April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jem Finch, Stanton Hillis, Marks_21), 1,058 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,121
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

They should mean a loaded shell. Any given gun may "digest" a 20 gauge shell in fromt of a 12 gauge chamber. But, it is pretty well known that some don't.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last year the editor of a well-known shooting magazine was in an accident at a well-known shooting school. The 20-bore cartridge went into his 12-bore and he went to hospital by helicopter by all accounts. Thankfully he made a full recovery.

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They were loaded 20 gauge shells in the gun. HULL=empty.....SHELL= loaded

Boxlock
Boxlock

I know of a fellow who was taking his girlfriend through a sporting clays course. He was shooting a 12 ga. Krieghoff O/U, she was shooting a 20 ga. He was helping her load her gun, and got 20 ga. shells among his 12 ga. shells. Long story short, he had a 12 over 20 burst.
It burst the bottom barrel in front of the chamber, shattered the forearm of the gun, breaking several bones in his hand and driving splinters among them. He spent most of the afternoon in surgery with an orthopod fixing his hand. The Krieghoff was DOA.
I didn't see the program, but they should have said. "Don't try this at home, boys and girls".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Revdocdrew, The Italian[(Say no more) 12b O/U that you posted here,and on your Excellent Web-Site, has become an Item of Interest' to several of theMembers of dbgunshop". My Client who did spend some time in both the 'Gentlemens Karsie' and then more time at the local Emergency Room being 'Stiched-Up' and having several, both steel & wood particals removed from 'Face,Neck, Both forearms and the strange one ..left knee-cap!He finished Law-School and moved away from the Midwest...To Where I Know not. I did hear at a later date, he wanted to Sue the Mfg. Ha! RevD Drew, Iwas incorrect when I told you it was the Top Bbl.that had the 20g shell dropped in before the 12 shell was loaded and fired..It was the Lower Barrel that 'Let Go. Look at the 2nd photo of the'Blownopenaction" Its quite 'Revealing'!!!cc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks CC-I'll correct the caption in the album.

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would think that the large majority of the time that a 12/20 burst is going to destroy the gun. A deer slug and a load of buckshot being blocked by a live 20 gauge? Amazing!! Of course when they played baseball with a new Ruger .22 auto- pitching and hitting it with a baseball bat and beating it to smithereens, then having it still fire was pretty amazing, too. or the time they drug a rifle down the road, through the mud and water; shot a synthetic/rifle several times with a shotgun; deep fried a handgun; froze another handgun; dropped a rifle from a tower of several feet onto the ground several times and all the other times they have tortured brand new guns- I don't ever remember any of them NOT firing. I guess guns will take quite a beating nowdays.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jimmy W
They were loaded 20 gauge shells in the gun. HULL=empty.....SHELL= loaded

As to nit-picking terminology, shell and hull should mean the empty cartridge case. A loaded cartridge should be called a cartridge, IMO, if it is intended to clearly mean that. However, shells and hulls are also commonly used words for loaded cartridges, even though probably not the best words.
Ever hear a removable box magazine referred to as a "CLIP" (shudder at the thought), even by "gun experts with a typewriter"?

Last edited by Jim Legg; 08/21/07 03:34 PM.

> Jim Legg <

An overbore with a Benelli, is rather than a .720 bore they are now .725. The former is the bore on my Sport and the latter is my Ultra Lite. I am not aware of any of those going .740.

Lenard

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim Legg, "By Jove Old Chap", caught me with Knickers Down" or should I say Panties!!! Oh No I ment Pants!!!Wonder where I caught the"Term" Shell from?. "Smiling from the Workshop" cc.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.