March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, KDGJ, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If anyone has added on a wood spacer to a gun that was either previously shortened or was ordered with a short stock and you were looking to lengthen it, what did you use to complete any mineral streaking and continue the grain onto the spacer to blend it all in? Did you add the grain/streaks first then rub in the stain to redo the stock? Just looking for some tips for a future project. THX.

Mike Koneski

MOLON LABE
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, this is a Specialty Grade L.C. Smith that someone shortened the stock to add a recoil pad which still was short. I added this piece of walnut, stained it and faux some of the grain. The piece added was 1 1/2" which gives me now a LOP of 14 1/8". I used 2- 2 1/2" coarse thread dry wall screws. No glue in case I want to do something else.
No where near the great job that Mark Larson does.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it were me I would just send it to Mark Larson, tell him what you want, and pay him for it. He makes his living as an artist, has the right materials, and knows what he's doing.
You'd wind up with 4 positives: support the arts, get the job done right, no expenditure on expensive materials you likely won't use again, and less frustration on your part.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 02/03/19 11:30 AM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

David, I agree. I was just curious as to what are the most common materials used to make the faux streaks/grain, etc.

Mike Koneski

MOLON LABE
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mohawk makes markers and colors to do the blending. They have a website.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
If it were me I would just send it to Mark Larson, tell him what you want, and pay him for it. He makes his living as an artist, has the right materials, and knows what he's doing.
You'd wind up with 4 positives: support the arts, get the job done right, no expenditure on expensive materials you likely won't use again, and less frustration on your part.

I disagree for the simple reason that this is supposed to be a DIY, or Do It Yourself Gunsmithing forum where people can learn from others who are willing to share their experience and methods. Nothing wrong with asking for the name of a good professional if the OP is not equipped or would rather not risk an amateur screw-up. It is always good to recognize your own limitations. But that wasn't the question, and an existing non-matching extension is already screwed-up, so there isn't much risk of destroying collectors value.

I wish I had more to contribute, but I myself have never attempted faux grain painting. That's why I keep a good supply of different walnut scraps, to have a really good selection to choose closely matching wood for repairs. Part of me would like to learn, but there is little information available to even get someone started. I'll be watching this thread with interest to see what I might learn.

From what I understand, the aforementioned artist/practitioner charges in the neighborhood of $800.00 for a faux grain painted stock extension. Please correct me if I'm wrong. $800.00 would buy a lot of paint, india ink, brushes, airbrush, etc., or go a long way toward restocking. It likely would not make economic sense for many run of the mill field grade doubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look you are not trying to duplicate the "Mona Lesa" just some false grain streaks. Visit an Artists supply store purchase some Ivory Black, Burnt Umber, Vandyke Brown, Oil or Acrylic paints while you are there purchase some light brown card to practice on, may be a couple of different sizes of squirrel hair or equivalent brushes and most important of all obtain some feathers to use as a brushes, they give that fade out effect far easier than you can get with a brush. Then comes the hard part practice your technique it wont take too long to come up with a passible result. Remember you seal the wood first so your paint does not soak into the wood instantly, and if you dont like what you have done just wipe your efforts off with a solvent and start again.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen some wonderful art work blending and faux graining. The thing that often gives the joint away is when the splice joint pops as the stock and addition expand and contract at different rates through the seasons.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a method of joining a stock extension that virtually eliminates the joint from opening caused by atmospheric changes. If you look at the stable stock extensions undertaken by some of the top line craftsmen on this side of the pond and we have an atmosphere that can change from dry to wet a couple of times a day, well it is a maritime climate after all. The methods only problem is that you do have to be able read the wood and orientate the extension correctly so its movement is in unison with the gunstock its self and be exceptionally good craftsman to get the joint correct.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Part of the problem with cross grain glue joints is that wood expands and contracts in response to humidity much more across it's width than it does longitudinally. Then you have that glue joint, usually an epoxy, which will inhibit moisture or humidity entering and expanding the wood from the end grain. And then you also have the relatively unsealed end grain of the extension under the buttplate. Many people think that most common stock finishes really seal the wood. But actually, they merely slow down the absorption of moisture. If that wasn't true, then we would never have a problem with wood movement. That thin epoxy glue joint isn't totally impervious to moisture, but it will allow a much different rate of moisture intrusion than normal end grain sealing. There is always more movement of moisture through the end grain because that is the normal flow of water and nutrients of the living tree.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.