May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (cpa), 159 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,092
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
You may wish to put dye in the finish to even out the tone.

And then you may learn that those all-in-one finishes with stain in them are one of the worst things ever concocted. If you wish to go down that road, best you experiment on scrap wood. You can only sand mistakes off your stock so many time before you screw it up.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #536301 02/04/19 11:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you include “Red oil” in your indictment?

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Arctic
The best stain I've come across for Arctic Beech Was some I'd made up from Nitric Acid and clean steel wool dissolved in it. Was left over from another project on ancient muzzleloaders and had sat for awhile. The wood was cleaned and the stain applied, scrubbed to get the green oxidation off, and, if I remember, it got the True Oil treatment. Appeared as top quality Walnut!!

When I used this "traditional" stain treatment on a tiger-striped maple long rifle stock the green didn't become evident until about three years after the final finish. I'll never use it again.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Do you include “Red oil” in your indictment?

Certainly. And most definitely with a wood like beech that is notorious for uneven stain absorption. I find it much more controllable to use either a home-brewed alcohol based alkanet stain or Behlen's SolarLuxe prior to applying my final finish. But if your unconventional furniture and cabinet finishing techniques give you the look you want on a gunstock, go for it.

Oh, I'm not recommending Japanese Shou Sugi Ban to gussy up this beech stock either, although that technique made some nice tool handles when I finished them. Too much potential for a bad result for a first try on a rifle.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Arctic
The best stain I've come across for Arctic Beech Was some I'd made up from Nitric Acid and clean steel wool dissolved in it. Was left over from another project on ancient muzzleloaders and had sat for awhile. The wood was cleaned and the stain applied, scrubbed to get the green oxidation off, and, if I remember, it got the True Oil treatment. Appeared as top quality Walnut!!

When I used this "traditional" stain treatment on a tiger-striped maple long rifle stock the green didn't become evident until about three years after the final finish. I'll never use it again.

SRH

Did it have chromium in it? I think it may have. There were/are a number of concoctions that do seem to feature that green and I think it might be chromium, but I can't recall for sure.

A good aquafortis stain will never turn green. I built this rifle with aquifortis close to 20 yrs old and still dark brown on maple. And of course, most antique maple muzzleloaders haven't turned green. In fact, I have never seen one that has. So, perhaps not all "traditional" finishes are traditional.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dissolved iron filings in the acid. Was there chromium in the iron? I don't know. Best I remember it was filings from cold rolled steel. I went by the original formula the best I knew how. Others told me they have had the same results, with the green tint coming later.

There are a lot better "traditional type" stains out there to use for m/ls.............like Homer Dangler's.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/05/19 12:09 AM. Reason: sp.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I don't know what happened with yours. Probably the acid you used. But in any event, mine has not had that problem. I don't think it will, so it can be done.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the late 1960s, there was a muzzle-loading group in the area where I live. One gentleman had personally made more than 50 rifles. He gave me some help & advise on mine though I did the work myself. Nitric acid was often used on the stock finish. Before I did mine he warned me occasionally one would turn Green, & he knew of no way to predict or prevent it. I went on with the acid. Brushed on the acid, then dried it with a propane torch After the acid treatment I coated the stock with Potassium Permanganate until it turned Black. This was rubbed then with steel wool dipped in linseed oil until the desired tone was reached. It turned out really good & has never gone Green. This was on Curly Maple.

Another method I discovered later is to coat the maple with a strong Tea solution then set the part in a sealed container, Cardboard Box will work, along with a dish of Stronger Ammonia. The Ammonia reacts with the tannic acid in the tea & turns it a most beautiful color. I have not done a stock this way but have done some pistol grips & several other items.

This process is said to have originated with Oak "Mission Furniture" except the oak had its own tannic acid & did not need the tea treatment.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
....Best I remember it was filings from cold rolled steel....

I have no idea how chromium would reaction in the wood finishing mixture or on that particular blank, but I would be confident there is some chromium in 'CRS'. I believe it is recycled and I wouldn't count on it being consistent batch to batch other than it's likely a mild steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't really trust my memory of what was supposed to cause green stocks, but it was a very common problem and some actually liked the effect back in the 80s.

I have a pair of rifles that I treated with the same bottle of nitric acid solution yet turned out very different. One is the rifle with the antelope above. I don't have a photo of the other handy, but it is very red. They are both some sort of curly maple but certainly from different sources and perhaps the wood makes a difference.

Anyway, I've never had one turn green.

_________

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.