April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, j7l2, 2 invisible), 817 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,824
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#536535 02/06/19 09:31 PM
coosa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was looking for a light 20 gauge sxs to use for turkey hunting 6 years ago and came across what I thought was a bargain in a Fausti that had been imported by Traditions. It had the features I was looking for, except it had a straight stock instead of the pistol grip I wanted. I figured I could get used to it, but disliked it enough that I seldom used the gun.

I have been watching for a pistol grip stock since I bought it, but have never seen one for sale. A couple weeks back I found a guy with 2 stocks for a Winchester 23 that he was almost giving away, so I bought them. I got him to measure the ends and decided I could fit one to my gun. One of them had 2" cut off and I thought it would be good to practice on before trying to install the decent one.

I found out quickly that stock makers earn whatever they charge. I've enjoyed working with it, but it's harder than I expected. Here is my question - is the recoil supposed to be primarily on the wood behind the stock bolt block? That looks to me like the only part of the Fausti stock that is substantial enough to handle recoil, and it's even more so with the Winchester stock adapted to it. The other places that the stock touches the action has such thin wood that I'm afraid it could crack if it absorbs any recoil.

The wood on the Fausti stock was left proud to the action; I had planned to try to fit it, but it's so thin that I think I should leave it proud on the new stock.

I am thinking I should glass bed it, taking care to do a good job with the wood behind the stock bolt block. If this is what is supposed to bear most of the recoil then the thin wood in other places shouldn't matter. I have bedded several rifles, but never thought of doing a sxs shotgun.

This is a cheap gun and certainly not worth paying someone to restock. I obviously have no experience in stock building, so thanks for any help.

Last edited by coosa; 02/06/19 09:35 PM.
coosa #536537 02/06/19 09:45 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not at all familiar with a Fausti, or what it might take to cheat and adapt a Winchester 23 stock to fit. But you are correct to think that recoil is likely to crack thin sections. Ideally, the more surface area of dense end grain that you can get inletting contact with on the rear of the action, the better. The only place to avoid contact is where a wedge effect might split the stock, as at the rear of a tang for example.

I have seen where a gunsmith built up thin or weak areas in the inletting, where it wouldn't be visible, with small blocks of walnut epoxied in place. Then this added walnut filler block is headed up as if you were starting from a blank. Sounds like good practice if you can pull it off.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #536546 02/06/19 11:00 PM
coosa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Keith, I should have posted a picture. You can see where the wood will contact the action, and it looks like to me that most of the recoil has to go to the block and the tangs that hold it. The Winchester stock is not as thick as the original at the front where it fits into the action.

I am thinking that it shouldn't matter if I bed it well. But since I have never done such a thing, I thought I should ask people who know.

fev fallout

coosa #536579 02/07/19 12:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

While the block the through bolt goes into is the main recoil lug the mating of the stock where it meets the action is important to spread the recoil forces over as much area is equally important.

coosa #536589 02/07/19 02:10 PM
coosa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mark, I got my bedding materials out and found they were mostly too old to use. I ordered a new kit and will plan to bed both stocks. It's good that I have the short one for practice. I have some walnut I can use to glue pieces to the inside of the front of the stock to reinforce it in the manner Keith mentioned.

coosa #536625 02/07/19 07:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are also add on pistol grip extensions that could be added to the original stock.

coosa #536693 02/08/19 02:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

if your bedding material is acraglas put it in the microwave 1 min or less at a time till soft the use it.

gunny #536726 02/08/19 07:52 PM
coosa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunny
if your bedding material is acraglas put it in the microwave 1 min or less at a time till soft the use it.

Thanks for the tip. Put both the resin and hardener in the microwave? What about the release agent? All 3 have become solid. I added some alcohol to the release agent, but it doesn't appear to be dissolving very well

Mark II #536727 02/08/19 07:57 PM
coosa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark II
There are also add on pistol grip extensions that could be added to the original stock.

Thanks for the info, but I've worked on this one too long to give up on it. I'm concerned about the strength of it, but I think bedding it should take care of that.

coosa #536763 02/09/19 10:26 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

For release agent, I use automobile paste wax,,the 'soft' kind. Use a common toothbrush to apply liberally to the metal and let it dry. Never had a problem.
There are lots of other alternatives that people use, but that's just my offering.

On those rounded rear tang ends,,before you apply any release agent you can carefully lay over a piece of common scotch tape, 2 layers if you wish. Just cover the radius of the curve and cut it off as it blends into the straight sides of the tangs. Then apply your release agent what ever it it right over the tape and the surrounding metal.

The idea is that the tape layer(s) will produce a nice even relief of a few .000 at the rear of the tangs to avoid cracking from setback should it still happen.
It makes a nice clean job of it and is easy to do.

Up front you can if you wish very gently taper the sides of the frame inward,,very gently..
That's called draft on the part. Here it will keep the stock held tight to the action and tangs. You only need a few degrees of draft,,hardly noticable and no matter how much you file in, it won't change the side outside contour at all anyway. Only the very small top and bottom frame to wood contacts will show the taper.

Be careful enlarging the contact areas by adding glued in wood at the head of the stock beyond what the metal of the frame is.
You may be trying to boost the strength, but you may block the operation/rotation of the hammers to the rear or sometimes the bolt retracting.

There's plenty of contact surface on that action. Square it up a little to even better make flat surfaces even if you don't add any draft. Careful glas bedding and a full draw on the stock bolt will have it secure.

Have fun with it..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.