April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mark II, dukxdog, Ian Forrester, 3 invisible), 1,065 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,434
Posts544,719
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#530665 12/09/18 11:04 AM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dan asked me to post some pictures of his newly acquired left-handed deluxe Sedgley and for comparison, he's asked me to post pictures of a right-handed deluxe Sedgley.

Here are pictures of the Left-handed deluxe,

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

here are pictures of the right-handed and left-handed rifles together that show the engraving, the right-handed rifle is on top.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful craftsmanship
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

When the topic of left-hand Sedgley conversions came up some years ago, I offered the opinion that whoever did the conversions was the same operation that did them for G&H. I say that on the basis of having owned one of each and seeing how nearly identical the work is. The close proximity of the two companies might have been a factor. This is only the second Sedgley I've seen, and the G&H was the only one.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
I have yet to see a G&H LH so I can't comment but I do have another LH Sedgley but not Deluxe. In fact I now have 7 LH '03 Springfields.
The new LH Deluxe belonged to Cletus Klein who was left handed. I don't like the stock inlays but they are ebony & ivory but not very well done. All of the factory engraved Sedgleys I have seen used the same pattern as the above RH rifle but they were not done by the same engraver with many of the deer looking like dogs. When I got mine, Michael and I compared them and his deer was a dog but his scrolls were a bit better. But this new LH one has much better engraving and while the coverage is about the same it isn't the standard Sedgley pattern. My idea on this is that since the rifle was an NRA Sporter, it was probably sent to Sedgley to be converted to LH and built into a Deluxe version and maybe even asking for the different engraving pattern.
A couple interesting things about the two rifles, one the little button to release the front sight hood goes the opposite direction on the LH rifle and the other is that Sedgley used modified 1917 floor plates on many of their rifles and the RH version above is one of these converted 1917 FP.
Dan

Last edited by DanLH; 12/09/18 05:00 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan, the detail about the sight hood is great. They went the extra mile. My .270 Sedgley has the adapted floorplate. I can't imagine what caused them to do this. It's not as if '03 floorplates were in short supply. Maybe the depression made it necessary to cut every possible corner, even if the difference was only pennies. A few months ago I lucked into a Sedgley high wall in 22LR. It's in wonderful condition and shoots one hole groups at 50 yards. I'plan to try it in competition this spring. My left-hand Sedgley came to me as a barreled action. It's a 30-06. I stocked it as a deluxe Sedgley with a few details to suit my own tastes. It shoots really well./

Bill Ferguson

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.