalates to make the plastic flexible. Phthalates can cause cancer and a number of other illnesses. Latex gloves can also trigger severe allergic reactions. Everyone already knows that breathing dusts, heavy metal fumes, etc. should be avoided. What is the point of this nonsense? Try Google if you need to know more. I would suggest that you should live in one of those isolation bubbles for people with compromised immune systems. From there, you would be safe spewing your anti-Trump diatribes and running your campaign for anti-gun Democrats.

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Yeah, we all know what happened to Vince Foster because it's been so well documented. Thanks, KY Jelly for reminding us. If the SC had not elected George W, we'd never have had the invasion of Iraq and the hundreds of thousands of American and civilian casualties. There is a crisis at the border. Trump created it. Check out any reliable facts about change in illegal entry. He shot his mouth off during the campaign, and now he's scrambling to accommodate a base that thought he knew something.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith, the doctors and dentists I see all use these gloves. I'll tell them to consult with you regarding the error of their ways. If you don't see the point of my post, why do you reply? I'll tell you why: it's because you're incapable of passing up a chance to demonstrate your hostility and stupidity. Go study Fox News. Go listen to Rush. Read The National Enquirer. These sources will all enlarge your perspective and your fund of knowledge.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry you feel that way Billy. But wasn't it you who very recently stated your intent to harass me until I die? Why yes... yes you did:

Keith, your lack of basic logic is telling. I didn't say it was either you or me. I asked Dave to choose. He declined. I'm here to harass you 'til you die. You think you own this site. I say you're delusional, like your president.

I still think I'll outlive you because you are old and frail and have high blood pressure. But you can keep on harassing me. And don't worry, I won't cry to Dave like you do.

To answer your dumb question... which I already did once... it appears the point of your thread was to ask stupid questions about dangers that every adult with a brain is already aware of. If you don't know you shouldn't breathe dust or eat mercury or put acid in your eyes, go ask Google what to do. Read the labels and MSDS's. You are not imparting any DIY Gunsmithing knowledge here. In fact, it seems your major contribution to this site is the defense of anti-gun Democrats and the denigration of pro-gun Conservatives.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The point of my thread is that guys younger than us may not be aware of some risks they're exposing themselves to. PS: Many members here don't object to you because you're a pro-gun conservative. We expect pro-gun conservatives here. What we don't like is loud-mouthed bullies who put forth an image of gun owners as raging nitwits.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 02/15/19 09:24 AM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

The point of my thread is that guys younger than us may not be aware of some risks they're exposing themselves to. PS: Many members here don't object to you because you're a pro-gun conservative. We expect pro-gun conservatives here....

There's an undercurrent of the green new deal in play that may not may not allow us to accept personal responsibility. If the environment is our overriding concern, perhaps all kali prop 65 chemicals and products should be banned. If we impose the assumption of unquestioning correctness, shouldn't our obligation be to dialog about whatever the village can decide for us?

Just kidding Bill. I think a good message is to learn about the differences in products that we think protect us, and actually protect us. I always wonder about folks who use the cheapest drywall paper masks that they can find to use around things that give off various solvents.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craig, though we often disagree, we can also often have a discussion. I appreciate that.

Bill Ferguson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.