March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (arrieta2, SKB, Borderbill, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 786 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Be careful whose data you go by in reloading. Harvey Donaldson was fanatical in proving that his creation would out perform the .220 Swift and some of his loads are highly suspect, especially when used in a rifle like a High Wall.

I met Harvey once at a bench rest match in Johnstown, NY, and he was a character. I was listening to a group of shooters talk when Harvey walked up. One of them asked Harvey, "Do you know what I'm shooting? An Improved Donaldson Wasp." Harvey exploded, "You can't improve a Donaldson Wasp!", provoking a gale of laughter from the group.

Sidelock
Sidelock

eightbore, some brass is on the way. If it doesn't work, I can supply a fine barrel that it does work well in, together with dies, a forearm, and more brass.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

eightbore,
You can find the interference by smoking a case neck/shoulder, and head; then chamber the case as far as it will go in, pushing pretty hard. When extracted, the case will show where the smoke is rubbed off. A "magic marker" may work also. Check the rim also, for diameter or thickness.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Double what xausa said. Some published/old loads are well over 60,000 PSI. Also some loads that might be fine in Harvey's latest long body, long neck version might not be fine in the original short body one. Oddly enough, the old reloading manual published by Herter's has pressure tested loads. Mine shoots half inch groups with any number of loads.

Last edited by HalfaDouble; 01/20/19 07:27 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks again. Still working at it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago a club member suddenly passed away and his wife liquidated his guns and accoutrements. I purchased a bench rest style 722 Remington in .219 DW along with dies and extensive load data he developed. He was a accomplished shooter at several disciplines and it was known to be one of his favorite rifles. I could never get that rifle to shoot for the life of me (and I tried everything I knew.) Aggravation set in and I finally sold it and gave the dies to a buddy that acquired a Hi Wall chambered for the same. It hasn't proven to set the world on fire either....

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I welcome even negative comments about the caliber since I am being educated. Latest is that I beat one of the Reed cartridges into the chamber without any idea of smoking the case. I used an oak rod to do the "beating". I went out to the range, shot the cartridge, and was impressed with the sound. Now, I have to get the case out of the chamber, then I will smoke a case to identify the interference. I suspect it is the shoulder. I wonder if Reed will resize the shoulders on the remaining 19 cartridges for me? Their shipping on one box of cartridges was $12.00 plus. I wonder if they will resize the cases and charge me another $12.00 to ship them back to me? I will wait for Bill's gift cases to get here. Thanks again to all. I'm not Mike Petrov, but I'm learning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You do know that beating a loaded case has been proven to be fatal in some instances.

If any more beating is yet to be done, use the case you just fired - without reloading it. If there is a fit problem, it should show.

Ps. Use a whiteboard marker instead of smoke. Blue works well.

Last edited by BrentD; 01/22/19 07:23 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like you possibly have Harvey's first version with the short body. He lengthened it when he saw that pressures were running way too high for the results he was after. Be careful.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great news today. I was able to remove the fired case with only a couple of hits on a steel rod with a rubber hammer, no fuss, no muss. When I determine where the resistance is, I'll either borrow or purchase a sizer or, better yet, send them back to Reed for sizing. Is it safe to size loaded ammunition? The "chamber sized" round goes back into the chamber with little resistance but I wouldn't want to chamber size the other 19 rounds. Again, thanks for all the assistance for someone who is not so much a rifle guy.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.