March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (DAM16SXS, GeorgeGibbs505, jcn, SKB, 1 invisible), 861 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, I don't think anything has happened in the last week or so to get rid of snow. So, that area you mention may still be in it. Check out some on-line cameras or make some calls.

There is effectively zero snow north of Ames, which is where I live, but I don't know how far I'd have to go to get to the snow line. Raptor populations are not super high, which suggests that the snow line is pretty far north of me.

Thinking about heading Northwest tomorrow, but maybe just west. Can't make up my mind.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

My friend who hunted deer for several days in southern Keokuk County--which is SW of Iowa City--said the problem down there was mud. Expect it might depend on how much snow they had to start with. (I know some areas had over a foot.) And then how much rain they got, which would have helped to get rid of the snow. But then you hope for cold weather to freeze the mud.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where I live in Kansas is now pretty much a "pheasant free" zone. Up until maybe 5 or 6 years ago finding pheasants was not a problem at all, they were everywhere. Except for some really good pockets they are now scarce. Quail have rebounded quite well but, for some reason not the pheasants. For example, on some ground of ours is a 40 acre patch on native prairie grass. Used to always be anywhere from 5 to 25 birds in it. Now lucky to see even one bird. And NO, absolutely NOTHING has changed habitat-wise anywhere even remotely near there other than normal yearly crop rotations. Why the quail have done well and not the pheasants is giant mystery. Have access to a massive amount of private ground and it is the same virtually everywhere.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: btdtst
Where I live in Kansas is now pretty much a "pheasant free" zone. Up until maybe 5 or 6 years ago finding pheasants was not a problem at all, they were everywhere. Except for some really good pockets they are now scarce. Quail have rebounded quite well but, for some reason not the pheasants. For example, on some ground of ours is a 40 acre patch on native prairie grass. Used to always be anywhere from 5 to 25 birds in it. Now lucky to see even one bird. And NO, absolutely NOTHING has changed habitat-wise anywhere even remotely near there other than normal yearly crop rotations. Why the quail have done well and not the pheasants is giant mystery. Have access to a massive amount of private ground and it is the same virtually everywhere.

Interesting that quail # have increased while pheasants appear to have gone the other way. Usually, good cover for quail is also good cover for pheasants. But the reverse isn't the case. Some very good pheasant cover can be too tall and too thick for quail.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if quail nesting habitat is particularly different than pheasant habitat, but if it is, that could easily be sufficient to drive the two species in opposite directions, as could competitive battles for key food resources.

Right now in central Iowa and west, early snows flattened a bunch of productive cover making it very difficult for pheasants, so they have concentrated in cattails - which are frozen "early" this year. As a result they are getting pounded hard. Lots of hens but roosters are declining faster than they have in recent years - or at least that is my personal observations.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

What about Northwest Kansas. I may be going there in 2019. My initial intel is that there are few pheasant but some quail. What do you know?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

Right now in central Iowa and west, early snows flattened a bunch of productive cover making it very difficult for pheasants, so they have concentrated in cattails - which are frozen "early" this year. As a result they are getting pounded hard. Lots of hens but roosters are declining faster than they have in recent years - or at least that is my personal observations.

The CRP cover I hunted a week ago Friday, north of Ames, was in excellent shape. The big storm that hit Iowa early was south of there. The worst, from what I saw as far as snowfall totals, was south of I-80. Southeast getting the most. The storm that followed that one was mostly up along the MN border.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For the last several years, we have been in a hole in the snowstorms. I haven't plowed my driveway in years.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So it looks like we are going to Kansas, leaving the day after X-mas.
Probably will start out around Salina. We are not sure if we should focus on heading north or south of I-70 from there. Any recent reports? I spoke to a friend who hunted near South Bend and got into alot of birds at the end of November, but he was guided ($350 per man/day..ouch!) and hunted all private land. We will be hunting walk-ins and any land we can gain permission by asking. Any info is welcome and appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a pretty stiff guiding fee. But if he got them into lots of birds . . .

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.