March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (ChiefAmungum), 205 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,975
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

With all the glOOm and dOOm in the decline thread I thought I'd start a thread on a more positive note....

Here's how I got into SxS's.

I got into SxSs for reasons different than most folk here I got 'invited in' by a Gunsmith friend name of Ed Mason...they shot black powder skeet with cartridge guns at my gun club every Wednesday.

I told him Ed I don't have a vintage SxS...he replied I got one you can shoot.

He sure cost me some money.

Ed Mason, Charlie Lindsay, Bobby Collins, Tom Jones and a few more all passed to the happy hunting grounds/club in the sky...you know if they hadn't died on me with their coaching I might've been a good shot by now.

I kept hunting with SxSs for several years...but with their loss my interest was pretty much lost.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I started with them in my teens. No apparent reason other than I thought they "were cool" at that age. Kind of went against the flow. But I can shoot most sxs's pretty well. Okay, maybe not as well as a few years back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I started with a hand me down 16ga Western Field (Stevens with Tenite stock). Dad got a pump I got his 16ga SxS. Tried everything else in my early years and always came back to SxSs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always liked them, long before they were affordable. I tend to gravitate to firearms of the mid/late 19th century because I find those times to be more interesting than other periods of history.

Joe, if your interest in them is "pretty much lost" then why are you here?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1963 at age 16, I inherited an old Birmingham hammer double.
C. Crawford 12 gauge, short chambers, black powder proof and reinforced at the wrist with sheet brass and many screws.
Didn't know any better so I shot it with 2 3/4 inch Canuck target loads, thinking they were mild..

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Given an old 12 bore Flues Ithaca for my 12th Birthday by my father and used it for small game growing up on my Grandmothers farm. Moved West 25 years ago for school, stayed and have had bird dogs and doubles steady for over 20 years. I do not shoot anything but SxS's for birds, just what I like.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always thought break action shotguns were neat, and that hammer guns had very graceful lines. That combined with a fairly broad nostalgic streak in me got me into Parkers then Birmingham hammer guns. Then the progressively got more and more expensive lol

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I get older my memory of dates becomes a bit cloudy but I am pretty sure that it was sometime in or around October or November of 1961 when I was 12 about to turn 13 in February that my dad replaced the Remington 37 in 20 gauge that belonged to my uncle that I had hunted several seasons with. He presented me with a Stevens 311 in 12 gauge. I was in heaven. I had wanted a Browning "humpback" but he first bought a less expensive Remington Sportsman. I kept that until my mother discovered that he had paid $100 for it. He took it back and came home with the Stevens for a mere $74. I used that little double for several years putting everything from bird shot to buckshot through it, bringing in doves, quail, rabbits, squirrels and deer. Then for many years I went to pumps and autos. Until, that is, I read an article in either DGJ or Shooting Sportsman in about 1993 about a guy who had hunted ducks with an old double gun of some sort. That caused me to pull out the little Stevens I still have and use it on doves that year. The rest, as they say, is history!! I still shoot an occasional auto or pump, but I always come back to my doubles, either SxS or O/U. But I now find as I get older I am going to the smaller gauges and much lighter weight guns!! Sorry to ramble on so long, but hey, Joe, you asked!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was 10 yrs old and it was my first season to carry a shotgun. My parents gave me a used bolt action 16ga, it worked fine while practicing, but at the first flush it wouldn't fire. We went back to my aunts cabin and dad worked on it a while and couldn't fix it. Grand-uncle Steve kept an old Rem 10ga hammer sxs in the closet behind the stove so dad borrowed it, we had to go to the local store(sold everything back then food, beer , bait, ammo, gas, oil) and they had a couple boxes of Green paper Remington 2 7/8" 6's on the shelf. Well dad filled his limit of grouse both days and I got none, I thought the old sxs was magic.

Dad and Mom gave me a brand new pump for Christmas, I shot it for trap for a long time but saved my lawn moving money and spent all $15 of it on an old sxs and it was my hunting gun, killed my first grouse on the wing with it.

I never could shoot a sxs very well for trap but in the field,, skeet and SC it is my goto kind of shotgun.

Last edited by oskar; 01/30/19 10:49 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dad had his uncle's 20 ga Western Long Range. The first shotgun I ever shot.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.