March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, steve voss), 805 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I watched this rifle for a good long time on gunbroker,
it finally sold.

Field Rifle Company

Single shot rifles are for the most part above my pay grade, so I don't follow them, but I was curious about this one because of the Winchester barrel.

I'd like to learn more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Fred,

Thanks for sharing this auction. A interesting rifle! Im also not well informed on single shots. Interesting looking rear sight base, looks a bit like something Parker & Hale would have made? Nice stock grain, I like the color too.

I would like to hear what the single shot aficionados Har to say!

-Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

I watched it too. It is a very nice rifle for sure. What it is exactly, I can't say but it sure looks like a Field with a Winchester barrel. I can't believe that Winchester made the action and i see no reference to it in Campbell's book where I might expect him to have made some mention of it Winchester had made them. Field actions are elegantly simple as I remember the one I handled.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one once upon a time, it was marked "Greener/Field's Patent"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Both front and rear sights are extremely rare and unusual. The rear is missing it's staff and appears to be a very early first generation Lyman #15. Very neat sight. The front is a windage adjustable similar to the Lyman #7, or #5, but very unusual with just a post.
Surprised to see that gun finally sell. It's sure been offered up for a very long time.

Last edited by Vall; 02/04/19 12:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with BrentD that it is a Field's 1877 patent action with a Winchester barrel.
Rebarreling English falling blocks to American cartridges was pretty common practice once although this one looks to have kept its original forend which is nice.
I bet the heavy 30/40 barrel profile was made to closely match the rifle's original barrel profile or just happened to be close.
I would think that the original chambering would have been a 450 or 500 of one sort or another.
The Field action is exceptionally simple but of high quality and many of the high tier gunmakers of the day built rifles on this action.
Had I seen it, I would have considered buying it and rebarreling it to a more original chambering.
I have one in 500 No.2 and would not mind another at all but buying this one and then the rebarrel and proper sights would probably put the project at too high a cost. Does have nice wood though...

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.