March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank Otte, have you considered putting that greener in the for sale section?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam

Sorry to ramble on so long, but hey, Joe, you asked!!

Better get that PTPS lOOked at Perry...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: steve white
Frank Otte, have you considered putting that greener in the for sale section?

You are about 4 days too late.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The other great thing about break-action guns- as we all know- once the breech is open, 2 good things occur- (1) anyone can see if there are shells in the chambers, or not- and (2) the gun cannot be fired in that mode- must be closed.

Hunting with Mr. Blair, our neighbor-- He had an early Browning A-5, with the safety inset in the trigger guard, as on the M-1 and M-14 Military rifles I came to know later in life.. Dad has the M21, with auto safety, and I had his 20 gauge M12 with their design.

After he took his turn over Pepper (his English Pointer) and neatly dropped a rooster, I watched him handle that A-5- pushing back the safety bar inside the trigger guard, before reloading the magazine.

"Gosh, Mr. Blair" I exclaimed, that safety on your gun works different than on my, or even Dad's!" "That's quite right, lad- but always remember, the only safety on a gun you can trust is the one located up between your ears!""

He was also the first of my Dad's hunting friends to do the "finger" number- he would always insert his index finger into the chamber after unloading his gun, "If you don't feel air, then beware!"" I still do the same today when shooting my M12's--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was 14 years old, under the Christmas Tree was a new Stevens 311-D 20 ga. It likely got dry fired 10,000 times that morning (the firing pins didn't start breaking until 30 years later). I hunted everything there was to hunt in South Louisiana with that shotgun (and others, but mostly that one). I refinished the stock and removed the pressed checkering. I was the only one of my hunting buddies who carried a SxS. It's been submerged, stuck in the duck pond mud, and sat in my trunk at the airport in Shreveport, LA for two weeks while I was in CN. The seal on my trunk failed and the trunk filled with water. That wasn't too good for it. It still worked though. The next year I had it re-blued by someone who billed themselves as a gunsmith. The barrels were mottled and the receiver turned purple. Oh well. I still carried it and it provided lots of quail and dove dinners for my new bride and I. Prior to the Trunk incident, I had bought a semi inletted stock and forend from Fajen. Birdseye maple. The shotgun went through three boys and still wears the same refinished stock that came with it. I found another 311-H (I think) in a pawn shop in like new condition that I will put the stock on for my grandson.

Since then I have acquired a number of other doubles, some shooters, some safe queens. In my later duck hunting years I stopped carrying the doubles into the brackish marsh and opted for a Rem 870 with a synthetic stock and that no rust finish (or rust resistant). It's not the same as swinging on a Bluebill with two barrels. The only one I take any more (and it gets little use) is a Zabala Bros 10 ga. It's mostly for long range cripples.

The last one I got was an old grandma Stevens 335 16 ga. She was sitting in a pawn shop surrounded by a bunch of riffraff, so I brought her home. I about wore out a nickel taking the rust off, but she's stained for life. I'll also have to break out my acraglass skills to rebuild the inletting on the buttstock so it will line up correctly.

If the quail make a comeback in South Texas I may break out the Parkers some day, but until then the old battle axes will do my work.

It is an odd thing this SxS addiction. There are just so many reasons why they are the best.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good first post Alan. Welcome...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the welcome.

I hunted quail down in Falfurrias, TX with a gentleman one time many years ago. It was quite a production such that I had never experienced before (and never will again). He had two hunting trucks for hunters, a truck with dogs and handlers, four outriders on horseback locating coveys, and a Suburban following with lunch (full meal deal with waitstaff and cook). There were four of us switching out to hunt with each other. Three coveys then the other team's turn. As I was riding with the owner in the hunting seat on top of one of the trucks, I was holding onto my Ithaca SKB trying to keep it from rattling in the gun rack. He had two doubles in the rack that he seemed relatively unconcerned about any dings the stocks or barrels may have been getting on the bouncing around. He asked about my shotgun and I proudly told him what it was, and asked about his (because quite frankly, I could not identify them from my experience). He casually said they were a matched set of Purdey doubles. In my shock and youthful inexperience, I remarked that I wouldn't have them bouncing around in the racks like that. He simply stated that if he could not hunt with the best he would not hunt....

He let me hold them and that was the last time I ever saw, much less held, a Purdey shotgun. I haven't been on a quail hunt like that since either.

They were all pen raised flight conditioned birds and he had Chukar and Pheasant as well but we were only hunting quail that day. He had the whole operation going on that place. It was quite an experience but it further solidified my love of SXS shotguns, even though I'll never own a Purdey.

Alan

Last edited by armjr; 02/06/19 11:35 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They are nice to hold now and again...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm looking forward to the "again", but barring some extraordinary positive changes in finances, I'll likely never purchase a shotgun that costs more than my vehicles.

Alan

Last edited by armjr; 02/08/19 12:07 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One thing about it they last longer than an automobile.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.