April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KY Jon, LRF, Jem Finch, SKB), 1,142 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,844
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, there's no use in trying to argue with Ted. He knows everything.

The other problem with sleeving is that VERY FEW sleevers apparently bother to strike the new tubes to achieve the original balance. This comment is based on handling hundreds of sleeved guns over the past 8 or 10 years. Maybe 10% felt like they did when they left the works.

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.bsaltd.com/EnglishGuns.htm

Give Charles a call, he may be able to help you find what you seek.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted - welding has to do with cosmetics, not safety. A carefully welded and struck seam is near invisible. The issue with this work is that some may pass it off as OE barrels, knowingly or unknowingly.

E330 - Most sleevers would, as far as I can determine, prefer to make some extra money with the striking you refer to. However, most customers are aware of the reduction in value of sleeved guns and specify a cheap job (unwilling to pay for careful striking or more than minimul bore work). Note that very few guns handle today as they did when they left the works. Most, especially the sleeving candidates, have thinner tubes. The sleeves move the weight up, balance forward, and increase the swing efforts; unless the owner spends money to have additional work done on them. That can be good or bad, depending on the handling "fingerprint" desired by the gun owner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good point, Don. It may be the customer, not the sleever doing making the decision. Some of the OLD WR sleeved guns were horrible, the ones I've seen in the past few years are terrific. Some doubt I've heard as to which WR was doing some of the sleeving.

I once had I gun I gave to Nick Makinson. The balance was all wrong (restocked/sleeved) by someone else. I said "You know what it's supposed to feel like, make it feel that way."

He did.

Sidelock
Sidelock

E330 - I think you are comparing older sleeve jobs done on the cheap for salvaging cheaper guns to more recent sleeving jobs done to relatively more valuable guns. In the current case, more customers are willing to spend more money to salvage a gun. However, it remains real iffy to recover the cost of sleeving at the time of gun sale. This tends to drive down quality in an effort to keep cost down. $2000 spent on the barrels of a $1000 gun in hopes of making it a $3000 gun is risky; $1200 to make it a $2200 gun is a better gamble in most peoples' math.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing I do know is that the welded up barrel Purdey in question was rejected out of hand by our hero, and, presumably, by his very good gunsmith. Further, the reputable dealer has pulled it, lock, stock and welded barrels off his site.

There were a few issues along with those barrels, but, in and of themselves, the welded tubes were hardly a selling point, it would seem.

Reputable dealer could send it off to Kirk, and have a good and proper sleeving job done (Kirk will mark it sleeved, if they request) and re-offer it for sale. Kirk has always made it a point to maintain original balance on the guns he sleeves.

Eric, just concentrate on keeping 12 gauge ammunition in 12 gauge guns, henceforth-that has been a troublesome issue for you in the past, as I recall.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Ted, once I dropped a stray 16 ga shell into a 12 ga gun during a flurry. I neither dropped a 12 ga shell on top or it nor tried to close the gun. If this is the best you can do, give up.

You know what you know (French guns) but you don't know anywhere nearly as much as you think you know (a fact which you have been proving by demonstration on bulletin boards for, oh, what 8 years?).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
E330 - I think you are comparing older sleeve jobs done on the cheap for salvaging cheaper guns to more recent sleeving jobs done to relatively more valuable guns.
That is exactly correct and the point I was making about the India WR sleevers, particularly those done by the Missouri branch of WR USA, not the Clodes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

E330 - I understand that there is only one WR - past, present, and for the foreseeable future. They are ace machinists and engineers, among other skills. However, they did some cheap sleeving of cheap guns in the, oh, say, '50's and '60's. They needed money. Who would have ever imagined that the world would ever care about some boxlock that could be bought for a few £, put back in service for a few more £, and sold for a few £ profit. Yet, guns that have moldered for 50-100 years are suddenly valuable. I'm not aware of any sleeving work done in India or Missouri. What information do you have on this?

Ted - far as I can read, Ken rejected the Purdey based on #1 - he wants a highly original gun with as much OE finish as $25K can buy, #2 - the price and thesleeved barrels didn't go together; appears that SB agrees, but we will see how that works out. Don't see where anyone said it was a bad/unsafe sleeving job. Maybe it was too good to be left unmarked as the average Purdey buyer would not detect it. I'd bet there has been at least one snippy call from SB to whoever/wherever he bought this gun!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

No Don, not so. The FORMER (in Missouri, not to be confused with the EXCELLENT current Montana US branch) did some things "on their own" that were particularly bad.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.