Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
Gavin said it was built to "pigeon specs"

Six nine doesn't sound like pigeon specs to me, Gene. Beautiful gun, tho'. Congrats. I hope you shoot it as well as it appears to be made.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree Stan. First off it's a 16 bore....and why take a pop gun to a pigeon shoot? It also has cylinder and 1/2 chokes....not the full ones you talk about. Gavin must have been referring to the flat rib, heavy weight (for a 16), 30" barrels, and side clips on the fences. That's the only thing I could figure out from his note. Anyway it's not your standard 16. We'll see what it looks like in a couple of months.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've bought a lot of firearms from Holt's with absentee bids. Almost 100% went to my top bid. Just saying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's nice to know Mike and IMHO it's not an accident. Useful info for future absentee bidders.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As mentioned the gun has been Nitro re-proofed with 2 3/4" chambers & for a 1 1/16 oz load. Bores are 16/1 which could mean they have been enlarged. It is also noted the Not for Ball is visible on both barrels from original proof, which should not be present on a cylinder bore.

Six-nine while not a true lightweight can be a very nice handling gun. I have a couple of 16's which go six twelve which handle nicely with 28" barrels. That cyl &* half combo is to me. a very desirable choke combo.

Lovely gun, Enjoy it to the fullest.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Harrell
I've bought a lot of firearms from Holt's with absentee bids. Almost 100% went to my top bid. Just saying.

Exactly. I watched close to a dozen lots with commissions yesterday start FAR higher than the starting bid listed. Did all have competing commissions? Perhaps, but I'm suspicious given the frequency it happened! I thought they would have q bit more integrity than that, perhaps they do, but its mighty suspicious. So Invaluable for now on for me

NRA Patron Life Member
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I think you guys might be mistaken. The last gun I bid on at Holt's with an internet bid was in Sept. and I had Dig do an inspection on it. The live bidding started out at the top range of the estimated bid, my bid was nearly 1 K higher. I watched the live audience bid it up the whole time I was in the lead, then someone called on the phone and out bid me. I think the estimates lead many folks to believe they are going to get a steal. The good stuff can still bring a decent amount, especially if it is scarce or in very good shape.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Possible SKB, but on Invaluable you see what the starting bid should be, but you hear the auctioneer state commission bid at X (hundreds to several thousand above starting bid!) And start it from there. All of my examples were in relation to starting bid on Invaluable.

Dig did an inspection for me and it was complete and very helpful- he pointed out a good deal of worke needed to be done and recommended not to buy it. I saved a good bit for the 50 fee! I do wish it was earlier as his site suggests as it made absentee bids nearly impossible. But as I now will be using Invaluable, it doesn't matter as much. I'll be using his service again next time I'm tempted by a catalog lol

NRA Patron Life Member
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I do not think invaluable see's all the bids, just those submitted through the service they offer. I believe the higher starting bid is pushed by internet bidders with Holt's starting at the highest contested bid. I could be wrong but that is how it seems to me.

I am not sure why Dig has been getting back his condition reports so late. I agree that it sure makes it harder.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Morning Steve, in the case of the Reilly, I will continue to be suspicious about the bid progression and the gavel. It was late in the day when lot 321 came up. Gavin was tired. But as I mentioned the start/finish process lasted 5 seconds. Why start it at..."oh...1600"? Why not...."Oh..,1,200"?

Anyway, having dealt with carpet wallah's in London, I sort of expected this. It doesn't matter all that much to me because I really wanted the gun. But, in hindsight I think it would be better to use invaluable and pay the commission. Just my $.02. Gene Williams

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.