April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hal M Hare, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, 12boreman, 2 invisible), 798 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

The late Havilah Babcock wrote a story entitled "Jaybirds go to Hell on Fridays"-- same as a Bluejay? Our 7 acre yard, heavily wooded with shade trees, hosts: Robins (Our State bird), Cardinals, Bluejays, mourning Doves, black birds, both blackwing and redwing variations, grackles, starlings and an occasional crow.

I have my grandchildren believing that there are 3 species of the dove: morning doves, afternoon doves and evening doves. Some day they'll find out that their Grandfather was "putting them on"> No big deal, as Michigan will get a legal season on doves when Hillary gives hubby Slick Willy a "Lewinski" in Central Park at High Noon.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Originally Posted By: Stan

I can empathize with the old guy in the chair overlooking the bottom, except I'd rather it be a dove shoot. I am aiming to kill a limit of doves on my 100th birthday, which is October 13th (34 years from now), and if they have to call the coroner afterwards, well .......... that will be okay, too.

SRH

Stan, some people will do anything to get out of cleaning birds. Good luck in your quest to shoot until 100. I took my father and sons Dove shooting when he was 90. Got his limit of doves in less than a box of shells, using a Fox 16 I loaned him. Not bad for a fellow with only one good eye I thought. Heck I'd just like to be moving and lucid at his age. Sad to say he is done hunting he says. Just has no desire to shoot.

Well, I'll just let my 50 yr. old grandson clean them for me. wink

I remember well you recounting that dove shoot with your Dad. I recall your saying that he placed yardage markers before he ever sat down to begin shooting.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
....Well, I'll just let my 50 yr. old grandson clean them for me....

Yup, me too. I'll probably long have been measured up for a box, but wouldn't mind it at all if I could carry my gun and two or three decoys out somewhere. I wouldn't care for a limit or not, I'd really enjoy folding one with cupped wings, that came in to my call. Then, my old grandson can come pick me up with some eco friendly golf cart and gather up all my gear.

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan I watched him. He had not been hunting in several decades. Had to talk him into it. I think the Fox did most of the talking plus his grand kids helped. I put him in an area that would give him good left to right shots with few coming from behind him or few right at him on the end of the field. He sat there and watched the few birds moving for twenty minutes at least. He use to call this reading the field. Then he went and cut five or six tall weeds and placed them out in front of him to use as distance markers and also as marking point when he knocked down a bird. Then he went to work. Steady singles taken, then retrieved. I don't think he shot more than two birds before he retrieved them. In a little over an hour he was limited out. Like I said a limit in less than a box. Better than I have done many a day. If I live another fifty seasons I will not forget it. Gives me hope that I can shoot as long as I want to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is very nice topic. It inspired me to try hunting again this year. I'm going to find ole' Winchester 37 20ga to hunt with. Why? It was my first shotgun and being bad shot I'm not going to be able to shoot twice, therefore, I will not have to prepare and eat what I shot. Too much work, but I do want to get back into the wilderness. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I now have a collection of hunting licenses going back to 1957 in Maryland and back to 1958 in Pennsylvania, 61 years by my count. Of course, that does not count Whammo, Daisy, and long bow victims at an earlier age.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So I recall, from my modest collection of Havilah Babcock's works- My favorites are "Tennessee" and "Slim Boggin's Mistake", but you can't go wrong with any of his stories.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shot my first bird, a pintail, in 1955, so 63. Tagged along with my Dad and brother for 3-4 years before that.

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story about the fox drive. Many Winters ago, a group wpuld meet Sunday AM early-for a breakfast/coffee meeting, to plan out which square sections of farm land we would drive, and who would be the "stand shooters"- My first time out, I could hear the sounds the drivers made, some banging on pots with hammer handles- a streak of red fur came running towards my stand, I swung my 12 A-5 ahead, like on a rabbit crossing, shot, and rolled the fox over twice.

This was when a prime Winter fox fur pelt might fetch upwards of $30.00, a fact I didn't know, as I am not a fur trapper. I had a heavy load of coppered 4's (homage to Nash Buckingham I might guess)- the fox was riddled, and the pelt was not worth much in that condition.

Since then, I have shot many fox and coyotes, mainly with either my Sako .243Win, or my Dad's older M70 30-06-- but I'll always remember that first one. RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

47 years with a real gun and at least 53 tagging along. Can't remember how old I was but I remember the first time I got to carry a bagged rooster, but it was huge and I was very honored to be entrusted with it.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.