May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (ClapperZapper, bsteele, Birdog, Sandlapper, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 287 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,569
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
keith #536363 02/05/19 10:35 AM
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Do you include Red oil in your indictment?

Certainly. And most definitely with a wood like beech that is notorious for uneven stain absorption. I find it much more controllable to use either a home-brewed alcohol based alkanet stain or Behlen's SolarLuxe prior to applying my final finish. But if your unconventional furniture and cabinet finishing techniques give you the look you want on a gunstock, go for it.

Oh, I'm not recommending Japanese Shou Sugi Ban to gussy up this beech stock either, although that technique made some nice tool handles when I finished them. Too much potential for a bad result for a first try on a rifle.

Absolutely nothing unconventional with red oil or adding alkenet directly into a modified oil finish. Duane Weibe had a wonderful pictorial on his website for years on how to use this technique. I have used this method for many years myself and never once needed to sand off the finish. The beauty of this method is that when you cut back using rotten stone and the colored finish as a lube you do not get light colored areas. Nothing at all wrong with an alcohol based stain and the method you use but it is hardly the only acceptable method of obtaining a quality stock finish.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

I wonder how the yellowing of approved finishes is interpreted within the manifesto ?

Out there doing it best I can.
SKB #536367 02/05/19 10:50 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't mind me asking what does your reply have to so with refinishing beech ?

Here's my tip beech is going to look like crap no matter what you do

Sidelock
Sidelock

Winchester, of course, was famous for using a secret recipe for red oil finishes on their rifles. But then, they were Winchesters after all.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

You made that donation yet ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, I am well aware of the technique of red oil sanded in finishes. Also aware that there is more than one way to get a good finish on a stock. But we are not dealing with walnut here. I feel the stain mixed with the finish on beech would be more difficult to control on a wood notorious for taking stain unevenly. More difficult to correct if it didn't turn out well too. But I already said that. And the unconventional methods I really questioned was that psychedelic furniture finishing tutorial that seemed intended to apply some unusual effect to make plain hardwoods "interesting".

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.